New pop up, first overnight

Discussion in 'Camp Driveway' started by carguy4471, Mar 5, 2020.

1. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

There are a lot of good brands out there and a lot of bad ones. I have a couple of deep cell batteries that I got the Fleet Farm in Oakdale that have turned out to be fairly decent.

2. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter that East Penn makes them.

Several years ago there was an article in The WS Journal. Places like Walmart and Home Depot give the manufacturers specifications and the product is manufactured to those specifications. If Walmart says to make a lower tier or price point battery that is what is made. It doesn't matter that Interstate used to make their batteries.

In the above article Home Depot gave Delta specifications for a faucet that sold for a cheaper retail price giving the illusion you were getting a deal. The reality was they gutted the metal parts out of a popular model and replaced them with plastic. It looked exactly like the more expensive faucet because the out side was exactly the same. You got fooled.

It further discussed the model numbers. When the gutted model is made to cheaper specs they give it special model numbers to differentiate them from the upper or middle tier products. That's why two "identical" products can have different model number.

A motto I have lived by is you get what you pay for. The life span for the average Walmart battery is 2 or 3 years from what I have read and for a Trojan it is 8 to 10 years. I know, your Walmart battery lasted 20 years <GG>. Mine is 3 years old and has 3 weak cells and 3 marginally good cells. Weigh a Walmart battery then compare to other more expensive batteries of the same amp hour. There is a reason the more expensive battery weighs more. Its called lead.

There was a TV commercial decades ago. It was so funny because it was made by the advertising company for the crappiest oil filter manufacturer in the country. The story line spoken by the mechanic in the commercial was "You can pay me now or pay me later".

If I lived in a high crime neighborhood or was going to sell in a couple years I would buy a Walmart or Sam's special.

3. carguy4471

carguy4471 Active Member

Then there is the price to longevity equation. 3 walmart batteries could be less expensive than a trojan and skew the math. I don't know, I actually haven't looked. For the time being I'm going cheap-ish as I'm replacing a brand new battery that isn't of great quality to start with. I wont be too sad if I only get 3 years out of it.

4. Allamakee County

Allamakee County Member

We dont use our furnace at all, we use a My Buddy propane space heater. Saves the juice for lights and keeps the pup much warmer!

yost likes this.
  5. JohnWI

JohnWI Member

When a youth, we rarely used a coleman white gas heater but never cared for the smell (aka monoxide). Not sure I'd like anything similar unless in dire straights.

Since getting my own popup, we've used our heater only a few times. 1) We have a "100"w solar panel which does a nice job, 2) Learned that we set the thermostat at the lowest setting so it cycles at about 50d which is all we really need.

Last year we didn't use it on our 11 week outing from WI to the entire Western half. Yeah, my wife did bundle up more and it got down to about 35. One extra blanket each goes a long way.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Sounds like you had a good time.

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas so it wasn't CO you were smelling. :oops:

8. danointhenw

danointhenw New Member

OK, I give up. What's a pug?

9. GreyFox

danointhenw likes this.
  10. danointhenw

danointhenw New Member

Ah Ha! Thanks!

11. mk4

mk4 Member

12.0 V on most charts puts it at about 25%. I think g24 batteries are about 70 Ah. So, you used ~50 Ah.

You probably have the standard 16k btu atwood/suburban furnace. I believe it's stated to draw ~4 A. So if it ran 12 hours continuous, that'd be 48 Ah. So the numbers make sense.

Try inserting just reflectix in all the windows (bunk ends too) and run an experiment to see if the furnace cycles less (or you battery has a higher than 12.0 V) in the morning.

I'm curious as to how they help.

I know that drawing the curtains on the main walls and bunk ends helps quite a bit. I usually draw the curtains and close off the bunk ends before bed. I can feel about a 10 degree difference behind the curtain.

12. GreyFox

12.0 volts unloaded is just under 50% depletion, not 25% which is far too much draw down on any flooded, AGM, or GEL battery and should be avoided as much as possible.

[​IMG]

Using PUGs over the bunk ends and Reflectix window inserts make a HUGE difference in maintaining a comfortable interior temperature and significantly reduce how often the furnace needs to run to maintain it.

13. BikeNFish

See my THREAD from yesterday. I use both PUGS and Reflectix.

14. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

When you folks talk about reflectix, is there a reason that you only do the windows? (instead of the whole side) I guess there is the matter of it staying in place, but that seems like a minor concern, vs the heat loss/gain factor.

The second factor I had was why everyone was very keen on PUGS- . doesnt it just seem like reflectix for the outside?

15. BikeNFish

The bunk ends tend to hold the most heat then it works its way to the rest of the pup. This can be just enough to make the AC or fan more efficient. I use my awning to keep the sun off of the side of my pup. I personally wouldn't want to use reflectix on the entire side of the camper because I don't want to make my pup look like the Tin Man.

That is exactly what it is. Used in conjunction with the window reflex, it keeps the bunk end cooler.

16. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

they do make white reflectix. (well white on one side). I have a roll here, I just figured given its width (4 feet) I might as well try and do a little more with it.