New pop up owers, water hearted question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chris Baker, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

My fiancé and I recently bought and are learning our 98 Coleman fleetwood grandview sp. can’t seem to get the water heater to work on electricity or LP, I can get flame on the pilot, but won’t stay lit for long….any suggestions? Thanks

Chris and Kim

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. Cut the propane valve off for a couple of minutes and let the safety valve reset. Then open the valve slow. Slowly pressurize the gas line. Then try to light the water heater again.

Our water heater has 120vac switches inside the camper and in the water heater compartment. Both have to be on to heat water with electric.

3. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

I tried that, but no go. The flame stays on for a few minutes intermittently, then goes out, but the compartment next door, where the furnace is, stays on. I get hot water for a second then it goes right back to cold. I never noticed the switch before so I’ll give that a try and get back to you. Thank you.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

First off download the manual for your water heater form the web. Decode the model number and you will know how your water heater operates. Some are all manual, some are self igniting gas and some also have an electric heater. Thats where I would start.
    Welcome.png

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. Chris Baker

Chris Baker New Member

I’m on it. I have the manuals for everything else it seems, but no H2O heater, so I’ll start searching and being there. Was hoping to find a few other owners of my particular model on here to share any secrets of operations (as a whole), because some of these manuals don’t give you every detail or in/and out you’d like to know. It’s a new world for us, we’re excited but a bit clueless in our first few trips. We’ll keep reading as much as we find until it’s 2nd nature. Thanks guys and gals.

6. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

Welcome from NY. Best to you in your new adventures!

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Usally when the flame dosen't stay lit, i replace the thermocouple first. Its probably like 15 bucks. I had a 2000 coleman, mine did not have an electric mode. It was gas only and had to be lit outside, take a picture of it so we can see what your working with. If it has a electric mode it may not be original. And you have to make sure its full of water , so make sure it isnt bypassed.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Just throwing this out there as bugs sometimes like to make nests in the propane lines. It's possible there may be enough gas flow to light but not enough to sustain.

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

The pilot needs to heat the thermocouple sensor sufficiently before it will stay lit. On mine I have to keep the pilot engaged for a couple minutes before it will register and call for full gas. Once that happens you are usually good, and the pilot should stay lit after the water reaches temp. Make sure the heater is full too - you don't want to be warming an empty tank.