New Pop-up Owner Looking for Advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Emily M Warner, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Emily M Warner

Emily M Warner New Member

So, my husband and I just bought a 2001 Coleman Bayside Elite. We live in Louisiana and will be using it off and on year round, as weather permits. It needs a little work, but is completely usable as is. We have tent camped for years, but this will be our first pop-up. I will post questions where I think they belong.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    1380ken likes this.
  2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Your '01 Bayside doesn't have canvas tenting but rather breathable Sunbrella. Follow the cleaning instructions in your owner's manual, if you don't have one you can download it here ...

https://colemanpopupparts.com/pages/owners-manuals

Your best bet in repairing the ABS roof is to search these forums for discussions from others who have attempted repair themselves.

3. Emily M Warner

Thank you! I've been looking for the roof stuff and I'm going to repost my questions in the proper place!

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png

5. GreyFox

Hopefully you realize that properly repairing a failed Fleetwood ABS roof is not just a simple matter of painting over the failed areas with some sort of product. A few owners have gone so far as to remove the entire outside ABS skin so they could then recoat the interior foam core with some form of liquid coating. Not a simple matter to be sure and often requires removing the roof entirely from the trailer so you can properly work on it in a dry area such as a workshop. Good luck! [:D]

Emily M Warner likes this.
  6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Welcome to PopUpPortal

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

8. Emily M Warner

I have looked into the proper repairs for the roof, yes. We are deciding which would be better in our case. I am personally leaning towards a total removal and redo with spray on bed liner, but also looking at stop drilling cracks and doing a MEK repair then sealing it.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from Dukes Fl. Congrats on the NTU PUP. About those questions just ask away and I am sure someone can and will assist you. Good Luck and happy Camping

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Some have had luck with the mek and fixing the roof, i didnt. Tbh i would remove it. But if its not delaminating why bother, it will not leak, even if it delaminates. The removel is more for if big peices catch the wind and do more damage, to your camper or someone else. Small cracks i wouldn't bother with. Remove it when and if needed.

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

12. GreyFox

I'd respectfully have to disagree - any imperfection of the exterior surface of a Fleetwood ABS Strata roof that can allow water to penetrate to the interior will cause rapid degradation of the roof. Fleetwood's ABS roof suffered many failures - lateral sag, delamination of the outer skin, bubbling, blistering, and cracking of the outer skin, and partial or full loss of the perimeter seal. [:(!]

I kept our 2000 Santa Fe, which we had purchased new, in my heated workshop year round yet 3 yrs into ownership the roof suddenly (over the course of just a couple of months) started to delaminate along the curb side sidewall. [:(!] I was lucky (sort of!) as the delamination never got any worse and we used that camper for another 3 yrs before selling it in order to switch to camping with a hybrid. However, had the roof suffered any sort of failure of the outer skin other than delamination I'd have addressed it ASAP in order to avoid the eventual destruction of the roof by water penetration.

13. Sjm9911

So , you dissagree with me and yet you had small cracks and did nothing with them for the 3 years after you noticed them? Ok if you say so.

The point is that when fixing coating the small cracks they did stay fixed. Your millage may very.

14. Sjm9911

The cracks did not stay fixed for me. ( cant edit bad signal).

15. GreyFox

No, I said the roof delaminated along the curb side of the roof, no cracks of any kind at all. No need to be so touchy about this, I'm merely stating what happened to my own ABS Strata roof - delamination. [:(O]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

You had delamination without any cracks? I would think micro cracks of some sort! Sorry driving and trying to add info. My main point is i think its useless to fix uless you remove the abs. Yea , it will get worse, but will not leak. 2nd rest stop in 23 miniuts for my kid, im going no where fast.

17. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

sjm9911 did u complete ur paperwork at the rest stop? ;)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. GreyFox

Exactly. I first noticed the delamination one winter day when the camper was parked inside and for some reason had lifted the awning bag - to say I was surprised & disappointed was an understatement. :( To a casual observer this delamination wouldn't have necessarily been noticeable but when I ran my hand along the roof sidewall I could definitely feel how wavy it was. I spoke to my dealer about it and was told to bring the camper to them in the spring once the snow was gone. This I did and after taking a look the parts manager said I'd qualify for a new replacement AlumiTite roof. Initially I agreed but when I later learned that although there would be no charge for the roof I'd have to pay a freight charge of $750 I declined. Good thing I did as the AlumiTite roof proved to be a terrible design that leaked like a sieve for most owners. The delamination never got any worse and didn't affect how the roof sealed to the trailer's body rail nor did the roof ever suffer any other failures, which I'm convinced is because I stored the camper indoors for the 6 yrs we owned it.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the NTU Pup and Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.