new popups??

artist143tm

I love camping!
Jun 20, 2012
We are looking to either buy a small camper or a newer popup sometime next year...
Which brand is more recommended? Rockwood/Flagstaff?, Somerset?, Jayco?

We are looking for a popup with at least a 12' box, a shower/toilet combo and a slide out dinette. All of the above brands have floor plans with these features. Just wondering which ones are built better, have lifts that will last, will be a good investment and be worth the purchase price??

All advice appreciated...

pckeen

Super Active Member
Oct 28, 2013
Jayco and Coleman/Fleetwood are popular brands here. Jayco had the best warranty in the business, and backs it up.

Sent from my SGH-I717R using Tapatalk

novagirl

retired camper
Jul 13, 2011
Partial to Jayco. Had three of their TT with zero problems. Would highly recommend their products and they have the best warranty in the business.

Unstable_Tripod

Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
Seattle, Washington
If the OP wants a new PUP Coleman/Fleetwood is out of the question because they are out of business. I've head a lot of bad stuff about Somerset (the "heir" to Coleman/Fleetwood) so I wouldn't get one of those. A friend has a Rockwood that he is happy with but I can't say that means all Rockwoods are great.

CamL48

Super Active Member
Feb 20, 2012
Agree 100% with UT regarding C/F and Somerset. Could be that Somerset is being unfairly compared to the old C/F, could be that it's a small sample size (vocal minority), or some other dynamic, but it seems like feedback has been pretty spotty.

Though I've not owned one, I read quite a bit here about the other brands and they seem pretty equivalent to one another, regarding quality. Every brand will have its lemons.

Good luck.

niagarafam

Super Active Member
Jan 25, 2014
For pop ups only, if we had it to do over, we would go with a large Jayco. If we were to start all over looking at all types of campers, we would look seriously at large Chalets, Trail Manors, or maybe a Cruiser RV TT (Shadow Cruiser or Fun Finder). Others can, but we cannot recommend Somerset or CNW products.
M&K

nrg2brn

Apr 17, 2011
I had heard coleman was going out of business, but what about Fleetwood popups? are they also? I just bought a 2008, I thought I was safe. please advise.

as far as new, you cant go too wrong with jayco. but value minded customers often choose palomino, haven't heard much bad about those. most of these things use the same components anyway. I had a starcraft once that was very good as well.

ghacker

Super Active Member
Nov 8, 2009
Don't forget Starcraft. Since Jayco owns them, basically the same. But they are built in a different factory and seem to have a little better fit/finish. JMO.

Nrg2brn, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Coleman, Fleetwod, FTCA are all the same product line. Just different owners. Somerset is the closest thing of the old Coleman line as they bought the patent rights and some of the machine tooling, but they are not identical to the old Coleman/Fleetwwood/FTCA products. And as mentioned earlier, it seems that they have problems with quality control from what you hear on PUP sites.

1951 bear

Super Active Member
Jun 11, 2009
leitchfield, kentucky
I agree with most. Jayco/Starcraft and Forrest River brand would top my list on new PUPs. In the used market condition would become one of my main considerations. Brand preference might rule the day if the decision came down to picking from a number of campers that met the condition and equipment specs (personal preference on the specs). Every brand has its bad dogs and ugly ducklings. To me the used market is all about condition. A bit of questioning on this board about a particular model that you may find on your search will soon uncover any skeletons in the closet.

Enjoy the search. Don't settle for a dud when there are good, well maintained PUPs out there.

BEAR

Ken1967

Can't wait to Camp!
Apr 9, 2010
Since there are very few independent brands making PUPs... whatever brand you buy is likely has several sister/brother brands made by the same company. Forest River makes several brands... I have found that all are about the same in quality of construction... options mainly the same... especially since just about every facet of the unit is subcontracted out (i.e. Dometic fridge, Suburban furnace... etc.). So if you absolutely need new... shop around... find what features you like and get the one with the best price! Remember prices are negotiable... Manufactured Suggested Retail Prices are very high. All you have to do is go to a big RV sale and see how much they can actually discount a price. Good luck! [PU]

Xiongmao12

Jul 24, 2013
I wouldn't go so far as to say not to buy a Somerset. I bought an E3 last year and overall am happy with it. Many years ago we bought a new Coleman Rio Grande and then later a Nash TT. We've liked all of them. While there are some lemons out there, which I'm sure has happened to some on the portal, that doesn't make the entire line bad. Some people's experience may be with their dealer. I have a great dealer (bought our Coleman from the same dealer) who went through the set up with me. Then after a couple months I took the trailer back for some work. Some of the items had nothing to do with Somerset. One of the propane tanks leaked. The dealer replaced it with a new full tank. My key didn't work on the door. It turns out the dealer gave us the wrong key when we took possession of the trailer. Not that the key really provides much security since anyone can get in by opening up the velcro and unlocking the door. The floor near the dinette does sag, but I found out from a Coleman Evolution Facebook group that even some of the Coleman's sag in the same place. I suspect that is a design flaw from Coleman that Somerset didn't change. Someone posted their fix to that issue a couple months ago. My main complaint would be some of the workmanship such as trim on cabinets. However, I believe quality workmanship is an issue across most industries. I can complain about my Nash TT and my new Ford as well. There are definitely things on my new car that should not have happened. This certainly doesn't excuse the workmanship at Somerset or any other industry. Overall my experience has been good, and there is nothing that I can legitimately send back to Somerset. Most importantly, we're out camping and having fun with it.

SidecarMike

Jan 13, 2014
I have a 2003 Rockwood, and previously, a 1998 Jayco. Though we are very happy with the Rockwood, I have to admit the build quality is not up to Jayco standards. They both look nice, but the Jayco was much more solid. As a mechanical kind of guy, I notice that kind of thing. Everything from the fasteners to the frame and wiring is more stout and better laid out on the Jayco.

rob2218

Super Active Member
Feb 25, 2014
Nobody mentioned the QuickSilver line? The top of the line one?
you can add those amenities can't you?

armyguy

US [USA]
Dec 6, 2004
Asheville NC
Would recommend Jayco, as an owner of the 1206 floor plan I am partial to it, but that said this is my third PUC and by far the Jayco has been the best against the Viking,and Flagstaff.
It really comes down to personal preference, does the room fit my needs?, does it have amenities I need or just "nice to have"? Will it function with a growing family? Will my current TV handle the load? You can ask 100 people which is the best and you will get close to 100 different answers. I wish you luck in your quest and this portal will definitely give you good guidance.

Redman53

Apr 25, 2014
Unstable_Tripod said:
If the OP wants a new PUP Coleman/Fleetwood is out of the question because they are out of business. I've head a lot of bad stuff about Somerset (the "heir" to Coleman/Fleetwood) so I wouldn't get one of those. A friend has a Rockwood that he is happy with but I can't say that means all Rockwoods are great.
I have a rockwood freedom and love it so far, it's a 2280 with shower toilet combo but do not have the dinnet slide out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccptbo

Super Active Member
Jun 8, 2013
Peterborough area, ON
We love our Jayco Qwest 12A. But we are a little partial to it, since we've only ever had this one!
My sister has a Jayco as well and loves it. Other friends have had other pup's, and traded them in for a Jayco.
I can't compare to others, unfortunately, but Jayco seems to be pretty good! Let us know how you decide!

95Rio

Aug 27, 2013
We have had 2 used Colemans, and just purchased a 2015 Jayco 1207 UD. While it was over $10K new, we absolutely love it! We tow with a new Dodge Grand Caravan and it does great!

artist143tm

I love camping!
Jun 20, 2012
Thanks everyone!

We have a Rockwood dealer and a Jayco dealer not far from us. We are going out of town this weekend so we will have a chance to look at the Rockwoods (just to check them out). Later we will prob go check the Jaycos out. I appreciate the advice!

JungleJim

Super Active Member
Feb 25, 2008
rob2218 said:
Nobody mentioned the QuickSilver line? The top of the line one?
you can add those amenities can't you?
Yes, you can get ones now with stoves, hot water heaters, cassette toilet, AC, etc.. But the OP mentioned that he wanted a 12 foot box, which Livinlite still does not make (they do make larger TT's).
This is our 5th summer with our QS 10.0. The thing is still like brand new. Will never rot. Will never rust.

For a 12 foot box, I would go Jayco. Jayco has always been the best at backing up their warranty.