New Roof or Factory 2nd?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Scotgrob, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Scotgrob

Scotgrob New Member

Anyone know where I can get a new roof or maybe a factory 2nd for my Fleetwood Bayside? I've been to the RV surplus stores in Elkhart, In and the Sturgis/White Pigeon areas of Michigan, with no luck. years ago, I used to be able to find roof shells easy and cheap in northern Indiana, but they seem to have disappeared. I even went to Jayco, Forest River, and Viking. Viking was the only one to give me any encouraging news (If you can call it encouraging), and they said they were backed up 12 to 18mos. If I can't find one by next spring, I'll start rebuilding. I was just thinking it would be quicker easier if I could get roof already assembled.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Allamakee County likes this.
  3. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Hate to say it I'm with rebuilding. Even if you found a roof long enough it might not fit widthwise and the anchor points will be in the wrong place. Jaycos used a very thin narrow lift post (not sure if they still do) while the Fleetwood's have a wider one.

Allamakee County likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Whats exactly wrong with the old one and what type of roof is it?

6. Scotgrob

Scotgrob New Member

'08 Fleetwood Bayside - Looks like it's 3 piece (2 end caps and a center). The back end (where the spare tire is) is soft, wet, and there are carpenter ants coming out of it. I thought I found and fixed the leak last summer. I have the roof rack, and I believe the leak was coming from the screws. I pulled every screw and filled the holes with caulk, then re-installed the screws, thinking that would be the end of it. Until I found the carpenter ants about a month ago. I also noticed what looks like black dirt on the ceiling, in 2 spots. That has to be mold - which means the leak is still active, and not just at the end of the roof. I'm going to take off the end-cap when/if I can get enough dry days to do so, but I live near Lake Michigan, and the weather is unpredictable at this time of year. I know the anchor points are different for different brands of camper, but I'm handy enough to change out the hardware, that's why I was trying to get a Jayco (I only live about 40 miles from their headquarters). I'll rebuild if I have to next Spring, but I don't have a barn or workshop, so I'd be at the mercy of the elements when I go to do it. That's why I was trying to go the fast/cheap route, looking for a factory 2nd. Less time to convert a Jayco to work than to rebuild. But... it's looking like I'm going to be Frankensteining this puppy. That's ok. I have a saw table, drills, hand saws, time....So I'm going to tear that puppy apart!

7. Scotgrob

Scotgrob New Member

Oh, as for the liftposts on the Jaycos - Yes, they were narrow. Jayco stopped building pups 2 years ago. I wasn't aware until I drove over to Middlebury (their headquarters). From what I've found, there are only a couple of companies building pups at the moment. Surprised the daylights out of me. But, since I was willing to strip the hardware off of the current roof, I wasn't worried. The roof shells used to be cheap/plentiful in this area. That resource probably dried up about the time Jayco stopped making pups.

8. pm3579

pm3579 Indiana U.S.A.

Repair your wood and cover it with totally adhered TPO or PVC membrane.

9. Scotgrob

Scotgrob New Member

That's an idea. I also thought about replacing the plywood with plexiglass - but I think the cost would be prohibitive.