New Spare!

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by tiltshift, Oct 17, 2021.

1. tiltshift

tiltshift Member

2 years after I bought the trailer, I remembered that we didn't upgrade the spare when we went to 13" wheels from 12" to get the electric brakes on the axle.

Project of the week:
    matching up and replacing the spare to match....
    I picked up a LT175/80R13 at Canadian Tire, but didn't realize the two one the trailer were bias ply. Returned to Canadian tire and picked up a Hi-run LT175/80D13 tire and wheel combo.
    Even though the tire specs are identical, the Hi-run looked slightly bigger in diameter than the Tow-rites that were installed. Also slightly different tread pattern.

I jacked up the trailer, swapped the tire and checked. Seemed to fit, with enough gap between the tire and fender, but strange that even though the specs were identical, tire size seems to differ. The trailer does sit on a slope on the driveway though, so one side leaf spring may have been loaded more that the other. I will have to check again on level ground. Oh well, at least I have a matching spare!

Attached Files:

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

LT is light truck. I though that we were meant to used ST (trailer) tires.

Just asking (becasue I keep thinking about 13" wheels) - I don't want to start another mega thread on tires.

\I noticed the "D"13 tires in Tractor Supply yesterday - and was wondering what they were (i.e., apparently not radials).

3. tiltshift

tiltshift Member

Whoops, you are right. Typo on my part. The tires are ST175/80D13, not LT.

Not a huge deal if they are LT, imho. Light truck tires can be used on trailers, but STs can't be used on trucks. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Radial tires are better, since roll cooler with less friction, and tire construction is better, but I got bias(D) since the tires on there already are D, and dont wanna mix and match across the axle, even if it is a spare.