New stabilizers help

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Welderman85, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Welderman85

Welderman85 Member

Hello my pup came with the swing down style And the rears don't hold all that great. I would like to switch styles. What are the pros and cons of the arm style vs the scissor style. Thanks

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Scissor is much better. Think like a jack on your car. The other one, i have 0 experience with, they work but not as well.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

My Apache had the swing down telescoping style. I thought they worked great for a lighter trailer. It came factory equipped one one each corner like most trailers, plus one next to the step.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. John6239

John6239 New Member

I have both on mine - scissor in the back, telescoping in the front. I prefer the scissor, but the telescoping work fine for my needs. They are usually cheaper too.

5. Drufus

Drufus Member

Swing style, quick and easy. Dont forget the steel rod that goes through the holes to create jack tension. It was missing when I bought my camper, i would just lower the jack without any tension before I realized I needed the steel rod.

1. [​IMG]
    2. [​IMG]
    3. [​IMG]

xxxapache likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I hated my drop down on my old Jayco. On my new to me Utah I have something like this: with sand pads. I like it so much better then the drop down but that long screw like thing needs to be oiled like every other trip otherwise it squeaks like crazy.
    • [​IMG]
    BAL 23025 Tent Trailer Stabilizer - 17-Inches

7. Welderman85

Welderman85 Member

How dose this type compare to scissor style. I found an set of those used forsale i was thinking of grabbing

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Can’t help you with that. The only time I’ve seen a scissor style is on Travel trailers so my guess what I have works the same as scissors but not as robust and folds up higher so clearance is not an issue. Personally if you found a scissor style on sale I say why not try it, if it doesn’t work just sell it.

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Swing down stabilizers are more stable because of fewer moving parts. Scissor style has many joints to flex and the further extended, the more flex. They make stabilizers for scissor stabilizers.

Stabilizer stabilizer.png

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    xxxapache likes this.
  10. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

I have the BAL style above on my 2001 Jayco. They work very well and have quite a bit of reach. We put them in contact with the ground first and the pop up and once we get everything all set up, we put a bit more tension on them and the camper is rock solid. They don't protrude much at all when up all the way.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I think thats more for when your at max extension, put a block under it and it dosen't move at all. Because its stronger when its not all the way out. In fact, when deployed correctly, with chocks I have zero movement in the camper. Both my pup and TT have the screw type jacks. Its not the moving parts, its the extention height.

12. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

we have this style and like it just fine. Because we did the SOA lift we also put Ikea "bed lifts" under the ends of the arm. All our arms have the circular pads on the end.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The original stabilizers on our first popup were the drop down style. While they were mostly ruined by the time we bought it, we could tell that they had no way to fine tune the fit, so to speak, in a site. We used stack jacks, front and back instead.
    Our second popup and current small TT both have had the type jmkay1 references. We put sand pads on them. We use at least one Lynx block and cap under them in many sites, even with the sand pads, the blocks help with sinking, etc. Especially now that the trailer has been lifted a bit (we didn't change out the stabs), we often use a stack of Lynx under each stab - it seems that they give more stability if they aren't cranked out to the max. We also use a stack under the tongue jack, for the same reason, and it reduces cranking for both jack and stabs.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Sjm9911 likes this.