New stairs for the pup....at last...

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Bradley E Dixon, May 21, 2020.

1. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon Member

Not gonna lie....but my factory entry steps suck. Every time I had to go in/out of the camper they twisted and flexed so bad all I could think was "this...this is how I end"
    They were not good from the day I bought it, and for this season of camping.....the wifey gave me "ok honey....do what you do....." So I ordered up a MORryde detachable/adjustable step. IMG_20200521_211405424.jpg
    Got them installed tonight

Not difficult, a slight bracket mod due to the frame being about 2" too short on the wheel well side to get them centered, but overall they work really good

2. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

Tell me more about this... DW is starting to have a difficult time getting in and out. Coleman has a "unique" set of steps on our Niagara. The opening is too big for a "small" width steps, and too small for a "normal" width steps.
    I don't want to mount a set of steps on the wood floor instead of the frame.I

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Is the doorway wide enough to stow the steps like (travel trailer) normal?

4. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon Member

Our camper is the "toyhauler" model so she sits pretty high off the ground. The factory steps are a 2 step configuration.
    These MORryde steps come in a variety of sizes 2-3-4 steps. They mount to the trailer frame under the door with 2 brackets that are drilled/screwed into the actual camper frame. They have 2 quick release buttons that are pressed to release the spring loaded clamp that holds them in place.
    You then attach/remove them when you are setting up/down and store them for travel.
    They are larger in width than the actual door but in my opinion alot more stable. This setup ran me about $275 with shipping included. IMG_20200521_211429632.jpg

neighbormike likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

How easy/hard is it to disconnect and where would you store it? They do look nice and stable although I do question how they will fit on Un level Sites. A lot of places I camp even my single step brushes up against the ground. Then again I have the stock height for my popup so it rides lower then a TT etc.

6. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon Member

For me storage is easy, I have a large open front deck with ramp/railings to tie them too.
    The bottom legs are independently extendable. In the pics they are fully extended as my driveway has a mean slope. The 2 step ver. like I have has a max height is 27"
    Hope this helps.

7. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon Member

Found this on YOUTUBE -

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

That is pretty cool. If I had a higher clearance pup that would be on the top of my list. As it stands, mine had a provision for a slide out single step, but it was not on there when I bought it. I used a cheap folding plastic one that the PO has used, but it eventually broke and was really not wide enough to use either.

I ended up getting an aluminum Camco folding step with adjustable legs, and it was perfect for me. Has enough height to handle most unlevel campsites I have been in, is super wide so you don't have to worry about where you are putting your foot, and I can use it as a platform when trying to squish down the roof at the end of the trip.

Bradley E Dixon likes this.