New stereo install with pics

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Freedom72, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

Installed a Kenwood stereo today...Waterproof Poly Planar Speakers should be here in a few days for outside the pup,so more pics to come

Had to reinforce the spot that I installed the radio in due to super thin wood on the face of the cabinet

Liquid nails to hold small piece of 1/4 plywood and also use a metal band to hold some of the weight of the radio

I will also be installing a speaker inside the pup on the outside of one of the dinette benches

Not sure what size or what brand speaker I will use for inside the pup...

Also what size fuse should I be using in the in-line fuse holder going to the battery?

I'm using a 20 amp mini fuse but is that too large of a fuse? Thanks for any help
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. electronflux

electronflux Member

nice

not sure about the fuse size. Is the stereo wire directly to the battery or does it go through the converter? If it goes through the converter you should be fine, depending on what other appliances are on that circuit too.

3. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

Yes I'm running directly to the battery...

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Typical car stereo have anywhere from 5 amp to a 10 amp fuse. My truck has 10 amp, my JeePs had 7.5 amp and my Mustang had a 5 amp fuse. Any one of these should do fine.

5. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    The fuse would depend upon the size of the internal amplifiers. 10A should probably be sufficient.

I'd love to have some more information on those waterproof poly planar speakers! I've been a big fan of planars for years. I have a marine sub to handle the low end, so planars would be great!

I use 6.5" MTX marine speakers inside and outside my camper. They aren't audiophile quality, but they are pretty nice.

6. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

I will let you know how the Planar's work out...

7. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

remember that car stereos have a constant parasitic draw on the battery to keep the memory of the radio stations that you program into it. so even if you shut it off, if it is still connected to the battery, it will still draw power like your propane detector does in the PUP. you dont want to open the PUP up at the campsite with no electricity to find out the battery is dead [:O]

8. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

No I always disconnect my battery when the pup is not being used...So I don't really have to worry about any draw on my battery.

9. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

I finally got around to installing the water-proof 4 1/2" Poly Planar marine speakers. Really happy with the way the install turned out. I made some mounting plates out of aluminum so I could mount the speakers under the pup so they wouldn't stick out.

These are perfect little speakers for camping because they are not overly loud,their small and can be mounted in tight spots. They have a nice sound to them for a small speaker. But if your looking for big bass these Poly Planar's are not for u.

80 Watts per pair Poly Planar MA840 Subcompact marine speakers
    Impedance 4ohms
    Dual cone design
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Looks great. Now you need the sub!

[​IMG]

11. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

nice sub! but i won't be doing a sub...What I need now is sugestions on what speaker to install inside the pup

I want a 4-5" round 3 way speaker to mount in the end of my dinette seat...

I will only be installing 1 inside the pup

Thanks for any sugestions

12. pupateer

pupateer Native Texan

Looks good! I would suggest making some rock guards for the speakers though...

13. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

Funny you say that ,I was thinking about putting mud flaps behind my tires to keep debri off off the rear speaker...I'm also in the process of making some speaker covers. Now that you say rock gaurds maybe I'll make some padded covers for the speakers

Here's a better pic of the Poly Planar's installed under the pup
    [​IMG]

14. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

Nice work. I should do something like that.

15. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

I finally got the speaker hooked up inside the pup on the end of the dinette seat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. GetOutSide

GetOutSide Let's go get lost...

Nice. I'm going to put my 1000W JL amp & L7 Sub in, just to shake my camper to bits. [LOL] Just kidding... but I may put a better head unit in my Evolution so I can wire the fader to control the outside speakers. One of the $%&@#$ stupidest things I've ever seen is the indoor and outdoor speakers on at the same time, so I can't listen to anything without sharing it. I mean, I realize it's a tent, but still...

Does anyone know of a good quality LOW POWER-USING head unit?

17. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Here's a cheap and easy solution:

[​IMG]

I installed a speaker selector switch from Radio Shack. I can choose my indoor or outdoor speakers (or both). I also have a set of wires running to a set of outdoor jacks that I can plug more speakers into if I want to!

18. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Doesn't the stereo also have a fade option? Couldn't you just put the inside speakers on the "front" and the outside speakers on the "rear" and adjust using that.

19. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

Wouldn't it be better to disconnect the external speakers for drive time? Otherwise, I'm liking your set up.

Ciao,

20. GetOutSide

GetOutSide Let's go get lost...

Not that I can tell - I'm an audiophile who's pretty good, but I still could be wrong.