New tire goes BOOM!

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Andy G., Aug 11, 2019.

1. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

After a nice weekend of camping, we were returning home when we had a blowout on the brand new driver's side pup tire. Pulled over to change it, but discovered the spare wouldn't fit, even though it was THE SAME SIZE AND MANUFACTURER! The spare tire was considerably taller & wouldn't fit in the wheel well. Fortunately, we were only 25 miles from home, so we unhitched, and left the pup by the side of the highway. Went home and retrieved one of the older tires I had removed this spring. Got it changed & headed home. Guess I'm done with Carlyle tires.

2. Annunzi

Annunzi Member

That seems strange? Are you sure the spare tire and the wheel were the exact same size as the one you replaced? Wheel diameter, aspect ratio and width? Also the wheel width and offset? I know on our car, because there was so little wheel well clearance, even the slightest difference in size meant the tire wouldn't fit.

Andy G. likes this.
  3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

If you bought two of those new tires you would be well served to inspect the other one carefully.
    This condition is not limited to one brand of tire.
    I have owned Carlisle tires and have had no problems. Had that problem with Kenda once but I still buy Kenda tires.

theseus and Andy G. like this.
  4. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

Thanks folks. Yes, two new Carlisle 5.3x12 wheels with tires already mounted. Both new stock, made in 2018. The spare is also a Carlisle 5.3x12 but was there when I bought the PUP. It looks to be unused, so I kept it. One would certainly assume these should be an exact match, but they aren't. I will contact Carlisle for guidance on this.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Something wrong since both are the same size and brand????

6. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

Definitely something was wrong. I'm thinking the tire was mislabeled.

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Was one bias ply and the other radial?

On mine a fully inflated spare won't slide between the camper frames without some serious finagling.

8. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

My question is what was the load rating? I’m guessing it was a B. You should move up a letter. Higher load rated tires will cost more, but in my experience, are good insurance against possible overloading and blow outs.

tombiasi likes this.
  9. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

Thanks everyone. Both running tires were bias, both C-rated for load. They were a new matched pair, installed over the winter while in storage. I'm starting to think I just ran over something and blew the tire. Seems the most logical explanation. As for the weird-sized spare (C-rated also) that was on the camper when I bought it, it was in good shape, so I kept it. I have no explanation for the size difference.
    Andy

10. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

Ok define won't fit. You mean the spare had 4 holes and the new tires had 5, which is hard to believe. Or they both had 5 holes but they had different hole spacing or one tire was larger or smaller in diameter than the other??? a 5:30 x 12 is a 5:30 x 12 no matter where you purchase. How much pressure did the tire that blew out have in it and did you check the other one?
    Was your spare a radial by chance?

11. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

Both tires were 4-hole, same marked size and rating. The spare was physically larger in diameter and wouldn't fit into the wheel well. Both tires had 80psi, and both bias ply. Very strange.

12. wmgeorge

wmgeorge Member

You need to look closer at the tire size imprinted in the tire rubber something is not the same. Are those tires marked for 80 psi? Most are only 65. Nope online shows 80 psi. Load range C 1025 lbs?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Strange indeed! The size is actually molded with the tire, so I can wrap my head around how this could happen. Looking them up a 5.30x12 has a 21.9" diameter. I just measured mine with a tape measure and they are more like 21.5". Three tires two brands and the spare is new never bolted to anything but the spare tire mount.