New tires - install or have installed?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by thethird152, Aug 9, 2015.

1. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

So, we've completed our relocation to Raleigh, and that 200 mile trip down 421 was the last gamble I take with the original tires on my rig. They've never shown me a single problem, but enough folks agree that these tires are time bombs so the next item on my list is new rubber.

Our cash is a little low after the move, but since we just moved everything we own I got a wonderful education about all the stuff we've been dragging around for years that we don't need anymore - craigslist here I come!

My question is - in your opinion, would you jack the pup up on your own, remove the wheels and take them to the tire shop or would you pull the camper to the tire place and let them do the lifting? I want to get the bearings repacked also, and I'm comfortable doing that on my own, I've just not ever jacked up my pup before, and quite honestly, would rather someone else do it, in Raleigh, in August.

I tend to prefer to do this type of thing myself to make sure it's done properly, but my F.I.L. swears by the guys at the local Discount Tire (he has a pup and 5 or 6 cars - he buys a lot of tires). Just interested in your opinions.

Thanks!

2. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Get them shipped to you and switch them out yourself.... the tire and wheel. Especially if you are able to do your own bearings. Shop around and check prices AND the date codes BEFORE you buy then check this place. Call them to verify how fresh the tire is after you see how low their prices are.

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/

My last 3 tires/wheels bought there and I saved over $75 over etrailer prices for the same tire/wheel and all were fresher and name brand. Cant recommend them enough.

Use the old set as winter storage tires

3. thethird152

Thanks for the input Ryan, I'll check it out. My rig uses full sized light truck tires, and I have no idea how I'd get them mounted onto the rim on my own.

4. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

I bought Loadstar ST185/80D13's from Etrailer about 15 months ago and have been very pleased. I do my own installs, brakes, bearings, etc. as well.

5. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We upgraded our tires to a D load tire but kept our rims. I took the tires to a tire shop that put on the new ones and balanced them. If I was ordering a pre mounted and balanced tire and wheel, I would do it myself. But ordering just tires to go on existing rims, I wanted someone with the equipment to do it.

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

since you are buying unmounted tires for your rig, I strongly suggest taking them to a tire dealer and having them mounted and balanced. I am a "do it yourself" kind of guy, own tire irons and a good compressor... I personally would not go through the blood, sweat, and tears of dismounting old and remounting the new then the hassle of trying to get the bead to seat. With a tire that size you should definitely get them balanced anyway.
    Now I would still do my own wheel bearings but that is up to you. Jacking up there is no big deal. Just use the frame close to the spring mount, don't jack on the axle it self.

7. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Do a search on your tires. The time bombs are the ST tires found on most pups. There were some bad 15" LTs as well, but not all were bad. You also have a better wheel than most pups so I wouldn't change them unless you want a different style. If you have Dexter's EZ Lube axle you may be very happy to grease your bearings from the outside. Just make sure you go slow and rotate the hub.

8. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

These other folks are giving you standard advice, but I don't think they looked at what kind of pup or tires you have. It's easier if you take it to the shop to get the tires changed, as long as they will do the work without you unhitching. I would also make sure that they know to jack it up by the spring perches, NOT the axle tube.
    If you are going to do the bearings yourself, I am pretty sure you are going to have to take the wheels off anyway, so you might just take the wheels in and get the tires mounted and balanced when you do that.

9. thethird152

THanks for all the input gang.

If I take it to the tire shop to have them lift the camper, I'll just have them do the bearings as well.

I guess the root of the question really is "do you trust the tire shop to jack up your pup and change the tires"?

It sounds like there are mixed opinions, which is what I expected. I definitely will ensure the lifting is done at the spring perches, per my owner's manual, but I think I'm just going to let the tire shop guys do it.

THANKS!

10. 4campers+g-kids

4campers+g-kids Member

I would be scared to let any tire shop lift my pup. It is so easy to change a tire, something you should know how to do just in case it happens on the road. A simple jack from your car or truck works, some boards to block the opposite tire, and a wrench to remove the lug nuts. My advice is buy a 4 sided lug nut wrench. If you still have problems loosening the lug nuts a 2' piece of pipe that fits over the end of the wrench will give you leverage. A short piece of 2 X 4 between the jack and lift point.
    Not knowing what size tires you need it's hard to advise. If they are 12 or 13 I'd just buy new wheels and tires, mounted and ready to install from a place like etrailer or trailerpartssuperstore. Got my last two sets that way, saved a bunch of cash, and did my wheels and bearings in about 45 minutes.

11. edh

edh Active Member

Read your owner's manual re: jacking procedure; if you don't have one you can search for it under Manuals on this Forum.

For example, for my Palomino the manual says to lower the front hitch jack, extend the rear stabilizer jacks, then raise the hitch jack until the tires leave the ground. A bit unconventional in that it leaves the whole camper off the ground, so I do not follow those instructions personally, instead using a scissors jack on the sturdiest part of the frame I could find.

12. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

If you are talking about a "Mr.Tire"/quick lube place, I would not trust them because it is out of the ordinary car/truck setup.

If you had a trailer place (not a camper dealer) I would go there.

Otherwise, I would break out my tools. It would also give me the chance to inspect and adjust the brakes.

The E1 would have 15" truck sized tires, so the usual cheaper to but rim+tire does not apply.

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Jack up your trailer properly put it on jack stands, pull the wheels and drop them off at the tire dealer for a mount and balance. While they are working on that go home a repack your wheel bearings, replace the wheel seals, clean / lube / adjust your brakes.
    Go pick up your finished wheels. Reinstall and lower the trailer.
    Sleep well at night knowing it was done to your staisfaction