New tires new noise?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by SunCruiser, May 27, 2021.

1. SunCruiser

SunCruiser New Member

Hey everyone. I hope you are all getting off to a great start of the camping season!

I put new tires on my 94 Coleman Rio Grand earlier this month. I replaced the tire with a brand new version of the brand and size that was already on the PUP. I had it stored at my parents place which is a 3 hour drive from our house. So I put the tires on and then drove it home. I didn’t notice any noises when I left their city or on the highway. The ride felt smooth enough. When I got into my city I went over a medium sized bump with only one side of my car tires and one side of the trailer and heard a odd “bottoming out” sound from the side that went over the bump (I was in the city and had my windows down now).

I drove it to my summer storage area with no other issues and it’s been there for a few weeks. I just picked it up and brought it home and heard the same noise on both sides at different times. One was when the second trailer tire came off the sloped curb leaving a parking lot drive way and the other when I turned onto my street. If I’m hitting any bumps in the road straight on I am not hearing anything. It seems to only happen to one side at a time.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for for possible issues. We want to take it camping this weekend.....to a park just 50kms from us.

should I be worried?

Any suggestions or advice would be great, thanks!

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would look for a loose wheel or tire not mounted on rim correctly

3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Jack up each wheel off the ground (one at a time) and spin it with your eyes and fingers scanning the rubber running tread and sidewalls - look for bad alignment, bent rims, damaged tire (bulge or tear) etc etc. or unusual wear (not likely on new tires). And while you are down there -- also look at leaf spring clamps and shackle bolts etc.

noises can be tricky - I had a front end noise in the Jeep Liberty so I took it to my mechanic - he said it might be wheel bearings, so I changed them. Later, I determined 100% that it was noise due to odd wear patterns on both front tires - which had less wear than the rear tires of the same brand.

4. Anthony Hitchings

BTW - if you have leaf springs (I think that you do) have the leaf springs gone flat, if you have a torsion axle (with rubber interior elements) - have the rubber rods inside the square tube axle aged (its called creep) out and the trailer now rides lower than it should.

BTW - the arch (curve in the leaf spring) should be around 3" is my guess.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  5. SunCruiser

SunCruiser New Member

Thanks for the tips. I will do this tonight or tomorrow morning. I wonder if it is the leaf springs....the new wheel seems like a tight fit in the wheel well space...maybe it is that it’s running lower than it should.

If this is what it looks like....what are your thoughts on us taking it out of town as is on good hiway before I get it fixed. About 100kms round trip? I want to get it fixed up what ever it is but also want to get in a quick camp if I can!

6. SunCruiser

SunCruiser New Member

Just to be clear it is the exact wheel size the camper calls for as well as the same one that I pulled off of it...just new

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Look under the fender and see if you see rub marks from where the tire is hitting the underside when you go over bumps.

8. Anthony Hitchings

if the tire rubs - you can scrape off the tread real quick !

9. Anthony Hitchings

Which is why I suspect suspension collapse (sag)

10. SunCruiser

SunCruiser New Member

I can't see any rub marks anywhere. It seems like there is good clearance above the tire.

The only place I'm concerned about clearance is this back edge. Photo from each side attached. I wish I would have looked at the clearance on the old tires before I switched them for the new ones with all the tread.

The noise made me think one of my feet had fallen down and was hitting the pavement. That scrapping sound. When I first heard it I pulled over to make sure that wasn't what had happened but all the feet were still up and locked. Maybe it has nothing to do with the tires and was purely coincidence that it started happening after I changed them. It also has say in uncovered storage for the whole of Canadian Prairie Winter...maybe that is the culprit

Attached Files:

11. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time!

That's not much clearance, clarence. If there isn't any black rubber on those surfaces then you're probably within specs. brake pads too tight maybe?

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  12. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

If there's anyone in the area who build or repairs trailers I would ask them to look at it. Pics can be deceiving and I'm definitely not an expert. In your second pic the flange on the frame looks like it's bounced against the tire at least once. And I don't like the way the spring end is sticking out of the hanger in the first pic, seems like your springs may be flattening.

As far as a trip this weekend, 100 km isn't that far. Look at it again after you're loaded for the trip and make the decision. Make sure your spare is in good shape.

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Didn't read all the posts, but from what I read, have you checked the bearings?

14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

2nd picture- Looks like the bottom part of the C-channel has already been ground off shorter to make room for a larger tire. Can't tell on the 1st picture.

xxxapache likes this.
  15. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I'd not run this trailer with that little of clearance. Something is amiss.....

16. Jason0405

Jason0405 New Member

Is the tire the correct size based on what is listed on the information plaque and/or owners manual?

Are the tires properly inflated? I think I have the same size Carlilse Sport Trail tires on mine and I got them at Canadian Tire and they shipped with odd tire pressures. One was 48PSI and the other 60PSI.

Although... I don't think the noise from one side only is necessarily alarming from my experience with trailers. Straight axle + leaf springs + bump on one side only especially with a lightly loaded trailer can lead to some weird behaviour! That being said definitely check out everything everyone else said in this thread too.

17. rmihalcin

rmihalcin New Member