New tires

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Actually, on my recent job the hardest part was to get the galvanized metal "cap" on the hub to stay in - it came out partway thru the trip, I replaced it, and it happened again. Fast forward, so I replace the axle and swap over the hubs (which include brake drums) to the new EZlube-style axle (with camber this time). The EZlube style grease cap did not want to go into the hub :-(. So I got my 3 Lb single-jack hammer and a 4x4 piece of wood 8" long. Place the wood end-on centered on the recalcitrant metal cap, and strike the wood firmly on its exposed end. Done! Repeats on the other side.

Toni Arnold

Jun 4, 2019
Simi Valley, California
Today I am patting myself on the back. I put new tires on my camper and regreased the bearings all by myself. The hardest part was removing the cotter pins. Not bad for a 68 year old gal! Next job will be tackling the brakes if they need it.

Good for you,pat on the back for sure!
Do you mind telling me how you went about doing this? I'm a female (57) solo camper and want to repack the bearing on my single axel TT but I'm really intimidated by this. Everyone says its easy just time consuming but I'm not sure where to start,

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Well done!

I had a VERY hard time FINDING new cotter pins! I went to three automotive supply places, two "real" hardware stores and eventually found an assortment packet that had at least two that were the right size. The funny part was they weren't out of stock mostly, they just had nothing but tiny useless sizes.

Great work!

Franchesca

Nov 2, 2020
Massachusetts
Good for you,pat on the back for sure!
Do you mind telling me how you went about doing this? I'm a female (57) solo camper and want to repack the bearing on my single axel TT but I'm really intimidated by this. Everyone says its easy just time consuming but I'm not sure where to start,
I pulled up a video on youtube and did everything the guy was doing.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
A bearing packer does make it quicker and easier. It does a good job or pushing out the old dirty grease.

20201001_163907.jpg