New to all things camping...PUP to hybrid?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Barb Gross, May 29, 2020.

1. Barb Gross

Barb Gross New Member

I grew up in a city; hubby's family wasn't into camping. We are both around 50 years old and several years ago decided we wanted to get into camping. We love the outdoors, and we finally have some expendable income, which we are learning needs to be VERY expendable...lol. We did our first outing with our PUP, a 2013 Jayco Jay Series 1007, last weekend. We had a huge water leak, and upon returning home found the water heater had a huge open crack. It appeared at some point someone did not winterize the heater and it popped. Soooo...our first expense is a biggie...about 400 bucks! All in all, it was a good trip, and it poured for three of the four days, but no water came in. However, I have already started thinking of hybrids for three reasons: ease of setup, the ability to have a toilet and shower, and a bit more space. Problem: we have a Subaru Outback Onyx Edition, which tows 3500. This works great for our PUP, but means we have to find a pretty light hybrid. A truck is not in the cards; I drive for my job so the next car needs to be very fuel-efficient. I would very much appreciate any thoughts you all may have. I have done some research and looked at some very lightweight models such as the Starcraft AR-One 15RB. I have not seen much info in the hybrid section on the really lightweight hybrids, but I also didn't search too long and will probably keep looking. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

There will be two problems.
    Your Suburu has a frontal area limitation, which a full height trailer, like a hybrid, will exceed. A popup has minimal frontal area, a Hybrid doesn't.
    Second, the actual loaded tongue weight of a single axle hybrid, will probably exceed the 350lbs max hitch weight of your Suburu.

Barb Gross likes this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I went from a popup to a hard side last year and discovered that it's not only the weight of the trailer, it's the frontal area as bikendan mentioned. You are basically towing an 80 sq ft brick wall behind you. Unless a new tow vehicle is in the cards, I'd say stick with the popup for now.

neighbormike and Barb Gross like this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

A hybrid is so nice. A real toilet with a door and and refrigerator that hold more than a gallon of milk. World of difference.
    But should be too much for your tow vehicle.
    On another note. ...I don't like them, too narrow ......but you may find a r-pod that would just fit your needs.

Barb Gross likes this.
  5. Barb Gross

Barb Gross New Member

I'm thinking we will wait it out and enjoy our PUP. The port-a-pottie works fine and we'll use the outside shower if needed!

6. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

So another option to look into, although they aren’t cheap if cost is a factor, is a Scamp. They are great little rigs and people tow them with the Outback all the time. In fact, I have met people that full time in Scamp 16’s that pull them all over the country with Outbacks

7. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

Yep, Scamps have low tongue weights.

8. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

9. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I actually wanted to mention them too but I had a brain fart and couldn’t remember the name. But yes, Scamp, Casita, and there are a couple others. The little fiberglass eggs are very Subaru friendly.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Keep the pup. The devil you know maybe better then the one you dont! You can fix it to how you want it. Upgrade later. Most things that can pull heavy weight will not get good fuel economy. If your not taking showers in the pup, you might not even need the water heater. Or if you do full hook ups a small tankless one may work for you.

11. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

When you mentioned fulltiming and a Scamp I immediately thought of two or three couples we've met full timing in Casitas. I'm certain it's a geographical thing with me being in Texas. They are nicely built.