New to Black stone cooking any ideas??

Jerry L

Apr 26, 2021
Massachusetts
Just purchased a 22' Blackstone any suggestions on cooking with one? I was thinking of putting a longer slide mount on camper maybe so i can put a 4' tshelf attached to camper 2' deep. That way can have all that area for cooking and prep. any thoughts?

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
I'll refrain from commenting on the Blackstone, but I would recommend this Lifetime 4-foot folding table instead of a solid shelf. The table will be easier to pack/tote and is more versatile.
We have one we normally set up outside the door of the TT to hold the coffee pot and water cooler, but it's also handy as a catch-all, buffet table and I've even used it as a fish-cleaning table. Note the orange buttons on the legs which makes closing it up much easier.

Last edited:

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
Just purchased a 22' Blackstone any suggestions on cooking with one? I was thinking of putting a longer slide mount on camper maybe so i can put a 4' tshelf attached to camper 2' deep. That way can have all that area for cooking and prep. any thoughts?
The Blackstone looks great. I have a Camp Chef 14" 2-burner stove, and have added a 14x16 griddle, 14x16 BBQ box, and 14x16 pizza oven to it. Whether it's Camp Chef, Blackstone, or some other high-quality cooking system, you've got yourself a really nice upgrade over the 2-burner or 3-burner propane stove on a popup trailer. I mostly only use the built-in stove for heating water in the morning for hot chocolate and oatmeal now.

Here are some tips I've come up with for these higher-end cooking systems:

• Purchase and install an LPG Quick Connect adapter. It's a pain lugging around another propane cylinder just for the stove. With QC, you have the ability to just use the propane system that came with your trailer.
  • Purchase a Quick Connect to 20-LB tank adapter. Now that your stove accepts QC, you may still want to use it with a 20 pound cylinder. This will provide that flexibility.
  • Obtain a carrying bag for your cooking system. This will really help in transporting it, and also will prevent it from getting things packed around it dirty.
  • Cook with it at home, in your yard, for a week or two to get used to it, and to experiment.
  • Get a cover that can be put over it during rainy conditions. This is different from a carrying bag, though it would probably fit into the bag. When you're out camping, or using the cooking system in your back yard, it's helpful to be able to cover it when not in use.
I see people using Camp Chef and Blackstone cooking systems all the time when I go skiing; they set up in the parking lot and have a lunchtime feast. What a great idea. I don't see them as frequently among RV users, but they're missing out.

Jerry L

Apr 26, 2021
Massachusetts
I'll refrain from commenting on the Blackstone, but I would recommend this Lifetime 4-foot folding table instead of a solid shelf. The table will be easier to pack/tote and is more versatile.
We have one we normally set up outside the door of the TT to hold the coffee pot and water cooler, but it's also handy as a catch-all, buffet table and I've even used it as a fish-cleaning table. Note the orange buttons on the legs which makes closing it up much easier.

Thanks might just do that instead will keep wt. down also

Jerry L

Apr 26, 2021
Massachusetts
T
The Blackstone looks great. I have a Camp Chef 14" 2-burner stove, and have added a 14x16 griddle, 14x16 BBQ box, and 14x16 pizza oven to it. Whether it's Camp Chef, Blackstone, or some other high-quality cooking system, you've got yourself a really nice upgrade over the 2-burner or 3-burner propane stove on a popup trailer. I mostly only use the built-in stove for heating water in the morning for hot chocolate and oatmeal now.

Here are some tips I've come up with for these higher-end cooking systems:

• Purchase and install an LPG Quick Connect adapter. It's a pain lugging around another propane cylinder just for the stove. With QC, you have the ability to just use the propane system that came with your trailer.
  • Purchase a Quick Connect to 20-LB tank adapter. Now that your stove accepts QC, you may still want to use it with a 20 pound cylinder. This will provide that flexibility.
  • Obtain a carrying bag for your cooking system. This will really help in transporting it, and also will prevent it from getting things packed around it dirty.
  • Cook with it at home, in your yard, for a week or two to get used to it, and to experiment.
  • Get a cover that can be put over it during rainy conditions. This is different from a carrying bag, though it would probably fit into the bag. When you're out camping, or using the cooking system in your back yard, it's helpful to be able to cover it when not in use.
I see people using Camp Chef and Blackstone cooking systems all the time when I go skiing; they set up in the parking lot and have a lunchtime feast. What a great idea. I don't see them as frequently among RV users, but they're missing out.
hanks I did get quick connect adapter to hook up to camper Propane as well as quick connect adapter and 12' hose to hook up to 20lb propane

vagov

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a lifetime table, but half is metal grid for the grill. Unfortunately its out of stock everywhere. 4 foot is plenty of room for the grill and a stovetop if needed.
I have the same table. Thanks to you!! Use it all the time. Still much appreciated!

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I love cooking on a big griddle, either BS or Camp Chef. Quick connect and a hose are great to run off the camper. I too highly recommend the 4’ Lifetime table. The HD one has a better mechanism for adjusting the height of the legs as well - the ones I have seen elsewhere used individual buttons on each leg.

I also use the GCI Master Cook Station. I bought this after I backed over my old folding camp kitchen when someone propped it against the truck after a campout and I didn’t see it. I have been very happy with it, although it is a little heavy since it has a metal frame instead of aluminum.

GCI Cook Station

These things work great for breakfast sandwiches (egg mcmuffins), stir fry, fajitas, pancakes, has brown breakfast scramble, gyros, and so much more. Having one has elevated my camp cooking significantly, especially for group cooking.

I have a 17”, 22” and recently picked up a 14” Camp Chef and got the single burner griddle for it. Will go well with the BBQ box I already have.

nfisherman

Apr 23, 2005
Illinois
I got the 22” Blackstone and hose adapter for Christmas. I also have the 36” griddle. I took the big one camping once and decided it wasn’t worth the bother. The smaller one should be great. I’ve used the 22” griddle in my back yard a lot so far. I bought the 4 ft. Lifetime table for camping. This week will be our first camping trip of the year and we’ll be trying it out.

Takamine

Aug 13, 2008
Goshen, Indiana
I set my Blackstone on the picnic table and connect it to a 20# LP tank with an adapter hose. We used to cook most of our meals over the fire, but now just cook them on the Blackstone.

teejaywhy

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2011

That's a helluva big grill!! [:D]

Steveo4090

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2020
Lancaster PA
I got the 22" blackstone 2 years ago as a package with the hood and adjustable stand with a side table. The stand is nice because it can be leveled with the 4 adjustable legs. It's more pleasant to use when the grease actually goes into the back grease trap.

I'd highly recommend getting the disposable aluminum inserts for the grease cup. They make cleaning up so much easier. Just get generic ones from Amazon, not the "blackstone" branded ones...way too expensive.

rdyck

Dec 3, 2017
Victoria, B.C.
Use our 22" all the time, camping and at home.
I got the Blackstone stand and it works well.
Our camp kitchen setup.

BS kitchen.jpg

You can get the grease cup liners at Dollar stores, they call them mini loaf pans.
You can also line those pans with paper towel and re used them.
From Dollar Tree you can get Chopper/Scrapers.

20210605_075328.jpg

They work great as scrapers, but you can also hang them on the edges to block the wind. Get six for the 22"

20210523_183548.jpg

I find a digital kitchen timer is a great help, keeps my timing right when I get distracted.
good set of tongs
a spatula that suites you, some like the large ones, I find them to be over kill on the smaller griddles and prefer one with a thin flexible blade.
paper towels, basting brush, etc.

basic kit.jpg

Karey

Apr 3, 2021
Colorado
I learn so much from this forum. Now to decide on the HD 4'table or the GCI cookstation. Our current table is too low.

When we're out longer than a weekend I take our campchef and 14" pizza oven. That oven can do way more than pizza, which I've done when camping. But heating up burritos, hot dogs ... Make dutch baby in skillet for breakfast. Have made cookies, brownies, pineapple upside downcake ... When not camping the Camp chef is on our back deck.