New to me 2007 Rockwood 2514G

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by Dback2k4, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

After my saga with my 1999 Coleman Bayside getting totaled in a storage lot incident with a snowplow (http://popupportal.com/threads/popup-vs-snowplow-advice-needed.122587) I made a deal this afternoon on a 2007 Rockwood 2514G pop up. I'll have some mods to do in it this summer, but am looking forward to an early start to camping season this year and not losing half the season to doing a custom repair on the Coleman.

2007_forest_river_rockwood_2514g_grm1609629_1.jpg

2007_forest_river_rockwood_2514g_grm1609629_2.jpg

2007_forest_river_rockwood_2514g_grm1609629_16.jpg

2007_forest_river_rockwood_2514g_grm1609629_3.jpg 2007_forest_river_rockwood_2514g_grm1609629_4.jpg 2007_forest_river_rockwood_2514g_grm1609629_8.jpg 2007_forest_river_rockwood_2514g_grm1609629_9.jpg 2007_forest_river_rockwood_2514g_grm1609629_14.jpg

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from N/W Fl panhandle, congrats on the NTU PUP. Now just take the time to get to know the unit and also ideas to "make it your own" you might also get some ideas from www.thepopupprincess.com she has some really great ideas. Good Luck and Happy Camping

3. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Looks great! So much floor space to move around! Will be great for those times you get stuck inside due to weather. Enjoy!

4. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

nice! congrats!

5. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Went and picked her up today. Overall I'm impressed with the unit. For coming from Michigan it has very little rust under it. Previous owner's had a couple DIY fixes that I don't like... the slide uses a simple nut on the bolt to lock in place for transit rather than a locking wingnut. There's a small hole in one of the bunk ceilings that was duct taped instead of properly patched and one section by the galley where its come loose from the frame and needs re-secured. For 12 year old canvas it's in remarkably good shape. The kill switch on the swing-down galley is bypassed and wire-nutted together which is a safety concern. The power line outside that feeds the A/C was replaced with a non-waterproof connector end, which is a major safety concern.

Definitely needs some customizing. The tongue layout has the battery side by side with the LP tank, not even close to suited for dual LP or batteries, but there's room there to rework it for that. The crank-down jack doesn't have a wheel on it which I'll need to install for maneuvering around. Interior lights are still incandescent which need LED replacements. I'll definitely want to add a roof rack for my kayak.

I will tell you I'm less than impressed with the buying experience from Camping World. Given the choice I won't buy there again, but I was in a bit of a time crunch with my Coleman getting totaled and having an upcoming trip planned for mid-April, and this being one of the few models I wanted and a limited nationwide selection.

The salesman was a kid of about 22 that only knew the 8 bullet points to selling people "just looking" on buying an TT that day. I cut him some slack as I knew exactly what I was coming for and looking for and he let me do my inspection and answered my questions best he could, which given how many pop ups he's probably seen in his life was a struggle for him. After I'd looked it over and crawled under it and was content there was nothing there that was going to be a deal breaker, it was back to the kid's cubicle for a half hour wait to meet with the "finance manager" who processed the paperwork and took my check. I'm still not entirely convinced they were correct in charging me sales tax and title fees in Michigan when I'm an Iowa resident. The sales manager when pressed finally admitted he didn't know how it all worked, but tried to assure me that when I'd asked about it last week that they'd ran it by somebody who assured them it would be done correctly. All I know is if a Michigan title shows up in the mail or I get hassle from the Iowa DMV I'm going to be pissed!! [:(!]

I lost all negotiating power by coming from out of state and they knew it. I think I wound up paying about $600 more than I should've. I was forced to negotiate the deal by phone ahead of time before they'd prep it for pickup. If I wanted to negotiate when I got there to see it I'd have to wait a few days then before I could actually take it home. I called BS and they rattled off company policy and told me it was their way or the highway. After I'd negotiated the price down they came back with their $750 prep fee which amounted to nothing more than somebody testing the appliances I believe. This was tossed in after we'd settled on the sales price, just another gimmick that I couldn't get around. It essentially brought the negotiated sales price back up to list. In addition it cost me $8 to go get a cashiers check from the bank, they wouldn't do ACH, debit, or a personal check on the amount which was irritating. I get the risk of an out of state buyer with a personal check, but I know there's other options if they'd want to, they just don't.

Today when I got there and asked if they had repacked the bearings, they said they didn't do that as part of their safety inspection or prep and if I wanted that done it was another $450. They also couldn't tell me the age of the LP/CO detector and I didn't take the time to unscrew it to check the expiration date as they were pretty clear they weren't going to replace it anyway. It's a $75 part which I'll just do myself, but leads me back to what was that $750 prep fee really for other than a scam!? No other discounts or gift cards for the few safety issues I'm going to have to address. Fortunately they're all small and I can easily do them, but I feel like I paid a premium price for a used unit that wasn't even close to re-conditioned. I did get them to throw in a new battery, it wasn't going to come with one unless I paid them $118 for it, but they had to install one to show me the electrical system worked correctly and I convinced the saleskid to leave it on there as we popped down to hook up to go home (needed it for the brakes going home you know - safety!). I have a pair of nicer, well-maintained, matching ones on my Coleman that are only 18 months old that I plan on installing on this rig, but I figure my boat could use a new deep cycle anyway [8D]

To top it off when they hitched it up for me (something about shop liability, I couldn't do it myself) they didn't put a cotter pin in the coupler. When I asked they said they don't give them out with units they sell anymore so they didn't even carry them. As soon as I opened my mouth to give him an earful about liability he went and found an eye bolt to get me out of there.

Anyway, a lot of complaining in a single post but overall I'm happy with the purchase and looking forward to the warmer weather and getting to use it! [BBQ]

upload_2019-3-9_23-32-51.png

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Glad things worked out for you. You now have a lot nicer pup

Dback2k4 likes this.
  7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Looks like you got a nice camper. Me personally, I would have gotten up and walked the second they pulled the prep fee crap regardless of how far I had driven. Chances are they call you back when you are about to go through the door. At this point I drop my price for aggravation. Don't make my deal, I'll deal somewhere else. I walked away from a Harley over less than $200 and found a nicer bike for less a week later. DW will negotiate forever, but I know what I want to pay (done my research) from the start. I don't negotiate and I'm up front with it, I give them my price (buying or selling) and it's take it or leave it. If you annoy me with crap the price moves in my favor.

OldNavy and Dback2k4 like this.
  8. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Enjoy your new camper. We have thoroughly enjoyed our 2514G too! Had many great memories in it. When we saw it we knew it was the one. Yes, bring on the warmer weather!! We are ready for camping.

Dback2k4 likes this.
  9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Great looking pup! Hope it serves you well for many years! Totally agree - that $750 sounds like BS but at least you ended up with the camper you wanted!

Dback2k4 likes this.
  10. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

As expected the paperwork is a nightmare. A week ago they FedEx'd me the original Michigan title because the finance manager forgot to have me sign it, which I did and FedEx'd it back. Friday I got the completed packet of paperwork by FedEx. A nice letter telling me I had to go down to the DMV and do title and registration work myself as they couldn't in Iowa. Gee, I kinda remember telling somebody that and they assured me that they took care of it all. None of the sales documents indicated my living trust name as I'd requested, it's all in my name personally.

Took a half hour call with CW's person who deals with all the DMV and Tax stuff (Debbie) to explain what fees and been paid and what hadn't. She was extremely rude and kept trying to talk down to me like a whining toddler who wasn't going to get an ice cream cone. I explained several times that I just needed to understand what was paid and what wasn't and where that was indicated in the dozen sheets of paper sent to me so I could explain it to my DMV who wasn't going to understand Michigan paperwork. They made me pay a $10 temporary transit tag, which was included in the packet. I b*tched up a storm about paying for a temp tag they didn't issue me until well after I was home and how their finance manager had told me to pull it home without tags and if I got stopped "just show the cop the bill of sale." They've offered to refund me my $10, ha ha. Also in Debbie's packet of paperwork was a lienholder document that I was supposed to send back to her. It took more times than I care to admit for it to sink in that I don't have a lien on mine, it was a cash deal, and for her to confirm that, yes, I don't need to send that document back to her.

So off to the DMV I went with the original signed title (why I had to send it back to them I still don't know), a photocopy of the previous owner's lien release document, and the bill of sale which shows I paid Iowa's sales tax in Michigan. Fortunately the lady on duty at the DMV is someone I've worked with before and is actually helpful and pleasant to work with, and she informs me that since the previous owner's credit union didn't sign the title itself to release the lien, the photocopy lien release document isn't acceptable and they must have an original. Surprise, surprise. Fortunately they'll be able to issue title and tags in the trust name without the sales bill indicating the trust. Bullet dodged there.

So I call Debbie at CW back and left her a voicemail. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt that she left early on Friday and was off Saturday and she's not ducking my calls. Monday will tell....

11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Long story short, did you get Debbie's number?? [LOL]

kcsa75 and Dback2k4 like this.
  12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Wow! A transaction like this shouldn't be this much hassle. We bought our travel trailer from Camping World in a different state and I was very pleased with the transaction from start to finish. Hope you get everything worked out sooner rather than later.

On a more positive note, that looks like a nice Pup. It's amazing how the dinette slide opens up the interior.

13. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I finally got a hold of Debbie again today. The whole title snafu is only partially their part, the previous owner didn't turn in the original lien release and the lienholder credit union should've actually done the release on title. But on the flip side of the coin, as many deals as CW does they should know this ahead of time and not make me jump through hoops. Apparently they've reached out to that credit union to get a new release sent to me, so the waiting game continues....

I specifically chose my old coleman and this new one because of the sliding dinette. Both my last and current dog are infamous for always laying in the middle of a floor right in the way so the added space is a must!

We're supposed to hit 70 degrees here this weekend so hoping to get my gear transferred from the old to new this weekend. Work's been keeping me pretty busy so haven't had time to start any of the mods.

14. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I know how you feel dealing with CW. Glad you're getting it worked out and ready for camping.

15. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Got the final paperwork in the mail about 2 weeks ago and finally had an afternoon off work Thursday to get it titled and registered. At least one saga has drawn to a close!!

neighbormike likes this.
  16. Scoutgoldcolorado

Scoutgoldcolorado New Member

That prep fee bs really grinds all my gears. $750 to prep some papers, what papers!? Show me the damn papers! It’s a sellout gimmick and its really bs, but going to a dealer it is expected. I never take anything to the stealership, they can kick rocks. Nice looking camper man. Happy camping!

17. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

My dealer stuck me with the prep and filing fee as well, total of $750. But the good news is that we both have great campers. I still think I got a good deal and hope you feel the same. I am envious of you side dinette, but I don't have enough TV for that extra weight. Have a great camping season.

18. Mike Up

Mike Up New Member

Wow, I'd think I'd report them to the attorney general and the BBB, no excuse for crookedness and lieing. To bad, this is a common theme I see played out from time to time on forums, when people have bought from CW. Think they would had changed their ways by now, but seemingly worst.