New to me 96 Coleman Niagra. What needs to be done to get ready?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by dbhost, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Amazon on the leds, they have bright white and yellowish ones. Made a huge diffrence for lighting.

2. Econ

Econ Active Member

After 12 years (i'm 95% certain) the propane tanks have to be recertified and then thereafter every 5 years. We had 4 out of date propane tanks so no going to the welding store to get them refilled. Find a grocery store with pretty tanks and exchange one. Tip the clerk and go thru the whole lot. The date of manufacturer is on the "stand" or guard protecting the connector. Out of 4 I have scored two 2015's , a 2014 and a 2009. The 2009 is on the first use list to be traded in again. The young ones go to the welding shop. The recert date is written on tape placed on the tank.

I was so mad.I watched/help some barbequer exchange a tank at Home Depot where you dont get a choice and the guy got a 2019.

3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I have a current tank that I have been using for tent camping, the tank is dated back in 99. Got it on exchange in '05. I switched to liquid fuel shortly afterwards as this was the 2nd tank I used in a year, and that was stove only... Walmart had the Ozark Trail Camp fuel at the time on cheap sale, I stocked up and bought my 424 dual fuel. The only propane device I had left to use was the Zodi shower... I mean I still had the stoves, lantern, and buddy heater, but hadn't invested in a distribution tree. I found that over the years, although pumping and priming is a bit of a problem, I prefer rather dramatically to use liquid fuels. Plan on continuing even with the PU and I prefer to cook outside.

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I have no advice to add, but congratulations!!

Dback2k4 and dbhost like this.
  5. Econ

Econ Active Member

We use propane for boondocking heating, boondocking refrigerator use, travelling refrig use, coffee water, bathing water. We use a 30 year old coleman 425 (?) to cook on.

You may wish to explore the cost per unit of propane for the 1 pound propane tanks vs refilling the 20 pound. The point being made is a big box store will take anything in on exchange.

Spent every morning this week seasoning 11 pieces of cast iron.

dbhost likes this.
  6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Refilling bulk Tanks actually cost less then Coleman fuel but again I guess old habits die hard and they don't much care for tethering to a tank with things like lanterns. I will continue to use my Coleman stove and lanterns... probably the catalytic heater too...

Econ likes this.
  7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Thank you the paperwork is done in filed. The tow vehicle is still in progress but making reasonable headway considering my budget constraints. All in all I feel very blessed

Orchid likes this.