New to Pop Ups--Concerned about Snoring

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by jebplains, May 10, 2010.

1. jebplains

jebplains New Member

Hi,

I'm about to take delivery of a beautiful new Viking pop up. I am looking forward to my first trip--except for one thing: I'm worried that my loud snoring is going to bother other people and make them angry.

Can any more experienced members tell me how loud snoring is from outside a pop up? Can it keep other people in the campground awake? I'm afraid that I'm going to have someone banging on my door at 3 am complaining.

I know this sounds foolish, but it really does concern me.

Thanks for any advice. This is a great forum, and the friendliness/helpfulness of the people here was one of the factors that led me to choose a pop up.

2. aimblkjak21

aimblkjak21 New Member

I don't have any advice but I think that it is nice that you are worried about disturbing others at the campground. There are a lot of people who could care less if they bother anyone else at a campground. I guess it really depends on the campground. If your site is wooded and blocking other campers then I think that would help damper the noise.

3. Gumbias

Gumbias New Member

My snoring don't bother me. [:D] [LOL] Seriously most of the time people have a fan running in there pup which will cover most noise that is not excessively loud. It will also depend on how loud you snore. [:D] [SNZ]

4. turtle

turtle New Member

My DW keeps me awake most nights with her snoring except when camping. For some reason she doesn't snore at all when camping. I really don't think you would be close enough to another camper to worry about this but you may find that you snore less or not at all.
    Thanks for being concerned about others..

5. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

I can't think of anytime I've been bothered by snoring while camping. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine.

On a side note, I stayed awake all night one time and found I didn't snore once [LOL]

6. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Don't forget the A/C cover!

Well, I can tell you my wife snores... and I stay up much later than her and been outside the camper while she sleeps (snores) and didn't really notice. Unless it is VERY quiet and no is running air conditioning, fans, etc., you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

7. Hardee5

Hardee5 New Member

Your snoring is not going to be any worse in a PUP than in a tent. If no one was "knocking" on your tent in the middle of the night, I don't think you'll have any problems snoring in your PUP.
    Side note: A friend of mine was a real bad snorer (everyone wore earplugs to bed when camping with him). He tried Breathe right nasal strips and that seemed to help quite a bit. (He has since been diagnosed with sleep apnea (after we told him to get tested after the last 2 camping trips.)

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

If the sites are wooded and far enough apart you should not bother anyone.

However, if your snoring is as loud as you portray you might have a medical problem and may want to look into getting some help. DW snored very loudly and was worried about this same thing. She went to the doc, did one of those all-night sleep studies (where you sleep in their lab connected to instruments) and found out she had severe apnea. They put her on a CPAP machine and now she not only doesn't snore but wakes up feeling better than she has in twenty years.

9. snoopytrooper

snoopytrooper New Member

I have yet herd myself snoring . Everyone says I do but every time I get up I don't here it so you should have no prob [:D]

10. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Interesting timing on this topic- Mrs.Kid is at the sleep study center tonight being tested [SNZ]. They wouldn't take my word for it.

Breathe right strips do help, also sleeping sitting up/reclined helps too. Another thing that helped was when she had her tonsils removed- the snoring stopped for a while but came back.

I'd say if the sites aren't right on top of each other with nothing in between, you'll be fine. I can't recall hearing anyone snore at a CG yet.

(Sidenote: I do recall waking myself up once with my snoring!)

11. mdbaird76

mdbaird76 New Member

I agree with Snoopytrooper. I have never heard myself snore, so it must be a myth. Just like a jackalope or Bigfoot.

12. ptr41c

ptr41c New Member

Most campers will be asleep with their doors closed and will not heard you. plus if the a/c is on, no one will be able to hear you over the a/c [SNZ] sleep well

13. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I also suggest that you talk to your doctor about a sleep study, if you are snoring the way you describe then you most likely do have apenia and a CPAP will not only stop the snoring but will increase your life span.

I doubt that you would be heard by other campers unless they were close outside your popup, but maybe you could scare the racoons away. tee hee

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

In over 2 decades of mostly ground tenting, there have been very few times that I've heard snoring from another site, though when a friend & I take a ladies' trip, we can each hear the other from our own tents. Even the only time we could really hear snoring from another site, it wasn't really annoying to the point of keeping me (at least) awake, but was a bit scary, it sounded like a person with really bad sleep apnea, so much so we couldn't imagine being out camping without CPAP or whatever.

15. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    I snore like a chainsaw. The only time I have actually kept anyne awake was at a rally a few years ago (sorry Steve [:I])

In that case, I was parked very close to another popup. Yes, the canvas will do nothing to block your snoring. Normally, the neighbors are either far enough away not to notice it, or they are in hardwall campers and can't hear you.

16. jebplains

jebplains New Member

The people on this forum are the best. Truly, you are all so friendly and helpful (not to mention funny and somewhat insane). I appreciate your replies and feel better. I imagine a sleep study and a cpap machine are in my future....

17. fire4effect97

fire4effect97 Russ & Shawna, DD1, DD2, DD3

I'm a snorer too. But with the A/C running I don't think anyone in my camper can hear me so you should be fine. Just blame it on someone else [LOL]. That works for me. [:D]

18. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I was concerned about my snoring as well! Now that I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea I now have my CPAP machine and now it's nice and quiet!!! (at least that's what my wife tells me)

19. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

Only one campground we've visited were we packed in like sardones - maybe 6 feet between PUPs (this campground has a special area for PUPs). Our neighbor snored to beat the band so we turned on the fan portion of our AC for white noise and were able to sleep. Don't know what they might have heard from us, but hopefully our fan noise masked any noises we might have made.

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Just another suggestion for those concerned about their snoring - sinus issues can also cause loud snoring. I am told I snore much less and more quietly after my sinus surgery 3 years ago, I had multiple problems. I do still snore a bit, more if allergies or irritants (smoke of any sort is a really big one for me) are in the air.