New to PUP and have electrical issues

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Jason46902, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Jason46902

Jason46902 New Member

We just purchased our first NTU PUP. We were told by the PO all lights and outlets worked. However once we got it home, I started up my generator and plugged the 30amp plug in. Only 2 of 4 outlets work. None of our ceiling lights work. The CO detector is not powering on either. All fuses are good on the converter. Also, PO took out the battery so no DC power until I put a new battery on and wire it up. Any and all help is much appreciated. I can post pics of the wiring of the converter in the morning.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

What make/model/year camper?

3. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

A make/model would help

https://colemanpopupparts.com/pages/model_specs

Will have the wiring diagrams if it’s a Coleman. I’d put the battery on and see what works. Change out the fuses anyway. Not knowing what converter you have it’s hard to say, but it’ll probably also have 120v breakers maybe why some but not all plugs work. And if it’s old it may not be able to switch between 12v battery and 12v converter automatically in that case there’d be a switch mine is a 3 way switch covert/off/batt

4. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

20190410_123547-1008x756.jpg This is mine you'll see the 12v and 120v breakers and the 3 position switch

5. Jason46902

Jason46902 New Member

It's a 2002 aero Voyager 1205. The converter is a Centrion 3000

6. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

Jason46902 likes this.
  7. Jason46902

Jason46902 New Member

8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Welcome to the Portal. I also have a Centurion 3000 in my 2002 Rockwood. Mine is a 3000, but there is a sticker on the top that designates it as a model CS2000. I believe that they are the same except for the amount of amps they put out. A CS2000 is rated at 20 amps, and a CS3000 is rated for 30 amps. OK, moving onwards. Go find yourself a 30A to 15A adapter so you can plug it into your garage, or whatever and don't have to keep starting your generator. The converter does not have a 3 way switch as some other ones do. It is auto switching and will flip over to whatever energy source is available to it. When plugged in to the garage/house (shore power), the trailer will be fully functional, without the need for a battery. There are 2 sides internally in the converter. A 120v side and a 12v side. So you plug into 120v at home, (or campsite), and all the outlets work. The 12v side converts the 120v down to 12v DC for most other things to operate. Interior lights, exterior porch light, furnace fan, water pump, ceiling fan, CO detector .... all work on the 12v side. There is a switch (called galley switch) usually located on the flip over sink area (or swing down sink), that shuts a few things off for when popping down. It shuts the ceiling lights off so they can't be left on by mistake and burn holes in your bedding while driving down the road. Make sure that galley switch is operating properly, they cause a lot of headaches. A lot of times, one of the 120v outlets will be a GFCI outlet, and it powers the rest of them. Check to see that it is all working properly. Test the GFCI and reset it, then check your outlets again. If not pull the outlets and see what kind of shape the wiring is in, looking for loose connections. Remember not to operate your A/C while plugged into the house using the 30 to 15 amp adapter that you buy. The A/C will draw too much and either start to melt a few things, or start popping your breaker in the house.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  9. Jason46902

Jason46902 New Member

Thanks, I went and bought one of the 30-15 adapters to plug into house. Everything is working, with the exception of the porch light. New bulb and checked with multi-meter it reads the same as the other lights (that are working) and still not working. Thought maybe the switch was bad. But every time I flip the switch in it reads voltage. So basically I'm in a lot better shape then I was thanks to your advice. Now just to figure the porch light out. Thanks again

10. Wrenchgear

Possibly a bad ground at the porch light fixture. Where were you getting your ground from on the multi meter? If you were scraping for a ground on the Pup body, it bypasses the ground at the socket. If you have power at the switch, it should be an easy fix. Glad to see you're getting this all fixed up. (Also, make sure the bulb is good. Just because it's new, doesn't mean its any good. Swap the bulb into a fixture that you know had a working bulb.)

11. Jason46902

Jason46902 New Member

I took the bulb out and put the meter leads in the socket. Everytime I turn switch on I would get a reading

12. Wrenchgear

If its a known good bulb, and you verified that by putting it in a different light fixture and saw it come on, there must be a problem in the socket. Possibly when you push the bulb in and it depresses the spring in the base of the socket, it screws up on a wire connection in there.