New to pup's and a few questions

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by bdhenry, Jun 30, 2015.

1. bdhenry

bdhenry New Member

I purchased a used 2011 viking legend 2485sst last saturday. This is our first pup and i have a few questions for all of you. #1 i paid $6900 for it. did i get ripped off, nada is $12400? #2 i have a couple of black stains on the canvas (not vinyl), i tried some rv cleaner but it didnt work, any suggestions? #3 i have read quite a few posts about the positives of a BAL leveler, do you recommend? and finally #4 do any of you own a viking pup and have any suggestions or advise about concerns i should be aware of regarding this pup?

thanks and i look forward to sharing our experiences with you.

2. seanself117

seanself117 New Member

I've been thinking bout the BAL levels also so I'll follow this post.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. jk70

jk70 Member

Can't really respond to the others but I will highly recommend the BAL Leveler. Works exactly how it should. Just make sure you keep it greased and clean.

4. Shaumarie

Shaumarie New Member

I can't help you with anything but the BAL leveler. Get it. It's a great piece of equipment. Our last trip to mountains we camped off road and the BAL had to jack up the door side of the PUP about 5"-6" to level it. It worked wonderfully! And incredibly stable.

5. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

I can not speak about the BAL leveler but hear they are $$$ and work very well. I will say, I use they Anderson Trailer Leveler which I find to work fantastic, wife watches the level while I pull on and as soon as she indicates it is level side to side I hit the brakes and she chocks the wheel. Literally takes us seconds to do and no messy grease or expense.

You can have a look at it here http://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chocks/Andersen/AM3604.html

6. capy235co

capy235co Member

I like my BAL leveler. I did add a square of plywood just large than its footprint for when the ground is soft.

7. JeffC

JeffC New Member

The BAL is worth every cent. The black stuff is probably mold or mildew. The pup manufacturers usually recommend cleaning agents, but I've heard really good things about the Bass Pro Shop's mildew cleaner for boats. I think ours recommends vacuuming with a brush, then suggestions if that doesn't work. Good luck and congrats!

Jeff

8. JMSubRN

JMSubRN New Member

Well, isn't that an interesting piece of equipment!! Looks really easy. We are looking for some kind of leveling device too. Might have to check those out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. 98Roamer

98Roamer Member

I'm choosing the BAL because we can level our PUP without being attached to the TV. We have pushed our PUP into position, it may be boondocking by the Lake or facing our families camper at a campground but we need to be able to level without being attached to the TV.

The price of the Andersen Camper Level is sure attractive, but does it keep the camper from "rocking" like the BAL?

10. Strikeouthhh

Strikeouthhh Member

for the black stains, also check and see if that's where it's rubbing on the slideout rails - might be grease and not mildew/mold

11. travisma

travisma New Member

I purchased a BAL off of Craigslist. Works great.

Same as others say, you can use that after moving the PUP into position by hand or with the TV.

I'm not good at backing and some of the places we've put the PUP are 90 degrees from the back in spot. I have the stepped blocks also, but you have to be able to back on, or get a good running start while pushing it by hand!

12. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Just leave the stains. I tried getting ours off. With out an abundance of work they weren't coming off.

Love my bal. people look at me like I'm nuts until they see me using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. CheeksUp

CheeksUp New Member

Highly recommend the BAL . . . gets it right the first time. No pulling forward and backing up to level.

14. skysummit

skysummit Member

Add me to the BAL supporters...highly recommend it! I used it as a wheel chock even when my camper is level. Very good investment.

15. kstephens

kstephens Member

Again - I can say that the bal leveler is worth it. I love mine - it makes leveling simple. I also got the bal chock for the opposite side, and it has made everything much more sturdy feeling.

I have a few black stains on mine from the canvas rubbing the rails when closing/opening. I clean the rails several times a year now when open (just wipe off with a towel and re-apply some silicone spray) and it has seemed to work from preventing further stains.

16. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Second the BAL chock! That makes a huge difference!

17. seanself117

seanself117 New Member

Thx going to order one know

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

18. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

My advice to everyone that asks this question... you bought it, it's yours, don't induce buyer's remorse, forget all that and don't look back. Happy camping with your new trailer!

19. bdhenry

bdhenry New Member

thank for all the advise guys, i really appreciate it. I took the plunge and bought the BAL leveler. It has not arrived yet but its on the way. I have talked to a few people and seen recently people who level their trailers with the stabilization jacks. I have advised them of what i have read on here and not to do such but again im new to this trailer camping. Just so i have more information what is the problem with leveling with these jacks?

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Most, if not all newer (as in the last 20 or 25 years) pups, are not designed to be leveled with the stabilizer jacks. Some of the big rigs have Leveling jacks, which are a different critter.
    The frame can be bent by using the stabilizing jacks, it is not designed to support weight just on the jacks. If you think of how much weight each of those jacks would carry if the pup was suspended by those only, it is clearer as to why not to level with them.
    With the 2010 Coleman we had, there was a specific order to raising the roof and lowering/tightening up the stabs. The roof was raised first, then the stabs were tightened. That was to allow the frame to sort of settle before the stabs secured it all - and we could hear it do that at times.
    For both the Coleman and our new TT, the stabs are supposed to be snug, but not so tight they begin to lift the camper.