NEW to the GROUP, Landon

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by landon6062, Jun 15, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI everyone... LANCE and DONNA.. (this is Donna : ) )

We are in South Carolina..

NEW to the group and "NEW" to the camping world...

Thank you for all the great reads so far!! Looking so forward to learning from your experience..

First time campers and I am both "excited and nervous" about the whole process.

I have been trying to convince my hubby for YEARS that we would love camping..

SO we now own a 2006 Fleetwood Niagra. HW. POP UP. to try out the life-style..

DID I SAY NEW TO CAMPING YET?.. I mean we are completely IGNORANT of these things.. have never CAMPED in any form.. LOL getting started in our 50's..

**Yeah this should be fun..and I do want it to be a fun experience for my hubby..

Our camper was delivered last night.. and I was outside at DAYLIGHT ready to POP it up..

WELL BUMMER, not a good start for me.. even though it is on the DRIVEWAY.. it is UNLEVEL.. SO "anxiety kicked in" right from the start, and now I am not sure I can even crank it up? to even get a look inside.. ..

I have been hearing a lot about the "BALL level.. 28014"

BUT one of things I did notice was everyone was talking about it, but most of these popups are Light weight... Our popup weighs over 3000lbs..

IS that a problem?

THANK YOU for any helps you have to offer..: )

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Rik Peery likes this.
  2. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

3. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Oh just to let you know.. according to our instruction manual. (we received no demonstration on the camper, and I don't know if it is this way with all popups). The manual says it must be level before I crank up the top?

I do want to walk around in it, and do some inside work on it..

Thanks again : )

4. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Think maybe the "level" prob might refer to the use of the fridge? Used to crank our Palomino up on gravel etc, & no probs...are there holes etc, or is the driveway slanted...just make sure the wheels are chocked good, thinking as long as the frame etc is straight you should be OK, just don't use the stabilizers as a leveling tool...what vehicle will you tow w/...no doubt you'll get good advice on here from others...do not panic :)

5. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Thank you RIK for your reply..

Yes, it does say the leveling is mostly for the Fridge.. which I don't need to use right now. I would just like to get inside and take a good look at it and do some work 'decorating" .. lol

I will try and get a picture...it is quite a bit unlevel?

We are towing it with a 2007 Saturn outlook.. which is suppose to be able to tow 4500 lbs at least..I hope that info. was right.. yikes.. (we did put a rebuild transmission in it, 2 years ago)

yes, did get that out of the VIDEO I watched.. Don't use the stabilizers as a leveling tool..

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Hello and Welcome. Please take the time to level the pup before you raise the roof. And depending on what Model it is dont put the stabilizers down until the roof is up. These little campers are finicky so raising the roof when not level can put stress on parts that dont like it and could brake a cable or post. Ya it dont have to be spot on level but the closer the better.

If you goto your profile page and in your "signature" add you info like I have on the bottom left of my post. This will help others help when you have questions about your pup.

landon6062 likes this.
  7. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI JNC, thank you,

As you suggested....I did try to update my profile, but I am not seeing that update in my post..

Perhaps I did something wrong?

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Just did mine & it worked, clicked on "HOME", then my avatar, went to personal details under the settings in the left column, then I clicked on "signature" in the left column, a box appeared in the center, filled it in & clicked "save changes"...usually have to get the wife to do the computer stuff, worked the 2nd time for me finally

landon6062 and jnc like this.
  9. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I THINK I finally got it..

I sure hope that I didn't post as many times as I edited.. going to not make many friends that way.. LOL

jnc and Rik Peery like this.
  10. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA and Welcome to the wonderful world of Camping.

As JNC advised, level the pup first, before raising the roof. Also, if you do use a BAL be sure to chock the wheels on the opposite side.

landon6062 likes this.
  11. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

THANK YOU JNC : )

quote: if you do use a BAL be sure to chock the wheels on the opposite side.

will do : )

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

6ad4135f4a202c41426d6f8c1f8a6abc--welcome-to-group.jpg

landon6062 likes this.
  13. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

[Guitar] Happy and excited to be here.. thank you

jnc likes this.
  14. DJS12354

If no one has said it yet: Camp Driveway! Just sitting in the camper and discussing things is a great way to prepare. Also, keep a tablet and pen handy to make notes!

landon6062 and Rik Peery like this.
  15. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Thanks DJs...good advice.

Well I go part of it right, taking notes, Camper is Still in the "driveway", delivered last night...... haven't been able to level it yet, so I can't even open "my present" till I get that accomplished.. LOL

Perhaps a little bit overexcited about it all.. : )

16. DJS12354

Nah, not over-excited[:D]. You just spent a chunk of change on a new toy and want to play with it. We bought our pup late in the season, last year and are just taking it out camping today. We have had it up for a while in the driveway. Stocked with "permanent" stuff and spent a night in it. Also have spent time, just sitting and talking about "stuff for camping"
    Enjoy yourself. Life is too short not to have some fun!

landon6062 likes this.
  17. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I'm sitting in mine having coffee right now.

landon6062 likes this.
  18. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Welcome to the portal. I also have a 06 Niagara. Great camper.

One question, is it fairly level side to side? If so, then you can just easily level front to back using the tongue jack and pop up without any issues but if it is noticeably off level side to side, then level both axis. After you level and pull out the beds and slide out, drop down the stabilizers and snug them up to the floor.

If I remember correctly, I believe the BAL is rated to be used with the 3500lb axle used on the Niagara. I use a BAL with mine (after all the mods and being loaded, my axle weight is close to 5,200lbs). If you do go this route, just keep the threads lubed up and you shouldn't have a problem.

landon6062 likes this.
  19. KamperKel

KamperKel Active Member

Hi Donna,
    Welcome from Summerville, SC [:D]
    We are also new to popup camping, but not to camping in general. Hubby and I tent camped for 8 yrs prior to purchasing our popup this year.
    I can imagine your excitement!!

landon6062 likes this.
  20. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome to the Portal from N/W Fl Panhandle and congrats on the NTU Fleetwood. You will love it once you "make it your own" try this site for great ideas, www.popupprincess.com
    You have had quite a bit of advice on here that I do not need to repeat. Except make sure the wheels are chocked and make sure it is level, use the stabilizers for that purpose only and not for leveling or you can possible warp the frame. Hope Ya'll have many great adventures in the future with the Fleetwood.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

landon6062 likes this.