New tow vehicle needed

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Bonecrusher, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher Active Member

Anyone have any recommendations for a tow vehicle?

I have a 07 Fleetwood Saratoga. Gross at 3500lbs and I'm definitely just around that after getting an idea of contents and such. Usually have at minimum 4 people in the car. Plus gear. So I guess we are averagi g about 5000lbs of total weight between camper and cargo.

Looking for a midsize SUV in the 2010 or later range.

I've been reading Info on lots of cars but I know some things look better on paper.

So any one have some ideas or experiences to share?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

What is your budget?

3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

back in 2010 when i was looking for an SUV to tow my 3800 lb highwall, i wanted a midsize SUV that could tow at least 7000 lbs - i wanted alot of extra tow capacity. There were not many midsize that high - in fact there was only three at the time the 2010 ford explorer, the Nissan Pathfinder, and the Dodge Durango (redesigned in 2011). Side note: the explorer was redesigned in 2011 - and it dropped off the list when the tow capacity dropped to 5000 lbs. So, I got the 2011 Durango with the V8engine - I towed that highwall popup close to 15,000 miles in 5 years to include out west and all over the east coast with usually 4 people in the vehicle. was very happy it. I still have the Durango and now tow a 6200 lb hybrid. Still very happy with it and we have towed the hybrid out west across the Rockies and all over the east coast.

back when i bought it in 2011 - it was classified as a midsize SUV - i see that they (the car knowitalls) now consider it a large SUV - but it is kinda the smallest of the large (or largest of the midsize LOL). And it fits in my garage.

Whatever you are looking at - i would recommend that it has the factory tow package -

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Bonecrusher

I have a budget around 10-15k

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I second that emotion!

6. Bonecrusher

My current truck, a 2002 suburban has a factory tow package. I think the reason the tranny has lasted this long is because of that transmission cooler.

I wonder how much life it has left and if I should put more.money into her before buying another car...

7. Jonson01

Jonson01 Member

Nissan pathfinder in that year/price range looked pretty good to us when shopping recently. We did however go for the larger Armada. 1 more seat and more tow capacity. But it was a close decision.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have Toyota 4 runner, it has a tow limit of 5000 back in 06 they had a V8 option that could tow like 6000 or something like that. I love my 4 runner and it's a very dependable vehicle. They are expensive but I never had to replace anything major except the catalytic converter. However I think you will be at max payload when your fully packed. Something I was shocked about, is how low the payload really is on pretty much any mid SUV.

9. Bonecrusher

With these smaller SUVs like Pathfinder or 4runner. I probably would max out.
    Are you guys using weight distribution hitches??

10. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

with my Durango and the highwall camper - i did not need a weight distribution hitch. I do use one with the hybrid.

11. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

I have a Jeep GC with HEMI; tow capacity is something like 7,200. The Jeeps with the 6 cylinder can tow a bit over 6,000 pounds.

Love my GC and it tows my 3,500 Aliner just fine. Three essentials with either sized Jeep engine (or really any setup): 1) Factory Tow Package, 2) Electric Brakes (which your trailer should already have) and brake controller, 3) Sway Control Bar.

12. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I used to tow with Suburbans. What I can tell you is you have been spoiled. During that time I tried towing my pup with other smaller SUV's and I was never happy with them. I fully expect you will find yourself in the same situation. Unless the truck is rusting apart and nickel and diming you at every corner I would fix it and keep on trucking till another suitable Burb comes your way.

1380ken and neighbormike like this.
  13. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

Google moose test and look at some test by practical caravan of the vehicles you are looking at. Granted these are tests from Europe but they will give you a general idea of how that vehicle can handle emergency situations. There are some popular vehicles I personally would consider as a daily driver let alone towing with them.

14. Bonecrusher

I ended up picking up a new 2019 ram 1500.
    I was able to sell the burb for a decent selling price and I made out good in all areas.

After test driving all the keeps, Durango's, Pathfinders, 4runner.. I felt like I was missing something.

Big difference between the suburban and the ram. I will definitely miss the suburban. It was such an awesome reliable truck. The ram is awesome though and I'm looking forward to getting some camping trips in!

15. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Good to see someone get a capable tow vehicle instead of a small four cylinder SUV with an overrated tow capacity.

kcsa75 likes this.
  16. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

You will be much happier with the Ram than you would have any of the lesser options, and it was much more affordable than a new Burb, those things have gotten insanely expensive. A half ton pickup by any manufacturer would do you well if you can get by with 6 tight seats

17. Bonecrusher

I bought the cr
    I bought the crew cab - so it is MORE than enough space for us. The crew cab back seat is like a small couch for my kids.

I looked at the new burb/tahoe, but yeah - the prices are ridiculous and they are way too foo-foo for me. too much luxury and not enough rugged-ness. I felt like I was driving a NYC uber...

I have more than enough capacity now to tow my camper, load the thing up with all our gear and go and if I ever up grade and go bigger, I still have tow capacity to spare within reason. I still have a truck capable of bringing out on the beach to go surf fishing, and i like the idea that I can toss some dead fish or bait in the bed and keep the smell out of the cabin - that was a down fall of the suburban - but probably its only downfall. I loved the burb, but the repairs were turning into a monthly car payment!

My favorite feature so far is the backup camera - its amazing how accurate it is with lining up the trailer hitch!!

Overall - I think I made the right choice!`

RockyRoo, NMroamer and neighbormike like this.
  18. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree with you more! I owned an '01 Yukon XL - plenty of comfort and power - no leather, no wood and whatever else... look at a new one and they have taken all of the utility out them. And that's not even touching the pricing issue. I think GM is missing a large (should be) target marketing group.

jmkay1 likes this.
  19. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I think you will be happy with this decision. :)

20. Bonecrusher

Got my first trip under my belt with my new ram. What a big difference from my old suburban. Braking is better, acceleration is better, gas mileage is better. Overall very happy with the decision!