New tow vehicle!

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by mysticbus, Mar 8, 2019.

1. mysticbus

mysticbus New Member

So after 21K miles of issues with my 2017 Toyota Tacoma, I decided to trade it in.
    I bought a Certified Pre Owned 2017 Chevy Colorado with the optional Duramax Diesel and tow package.
    What a fantastic lightweight tow vehicle! So much low end torque and so much tech related to towing. The built in exhaust brake is completely brilliant in action, and the integrated brake controller works far better than anything I have ever used.
    Also, I have been getting about 28mpg in town, and about 35mpg on the highway unloaded, and about 18-22mpg on the highway pulling a 3k trailer.

Enough blabbering, how about some pics? Here is the Tacoma and the Colorado, I think the Colorado sits a bit more level with the trailer on.

Attached Files:

2. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

What kind of issues with the Toyota?

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Its a Toyota [:D] o kid , i kid!

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Looks really good, You will not know the PUP is behind you. Good Luck and keep on camping

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nice looking truck and camper. Contrary to popular belief Japanese cars and trucks do have issues.

6. mysticbus

mysticbus New Member

two rear ends due to howling, rear suspension to try to fix driveline vibration, cab mounts, cab leak, transmission shift issues. All in all, about $8K in warranty repair in one year.

7. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I've always had good luck with my Toyotas but goes to show every manufacturer can put out a lemon once in a while. Nice looking Chevy though, I didn't know that anybody made the smaller pickups with a diesel option!

Blackripley and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. mysticbus

mysticbus New Member

Yup, Ford just re-released the Ranger, and they make a Raptor version of it with a 2.8L diesel, same size as the Colorado. And next year Jeep is releasing the Gladiator, it is a 4 door Wrangler with a 5 foot pickup bed, they are going to offer that with the Dodge 3.0 Ecodiesel.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

My DW loves her 2011 Tacoma TRD nd has not had any problems with it and has 50 k miles on it. But with anything else there happens to get a lemon.

10. mysticbus

mysticbus New Member

Yeah, I was planning on trying to make the Tacoma my last truck, and I really liked it, but I thought it best to pass it on before the warranty ran out.

11. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I think in your shoes I'd have done the same.

12. paepae805

paepae805 Member

Is your PUP 2280BHESP? We have the 2018 model and it appears to be the same. Maybe a year or two off. My TV is a 12 Tacoma double cab 4x4. It tows very nice. Sorry to hear your Tacoma didn't work out but the new truck looks legit!

13. mysticbus

mysticbus New Member

That's what it is. Mine is a 2019. I bet they didn't change much, if anything at all.

14. paepae805

paepae805 Member

Awesome choice. What made you lean toward the ESP? I think the main factors for me were the larger off-road tires, the color, and the options we were looking for. We opted for AC and the inside shower/toilet. The front storage is where I keep the coolers, portable wood pellet smoker, and a few other items. Hope to get out later this month once the snow fully melts and the temps are consistently in the 50s.

15. mysticbus

mysticbus New Member

I don't know. I saw the ESP and thought it was pretty cool. Plus we camped at a primitive site in Seminole State Forest one time, and it was only one spot on the river with no hookups and a dirt forest road in, so I thought if we ever wanted to go to a place like that again, I could always pull it there with my 4 wheel drive truck. Plus my driveway is kinda steep, and all trailers drag at the road transition except this one. Mine also has AC, I live in FL, all campers you buy here have AC for the most port, and I have the shower too. I bolted a couple of tough boxes on the front deck, I keep all my outside hookup supplies in it. A dewalt cordless for the jacks, wheel chocks, jack pads, and on the other side I put my electrical wires and hoses and accessories. I also ditched the one battery that came with it, and wired up dual 75AH Optima yellow top batteries.