New TV. Do I have to have my WDH readjusted?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by mjsny, Aug 16, 2015.

1. mjsny

mjsny Member

Hi Folks. I Bought a used 2014 Expedition EL with the Max Tow Package yesterday. I have a trip coming up in a couple in a few days and not sure I will be able to get the WDH adjusted in time. Is there something I should look for or can you tell from the pictures if it needs adjusting? The former TV was a 2013 Dodge Durango and the Hitch is a Pro Series 10K with trunnion bars.

Expedition is 18" from bottom of hitch to pavement
    Durango is 20" from bottom of hitch to pavement but it sags much more under load.

[​IMG]
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/harPn0jF6dKpchXL2LJll3IOJmHQbhzDoRtzmpyptq0=w2288-h1544-no/img]
    [img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UukOQg0jn6XQFdVmXCxTDH6-YsdEsfokwRyb3Ul1kCg=w2060-h1544-no
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. natty bumppo

natty bumppo 2009 F-150,1998 Coleman Westlake

By the pic it looks like too much sag causing more weight on front TT axle and rear Expedition axle. Run a Youtube search for adjusting a WDH. There are numerous videos.

3. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Did you move the WDH up 2"? If it was correctly set up and the new TV is 2" lower, you need to raise the ball 2" to start to get close.

4. AlsChopShop

AlsChopShop Delightfully Incompetent

Move the adjustable hitch to the top bolt holes. If that isn't enough to be level, flip it so it has rise and not drop.

Al

I tapped that.

5. jamesmc321

jamesmc321 Member

Go to the manufacturers site (of the WDH) and adjust according to their specs, not what you see on YouTube or what others are telling you. WDH are easy to adjust if you know what / how to do so; and everyone of them adjusts differently... Just my [2C]

6. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Went through the same thing about a week ago.
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]Have the TV and HTT disconnected and on level ground, trailer level fore/aft. Measure from the ground to the bottom of the trailer tongue.
    [*]Then measure to the top of the hitch ball. The hitch ball should be about 2" higher (ball is going inside hitch receiver and more than likely a 2" ball.)
    [/list]
    That will set the height of the WDH.
    Then measure at the center of the front and rear axle of the TV from the ground to the bottom of the fender.
    Hook it up, measure again and the dimensions should NOT be more than an 1" difference. If it is, then the chains on the WDH bars will require adjustment to bring the rear end up and move the front down. (distribute the weight forward).
    That is how I did it and it worked out well. No issues towing.
    Except for forgetting to loosen the anti-sway bar while trying to get into a gas station. Man, that trailer doesn't want to turn good with that engaged. Almost took out the side of the trailer against one of those big tube barriers. yikes. [:O]

7. mjsny

mjsny Member

Thanks for the suggestions folks. First trip with the new TV is this weekend so I am going adjust the hitch tomorrow.

8. mjsny

mjsny Member

I was able to get the hitch setup correctly in time for our mini trip. The Expedition tows great. Here we are coming home on the ferry. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

9. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Love the picture skidz. Nice angle and view of the water. Thanks for sharing.