New TV Ford F150

Bobby999

Runnin' with the pack!
Jan 24, 2009
I just purchased a new 2011 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 off road with the 5.0 V8 engine. Here's a pic

IMG_0432.jpg

Need to change my sig now [:D]

Clueless

I use to have a handle on life but it broke.
Apr 6, 2011
Shaweet! Congrat's on the new ride! I thought you were going with the F250?

edit: I just noticed you're a Taco to Ford convert also! LOL

Bobby999

Runnin' with the pack!
Jan 24, 2009
Clueless said:
Shaweet! Congrat's on the new ride! I thought you were going with the F250?

edit: I just noticed you're a Taco to Ford convert also! LOL

We changed our mind as it was too much truck for our neeeds now and future (dark side??) Besides, they gave me an offer I couldn't refuse [:D] We wanted a bigger truck. Nothing wrong with the Tacoma, just a little too small. Love all the room in our new truck. [:D] After talking with other ecoboost owners, they said they didn't get good gas mileage towing and that I would be better off with the V8 and it has good history in the mustang. IDK. I know the ecoboost gets better gas mileage then my V8 without towing. All I know is for city only driving, I'm getting between 14 & 16 mpg. Don't know yet on highway and I have to wait until 1000 miles before towing anything.

Clueless

I use to have a handle on life but it broke.
Apr 6, 2011
Yes, the room in these things is amazing! When I first folded up the back seats I couldn't believe it. I swear you could almost drive a 4 wheeler in there. [LOL]

Congrat's again on your new toy! What did you name it? I named mine Hal cause it talks to me and well.... my name is Dave. [:D]

dave-2001-space-odyssey-hal-9000-sad-hill-news.jpg

Bobby999

Runnin' with the pack!
Jan 24, 2009
Yeah, mine talks to me also. [:O] [:D] I haven't figured out all the sync commands yet. But, I will. No, I haven't given it a name yet. I might just let it tell ME [LOL] I love this truck.

phipps

Super Active Member
Jan 27, 2007
Sidney, OH
Rockies Bill said:
After talking with other ecoboost owners, they said they didn't get good gas mileage towing and that I would be better off with the V8....

From what I've read the Ecoboost (when towing) isn't getting any worse mileage that what your V8 will likely get when towing. I've always read to figure 8-10mpg when towing in anything other than a diesel.

Unstable_Tripod

Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
Seattle, Washington
Mine has the Bluetooth cell phone connection and DW almost freaked out the first time we used it. We were driving down I-5 on our way to one of the kids' houses when a voice interrupted the radio to say, "Incoming phone call." She had no idea the truck had this system. I love the hands-free phone system. (Besides, using a hand-held cell phone while driving is illegal in Washington.)

TX_F2

Super Active Member
Mar 30, 2008
Texas
phipps said:
From what I've read the Ecoboost (when towing) isn't getting any worse mileage that what your V8 will likely get when towing. I've always read to figure 8-10mpg when towing in anything other than a diesel.

I sure hope they are getting more than 8-10mpg towing a pop up. [:O]

I have one of the heaviest (non toy hauler) pop ups made, it's over 3,000 lbs unloaded and I get anywhere from about 15 to 17 mpg towing it with my Dodge Ram V8.

I also have heard about the Ecoboost getting worse mileage than the V8's towing due to the turbo always in boost which uses more fuel. However, I believe that is only true for much heavier loads than the average pop up weighs and therefore is not an issue when towing a pup.

turborich

Super Active Member
Jun 22, 2010
Las Vegas, NV.
TX_F2 I have one of the heaviest (non toy hauler) pop ups made, it's over 3,000 lbs unloaded and I get anywhere from about 15 to 17 mpg towing it with my Dodge Ram V8.

What year Ram & what engine?

I have an 05 Ram quad cab 2WD with the 4.7 liter V-8 and in town I can only squeeze out about 11.5 mpg in town, haven't figured hwy or towed with it yet. It gets the worst gas mileage of any truck I have driven except for my old 1977 F150 which only got 9 mpg. I looked up the EPA fuel mileage rating and it's about right, 12 city/16 Hwy. I guess it's just a big truck with a little V-8. I hear that the new Ram Hemi's are getting better numbers due the cylinders being able to shut off when they are not needed. I forgot the name of it.

My 00 Expedition 5.4 liter V-8 does about the same or just a tad better as far as fuel mileage, When I'm towing the 3,000 pup I get about 13.5 mpg with it behind me.

Anyways, Congrats on the new truck, she's a beauty! :) Let us know the MPG numbers once she's broke in.

TX_F2

Super Active Member
Mar 30, 2008
Texas
turborich

It's a 2010 with a HEMI, and you are correct, it has the Multiple Displacement System (MDS) that allows it to run on only 4 cyclinders in low load conditions. On the 2011 & 2012's they changed the name to Fuel Saver Technology (FST).

I live in TX where it is mostly flat so I am lucky enough to get really good gas mileage towing the Niagara, however when camping in the Texas "Hill Country" the mileage did dip down to 14.8 - 14.9 mpg towing at 65 mph.

Yellowkayak

Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you
Mar 13, 2007
I've been reading a lot about the Eco Boost engine. Realistically its not getting much better than my 4.8 ltr Chevy crewcab. I get 23 on the highway sometimes if there is no head wind, and 21 normally on the highway. I get a consistent 16.8 MPG in the city if I drive conservatvely (soetimes my impatients with really slow drivers gets the best of me), and I get a consistent 14.8 towing my 2007 Niagra loaded to the hilt with suppulies topping near 4000 pounds, then two 16 foot kayaks on the roof and cap of my truck with about another 70 to 80 pounds of extra gear in the bed. Each kayak wighe 68 - 70 pounds, the rack system (Thule Hullivators) weight an additional 60 pounds total. Two people and everything is pushing 4500. I do wish I opted for the 5.3 ltr fuel management engine like the wife has in her Chevy Trailblazer, but she doesn't ahve the room or the towing packing like my truck does. If it did I would probably squeek about 16 - 17 MPG towing with that.

Sure wish the diesels weren't so darn expensive, because I would have gotten one of those and probably get 20 MPG towing.

JJ

marines0811

Aug 23, 2011
I just upgraded to the new ecoboost from a 2002 F-150 that got 10 -12 in town and maybe 14-16 on hwy no towing . I love the Ecoboost !! Smooth and has the power to get up and go. Plus so much more room inside. Will find out how much I miss that extra foot of box space when we take her camping.