New TV, So excited HONDA PILOT

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by eemich10, Jun 9, 2015.

1. eemich10

eemich10 New Member

After months of research, we decided on a new TV and put a deposit on a Honda Pilot. It seems to fit all our needs and th3 4500 tow capacity is more than adequate for our 950 lb pop up.

Also able to get a few more options I wanted for everyday driving (leather, moonroof, heated seats)

My sister has a Ridgeline and they love it- but I wanted the optional third row for family.

Anyone using the Pilot?

2. msparl01

msparl01 New Member

We have a Pilot though ours can pull only 3500 pounds. Still enough for our pup and since it's used WAAAY more as a daily driver for DW, it's a comfy reliable ride for the whole fam.

3. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

We pull with one too. Love the vehicle but looking at replacing it with a truck. The Pilot just isn't big enough for us as a camping vehicle for our family anymore.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

4. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

I tow a 12ft popup with 2011 pilot. I take it easy and it works just fine for us. I think my trailer is over 2k lbs.

5. eemich10

eemich10 New Member

Its more than enough vehicle for us- two adults and a dog- but we often drive our nephews and elderly inlaws around (not camping, but on trips) so this is perfect for us. Maybe too much.

But its a big birthday year- so a big vehicle purchase [:D]

[PUC] [TV]

6. Midlo_Dave

Midlo_Dave New Member

We are very happy towning our 12' pop-up with our '09 Pilot. It is a very versatile vehicle. With the 3 row seat you can decide between people moving or stuff hauling. It is great for our family camping vacations, kids car pool, and boy scout trips.

It does tend to bounce a bit when towing our pop-up. Perhaps I need a weight distributing hitch or install some air bags.

7. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

Glad to hear about the Honda Pilot being able to "tow". I'm considering getting another vehicle and I've wanted to know....with what "specifications" (details) did you need to get the Honda Pilot with?
    Does the Pilot come with a 7-pin adaptor? if not, can you have one put in "before" you drive it off the lot from the dealer? so they can warranty the 7-pin connector?
    thanks.
    List details of your Honda Pilot's specifications. that would help.

8. eemich10

eemich10 New Member

The 4WD towing capacity is 4500 lb- the 2WD is 2000 lbs.

It comes with a hitch installed (standard on all later models), but I believe not all come with a wire harness- mine did not. I had a 4 pin installed- and so far this vehicle has ben perfect.

We bought the 2012 EX-L (the middle model) and its a dream driving everyday, super comfortable and sporty, and a capable tow vehicle.

9. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Love ours! The touring model comes with the wiring installed but it looks easy to add

10. catseye

catseye all I remember is dirt...sky...dirt...ambulance

We tow our big Highwall with a Honda Ridgeline. It's an amazing vehicle, and I know 3 folks with Pilots. Also great vehicles.

11. msuce99

msuce99 New Member

We bought a 2011 Honda Pilot EX 2wd back in December as my wife's daily driver. It came with a tow hitch standard, but no tow wiring harness. I bought a harness from e-trailer.com and towed our '97 Coleman Yukon 250 miles round trip camping last month. It had no problems towing except once, when I accellerated too quickly to cross a 4-lane highway, the front wheels spun a little. [:O]

I would have no problems towing with it again. The 2011 year model I know came standard with an auxiliary transmission cooler and the factory tow hitch. The tow rating for this year model in 2WD is 3,500 lbs.

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I was contemplating on buying a Pilot but found 2014 Ford Explorer last month. It can tow 5050 lbs with tow package. Has 2WD 3.5L V6. Came with 7 pin plug. and I added P2 Brake controller that was the only mod I made on my explorer.

13. Jughed

Jughed Member

Yes - the older 2WD models are rated at 3500#.

I've towed a 1007 Jayco, 2 adults - 3 kids and gear all over the low country with the our 10' Pilot EXL. Plenty of power, braking is OK - but I had wheel spin more than once.

14. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Used Honda pilot are the sleeper tow vehicles . Most owners with the tow package which came standard never used it .
    If you get a touring or ex 4wd they come standard. You can tell from the removal tab on the bumper. Which you will see it un-removed in most cases.

I have seen the pilot towing small hybrids or small TT around here. congrats.

15. thesgc

thesgc Member

The new 2015 AWD Pilot has a 5000 lbs towing capacity, I'm eyeing that as the next car in the family. My wife is still deciding between a 12ft popup or a 17ft 3 wing hybrid for the next camper in a few years.

16. Jughed

Jughed Member

I don't recommend the Pilot for the 17' Hybrid. Not enough wheelbase - or power if pulling in the mountains/hills. My boat+gear is 4k+/-, about the same as a 17'Hybrid loaded with gear. I've pulled the boat around with the Pilot and it was at its limits in terms of power and handling, and even put us in some iffy situations on the freeway at 55.

With my truck I've pulled both the boat and the Hybrid - the Hybrid is tougher to pull & has more wind resistance - I wouldn't even try it with the Pilot.

In the mountains or even hard rolling hills, towing 4k+/- with the Pilot would tax the vehicle hard.

We just specifically purchased a 10' Jayco Pup vs. a 14' Jayco high side Pup or 19 Hybrid so we could pull it with the Pilot if needed.