New TV?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by scubacamper, Oct 7, 2019.

1. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Okay, the Chrysler T&C is getting long in the tooth 130k miles and starting to drive me nuts with little things I'm spending money on. With that being said I've looked online at the Pacifica and the new Hyundai Palasaides, both nice vehicles. There's also the Toyota 4-Runner but it's WAY over priced. I'm curious what thoughts everyone has out there, we're probably a year or less out from buying one though this is about the time of year I normally make the call because I'm willing to look at one off lease from one of the rental agencies.
    Here's our needs...

Tow 3800lbs +
    Seat 6+ (This means I don't get the pick up I want)

Thanks everyone.

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Looks like the Ford Expedition class vehicle is the best way to meet your needs.

3. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

I'm not a big Ford kind of guy but I'll check it out...thanks. A friend said I should look at a Suburban but that is just too big and for day to day driving the DD's around to Karate and music that would just not be an option.

4. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Curious as to why you think thAt having a pickup means you can' t have seating for six? My f150 has plenty of room.

5. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

If you’re a Chrysler fan check out the Durango. It splits the difference between the midsize and full-size SUVs. With the Hemi it can tow 7,400 lbs, but even the base V6 can do 6,200.

If you’re set on the 3,800 lb towing capacity, all minivans are off the table since the Chrysler vans are tops at 3,600. All others are 3,500 or less.

I have heard great things about the Palisade and it’s cousin, the Kia Telluride, so far.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have a Toyota 4 runner v6 I love the vehicle,but I know I wouldn't want to tow much more than 3500 with my setup. If you have a large family you may find your top payload capacity will be reached way way before you even get close to the tow capacity. Just my two cents.

7. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

A nicer shaped, same mileage chevy v8 will fit you well. Tahoe, burban, 4dr pickup. 5.3 engine and above from a non-salt climate with 150K miles will last you for years to come.
    upload_2019-10-8_14-13-43.png

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We picked up a 2013 Expedition 5.4L with tow package. We like the way the back seats fold flush in the vehicle for storage. Some vehicles, the seats have to be manually removed and stored somewhere. It hardly knows the Aliner is behind it.

9. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Not a Chryser/Dodge guy myself. I have actually had 3 different mechanics tell me to avoid the Ram I was considering over another GMC. That says something.
    I worked at a Hyundai dealership for a year and have owned 2 different Hyundai products. Never again will I purchase something Korea made.....cheap poor quality parts.
    My next truck is gonna be another GMC. I have owned 4 and never regretted it.

10. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

So if the Burb is too big then so will the Expy be, the Burb/Tahoe is the same size as the Expy/EL/Max. Have you considered seeing if the Traverse/Acadia/Exploder can still be found with a 5000 pound rating? As mentioned above, the Durango might also not be a bad option.

11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I don't know about the current Durango, but the few-years-ago model actually had a comfy back seat, even for adult people, and a good tow capacity. (My parents have one.)

I have a pickup, the WIDE one (Ford Superduty). I have had 6 people in it. Nobody is happy for long. Especially the person in the middle in the front...Short trips around town? Sure. Road trip? nooooooooooooooooooooo

12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I agree....6 people in a crew cab isn't fun.

J Starsky likes this.
  13. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

In roadway maintenance work, they call those 4 door flat beds a "6-pack".

[SNZ] Sleeps 6 county guys! [:D]