New vs. Used

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by badgamuss, Oct 23, 2012.

1. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

I have notices that there are a number of people that purchase older PUP and do everything from simple fixes to complete rebuilds. In my case, I purchased a 2010 model that was only used once. I wanted something that I could take out right away with the family and not have to worry about fixing any potential issues. I did have to install a new thermostat.

I was just wondering what made others purchase what they did. Understanding that money is always an issue, but where there other reasons involved as well?

2. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

I went used, but found one that only needed new tires before being ready to camp. When it costs a fraction of the new one it seemed like a no-brainer to me. If I had more available time, I might have bought a project camper but right now time is at a premium. I'd rather spend it camping than fixing :)

3. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

My p'up was just a few years old when I bought it and was only actually camped in a handfull of times. It was, for the most part, in like new condition at about 1/2 the price of the same model or similar brand new.

Personally, I don't like buying stuff like this new. They depreciate very quickly and, like I noted, you can get a slightly used model at a fraction of the cost of buying brand new.

4. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I think most of the time it comes down to $$. Bought mine 3 yrs. old and paid about 1/2 the original MSRP. OTHO, some PUPs have a following, like the Apaches. And a few want a retro look so they have to buy old. Kinda like cars where they will restore it. Finally, some just like to tinker and personalize it. Why buy a new one just to tear it up and change it.

5. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

Used, because who can resist a $50 camper at a yard sale?

[:D]

(We never would have splurged on a "toy" which we, personally, only use once every couple of months. )

Plus I enjoy fixing up other people's junk and making it nice (or at least functional) again. I sort of feel like I'm beating the system.

6. rfd21170

rfd21170 New Member

Bought our used mainly because of the money. But was lucky finding one that had everything I wanted. It did need some things fixed but was able to take her out a couple of times this fall. I still need to fix some things yet but I love doing that. My MS has not limited me on fixing things, it just takes me alot longer to get her done. Might be a little big for just the two of us but with a/c , furnace, toilet (!), slide out kitchen it really makes things easier for us and lets us able to get back into camping and that's really therapeutic for me and love it.

7. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

My first two p'ups were left over units bought after the newer models had come out for what I thought were good discounts and, of course, with new purchase warranties. The third unit was purchased used from my neighbor and that was an extraordinary bargain (I'm now searching for another one of those!) -

Have been on some wild goose chases looking for one of these units used (who could afford one new!) - and if nothing shows up soon will have to revert back to another p'up.

[​IMG]

8. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Fly, so the teardrop is yours' or you're looking for one? It wasn't clear to me! [?:~{]

9. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

Just so everyone knows, I did purchase mine used as well. I paid 1/2 of what the retail was. I did not see any reason to purchase a new one when this one was only used 1 time and was practically new. [:)C]

10. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

Yeah, let other people take the depreciation!

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We bought the first pup as used for two reasons:cost and no one seemed to be making a small model at the time (it was a six foot box with one bunk).
    We bought new-old-stock last year, classified as used, because it was the model we liked, we actually got a better price on it than any truly used ones we found, and we were not interested in a project pup. We'd totally renovated the previous one, so decided mods were all we wanted to do in a newer one.

12. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I bought new because the model I wanted wasn't available used, newer model. But if i could find a gently used one i would certainly consider it.

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I bought my Fleetwood Yuma "new" because it was a left over model that had sat on the dealer's lot for a year and had been used as a display at an RV show. I got a tremendous deal on it. I used it for a few years and then sold it for pretty close to what I paid. I liked having a new PUP because: it was under warranty (that came in handy because of a furnace igniter problem); no one else had had a chance to mess it up by using it incorrectly; and there had not been time for wear and tear damage to occur.

When I decided I wanted a TrailManor there was no question about getting used one. The new ones are hideously expensive. I just shopped and waited, hanging out on trailer forums and checking websites like Craigslist for cities all over the western US every few days. When I finally found a good deal I jumped on it. My TM was two years old but had only been used five times. It had all of the options. I've been completely satisfied even though I had to do some maintenance and repair after my two-month, 8,100-mile trip. I'm pretty sure that I could sell it today for what I paid for it.

14. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

One other possible reason for buying old. The really old ones, 60's to 80's are much lighter than the newer models. Might save someone having to upgrade the TV.

15. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

We bought new because we had the money from selling our teardrop. Also, I didn't want to take on other people's problems or dirt. I don't like surprises and didn't want to find surprises, like rotted floor or broken lifts, etc. Never gave depreciation a thought.

16. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

"Fly, so the teardrop is yours' or you're looking for one? It wasn't clear to me! [?:~{]"

That's what I've been looking for with not so good results. Looked at a couple of overpriced pig styes and drove a gazillion miles to look at them to boot, too!

17. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I like those little T@Bs but they are definitely not cheap! I think that part of the cost is all of the super lightweight materials they use. You can move those things around by hand. (Notice the hand grip loops on both sides in the front.)

18. Pilot371

Pilot371 Member

Had looked for a couple of years at used. Never found the right one.
    Went to the RV show in Toronto, and found one we loved.
    Had a great deal on it (not as good as used) and we bought it.

Right now the bank still owns 1/2 of it, but it'll be ours soon enough.
    We take great care of it, and I am sure it will last many many years for us.

19. crazysapache

crazysapache New Member

I got my apache for 300 couldnt pass it up

20. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I bought used because the $ was right,layout was right,location was right...and DW said I could ::)

Screw it let's camp !