New vs. Used

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by badgamuss, Oct 23, 2012.

1. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

I bought a used pup that was ready to camp but needs a little work. It's easier on the wallet to throw down $700 now and then $100 here and there as need until its like new. Than throwing 3k down at once. Not to mention if you like DIY then it's more fun. I also don't have to worry about modding the hell out of it since I "only" paid $700. I figure any used pup is going to have hidden surprises so I would rather be surprised on my cheap pup.

I would never buy a new pup the depreciation is insane on them. If I ever get another pup I will give 2-3 yr old models a look but who knows what will happen. As of right now what I have is perfect for us and when it's all done it will be the only like it, taylored just for the wife and I.

2. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

We bought a new pup because we can't afford to risk little "surprises" since we are in Korea.

We also always buy new cars because we drive them into the ground before we sell them.

3. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

My very 1st ever brand new off the showroom car was a GLC [?]Remember them? I drove it to work the 1st day, it was a bit windy and parked next to a Benz in the back lot. Opened the door and it flew out of my hand and into the Benz [:O] I was used to driving "old" Nova's, GTO's and a Karman Ghia= all solid!! I am skeptical of brand new, never used [8D]

4. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

It it wasn't for financial considerations, we would buy everything new. [;)]

5. efehser

efehser New Member

Money was the overriding factor, but also size and weight- the 89 is 200 pounds lighter than a comparable 20--, important because of my parking/storage at home. Got a peach too, doesn't need repairs, just some updating/personalization.

6. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

I always try to buy used if a good deal is to be had. Although my first pup was used, my current pup I bought brand new. The only reason I bought new is because at the time, there were no used Fleetwood Arcadia's. I did not like the interior colors of the 2007. The 2008's were much better in color and no used ones out there. That's exactly what I wanted, and it's exactly what I got.

7. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

I know there are serious campers out there...but in this day's economy who can afford a new "anything"? We can't...but we are happy with what we have! [Guitar]

8. BigBaron

If you look at the "Going to the dark side" forum, it seems that a lot of people can afford new trailers.
    For me, it's about knowing where the trailer's been, and what my time is worth.

9. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Key words here are "it seems" and "afford". Many can buy...but who can afford? [2C]

10. sdn40

sdn40 Member

In life, the more you know, the more you don't know.

In smaller pursuits, I have tried to think that the more you know, the more you know. I just recently relenquished that when it comes to cars. I can no longer change my own spark plugs. Did you know there are probably 4 or 5 dampers and damper motors under your dash just to direct the heat and a/c ? I recently found that out, along with the fact that it would take the dealer 4 hours just to access these dampers to fix my climate control. Needless to say, I am not happy with the prospect of having my car repairs handled by people who now make enough money per hour to have me ask " are you fixing my car or defending me in a murder case?"

So when it came to my camper, I pursued a simple, small, inexpensive camper to rebuild. I wanted one with canvas I could throw away so I knew exactly what I had. I took the whole thing apart and repainted or replaced every finish or panel. I know what holds my camper together and can fix it myself. It's simple enough to be something that will never pose as a headache, relying on someone else to fix. That freedom is recreation as well. Simplicity, and having the camper built exactly how I wanted, exactly the colors I wanted, and instead of paying $14,000 for an E1, I have $2000 invested in my E-Jr. No loans, not cash strapped. And that sense of accomplishment I can no longer get by spending 15 hours digging around the dash of my car.

This is Scott and I endorse this message [:D]

11. BigBaron

If I lived in the states, I'd do the same thing. ;)

12. bropaul

bropaul New Member

After many years of tent camping, I told my DH that "I was too old to get up off of a deflated air mattress"... (a few expletives were deleted for public viewing [:O]). Hubby continued to camp with his brothers but I really missed it. 4 years later I found a '92 Coleman on eBay and bought it for $500. We didn't even have a hitch on our van so the seller offered to drop it off on his way to Ohio. We were in heaven! It was only a 10' box but we had a king and a full size bed. No frig, no potty, no water tank but we had a place to store all our camping stuff and it fit in the garage once I cleaned it out! Since it had been used by hunters it needed a little cleaning and I made new curtains for it. The roof, canvas and floor were solid and it came with an add-a-room! We loved our little camper and used it for 5 years. Then I was 'just looking' on eBay and I found an '03 Coleman Westlake that was an insurance salvage... it had been stolen and had a little damage. But I checked blue book and we were able to purchase it for a small fraction of that price. We had to have the rear bed canvas replaced as it had several burn holes in the roof... probably from wind blown campfire ash... and some curtains were missing so I made new ones. Everything else was fine. But now we have all the bells and whistles, separate indoor and outdoor stoves, frig, toilet, shower, 2 king beds, water tank, pump and heater. Of course the hubby thought AC was a little extreme for a camper, but he is the first one to turn it on when we set up! (We sold the '92 for $750.[:D]) Last spring I found a NIB 11' Coleman add-a-room for $250... also on eBay. (Now that we are retired, I have to stay away from that site!)

Maybe it is because of our older age and our desire NOT to go into debt, but we have not found any problem going with used. Except for the fact that the '03 is wider... it would fit in our garage with the van... as long as you can climb out the back hatch of the van![LOL] Thus it is stored in a friend's pole barn.

13. BigBaron

To me, it's amazing the deals that people find.
    One like yours, that only needs a little work, to basically perfect $10,000 trailers for around $2,000 or less.

The freebies are amazing sometimes, too.

Then there are the project trailers-either a passion [:D], a desire for a project [A], or an "oops! [:O] Well, I've gone this far. I might as well finish it."

I love reading about everyone's different adventures-especially the project trailers. that's what I'd be doing if I had a garage... [A]

14. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

The big reason we bought used was $$ of course...and the fact that we needed a light-weight, bare-bones PUP. Almost all of the new/newer Pups were so heavy that it made us nervous to tow with my minivan. We looked at a 2012 Coachmen PUP (the 10ft box with no pottie/shower, had two full sized beds) and it weighed about 2000#. Plus they wanted $12k for it! [:O] [LOL] [:O]

Looking in Craigslist, we found our 1993 Destiny Royale for $1200. [8D] Just like the brand new Coachmen, our PUP has no pottie/shower...but it is bigger at 12ft, has a huge King sized bunk and Full bunk, and it weighs considerably less: 1300#. One of the previous owners had replaced the canvas and bed foam about 6 yrs ago, and aside from some minor cosmetic flaws it was in really good condition. It tows behind my minivan like it's not even there. This is our first camper of any sort so it's less scary for us to have our $$ invested in a used one. We have been very happy with our 20 year old camper!

15. BigBaron

Wow! That's pricey! [:O]

My 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126 is a 12 foot box, two king beds, with every option that is available except A/C wiring and stereo, and it was less than 75% of that amount! [:D]

If I could buy off of Craigslist, I would have tried.

It's the 9,000 mile swim/drive that really makes it hard to get there before someone else! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

16. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

That is a very good point. We could buy a $50,000 RV and a Mercedes to go with it if we wanted to. But we prefer having zero debt and some money in retirement accounts.

(Plus garage sales are so much fun. :) )

(Disclaimer-- of course there are some folks to whom $50,000 is no stretch, but those are a definite minority. )

17. BigBaron

"We could buy a $50,000 RV and a Mercedes to go with it if we wanted to."

Like this? [LOL]

[​IMG]

That AMG63 is around $300K in Korea after taxes and duties... The trailer next to it is around $100K. These guys and all of their Caravan Club members have serious cash.

Our pitiful trailer is in the background...

18. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

All I have to say to that is: [:O] [:O] [:O] [:O]

19. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

We get a lot of moisture here and you have to be hyper-vigilant to prevent mildew on a canvas pup. We also really wanted a vintage camper that we could do all the repairs on ourselves. We are really happy with our 1973 Apache Mesa, we have very little money in it and we worry less about something going wrong with it. :) It had already been altered from the original, so we really had fun with the interior colors when we did the cushions and curtains.

20. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

I'm just glad most of you like the used PUPs, because then we have someone to sell ours to when we want to get a new one.