New vs. Used

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by badgamuss, Oct 23, 2012.

1. trav

trav New Member

I've found that just about anything that has tires on it can be bought in like new condition, for roughly half the cost of a new one. Cars, motorcycles, campers, bicycles, or whatever. Why buy new?

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

One advantage to buying anything new is that you can get exactly what you want. Buying used usually involves compromises on brand, model, year, color, options, etc. When I decided to get a TrailManor I had to buy used because the new ones were horribly expensive. I am happy with the 2619 model I got but my first choice was the 2720 model.

Another advantage is warranty and fewer or no repairs. Some people have the knowledge, skill, time, equipment and place to do repairs, renovations and rebuilds. Others have no skills or clues. New is good for them.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It can also depend on what is available in in your area, or the area where you are willing to consider traveling to look at and possibly buy, whether used or new. It also depends, as UT & others have mentioned, on what you can or want to do for renovating anything used.

As I replied earlier in the thread, we were able to buy a new-old-stock pup from a dealer last year for less than we found anything used during the time-frame we were looking for one in. We were willing to consider used, assuming the size and model were what we were interested in, but everything used was higher priced (even allowing for bargaining room) than the new one we found. Would the same thing apply if we were looking now? I don't know.

4. br00n0

br00n0 New Member

Hi,

We started looking around used popups for our Santa Fe. Being limited to 2000 lbs, most of the used popups were way over our tow limit. Also, when we found something towable, the condition wasn't too good.

So we just went to a dealer, walked across the selection available in the lot and picked the "just right" popup which balanced total weight and options available. (2013 Flagstaff 206LTD, 1500 lbs)

The price was definitely higher than a used one, but the monthly payments are very manageable and we plan to keep it for many, many years.

Regards,

B.

5. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

We were going to purchase used, just because of the depreciation of a new unit... much like a car... once off the lot they go way down in value. However, upon searching for used units on the internet at dealers we ran into some really good deals in January. They were clearing out 2011 units. We picked up our current camper for about $5,000 less than MRSP and with the Palomino, as long as you are original owner the lift system is guaranteed for life! But had we not found these deals we would have surely bought used.