New vs used

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Fireonice612, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Fireonice612

Fireonice612 New Member

What are the benefits of buying new vs used. I know he factory warranties only apply for the new owner. Can you get aftermarket warranties? Is a warranty worth the extra money of a new camper? Thanks for any help.

2. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Some warranties are transferrable. Jayco comes to mind.

Used campers often have all of the bugs worked out, so lack of warranty isn't such a big deal. New campers are built with low quality materials ... they're not built with house-quality materials. As such, there are bugs and such that may need to be ironed out and warranties are, perhaps, more important.

The obvious benefits of new are that nobody else has used/abused the trailer and you can pick out exactly what you want (in terms of options). The obvious cons to new are that it's much more expensive, you eat most of the depreciation, and, as mentioned above, new doesn't mean trouble-free.

The obvious benefits of used are that they're cheaper and most of the bugs have been worked out. The obvious cons are that you might not detect broken items until post-sale, most components have a finite lifespan and the clock started ticking long ago, and you might have to live with a few options and features that you wouldn't have chosen.

It's very much a personal decision that must account for your personal finances, your tolerance for used items, your family's expectations, and a host of other things. Some people would be very dissatisfied making compromises that are often necessary when buying used. Some people would be very dissatisfied with the massive depreciation you assume when you drive a new vehicle off a lot. And so on.

For me, it was easy. I couldn't afford a new PUP in the flooplan I needed. So, I got as new as I could while staying in budget. Had to make a couple of compromises (CP and A/C ... didn't want either). Two years later and I couldn't be happier.

Good luck.

3. Sokokis

Sokokis New Member

After owning a new pup for 3 years, I wish I had either looked around more at used options or rented a few times. The one we ended up buying has some features we don't use (shower), and other things we wish we had (AC). I would suggest renting a few times before you buy, and see what you really use, want, and wish you had before you buy.

4. gypsysooners

gypsysooners Both retired and loving it! Free Thinkers

We just ordered a new hybrid. We had looked at several late model used and, actually, ordered a brand new one for less than the dealers would take for two year old comparable models.

A lot of people just don't realize how much mark-up there is in RV's. And the NADA prices used ones for more than invoice would be on a 2014 new.

If you're wanting a late model or new..., do your homework and go new. Just my humble opinion.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Used is good enough for me..... And I would stay away from aftermarket warranties. Seems they alway have a loop hole.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Used has worked for us for both the pup and the TT ..

More important then "new or used" is how good is the dealer... If you buy new and have a so-so dealer then you'll not like the brand/manufacture or the fact you paid good money and have problems.. I you buy used (from a dealer) and the dealer stands behind what they sell (whether it is their brands or not) and you have issue's that the dealer steps up and resolves.. then you'll have a great experience ...

I can tell you this is so true.. the first dealer we bought from, was happy to see us drive away and didn't offer any help with a couple minor issues we had with the pup.. The dealer we bought the TT from came highly recommended .. and has stood behind what they sell, they are also one of the rare dealers that will offer a 2yr warranty on used trailers newer then 10 years ..

7. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

CamL48 summarized it pretty well. A good used popup will have all the manufacturing defects fixed already!

One of the big things with popups is leaks and water damage. You want to carefully inspect used units for any evidence of leaks. (musty/mildew odor is the first signal). People here can help with what to look for specifically.

I agree with Raycfe about the aftermarket warranties.