New Water Filter

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by PopUpSteve, Apr 12, 2019.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

As part of your yearly maintenance (Spring De-Winterizing for most), don't forget the water filter. Most of these are the external type which go between the water spigot and either the camper's water tank fill port or the direct city water input port. For some, the water filter is located inside the camper, under the sink or in the water heater cabinet.

I let mine go an extra year because, well I forgot. [EEK][:(O]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I just changed from the in- line filters to a cartridge filter and like it better, also i can take the cartridge out of the filter and wash and dry it out. The inline ones were expensive and would slow the water coming into the unit after a few trips.

3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

What is the life expectancy on one the external filters? I bought one at the beginning of last season. Frankly, I don't notice that it makes any difference and DW still won't drink the water. [LOL]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

The blue external filters that screw to the water hose claim to be good for 1 season.. I have used them for 2 and even 3 seasons due to minimum use..

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If she doesn't drink the water i would say the life expextancy is forever!
    In all seriousness, i thought they were the same as the 5 year inline ones? Maybe when they put camper on it they want you to buy them more often? Mine isnt used much, so im going with 5 years.

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

There's two concerns:

1. The filter media (granular activated charcoal (GAC)) gets clogged with particles and ceases to provide adequate filtration. That's a function of total flow and the total solids in the water. Given PUP water use, unless you have some nasty water coming in, I doubt it is getting clogged too much.

2. Wet storage. During the off season, the media sits in a damp, dark place for many months. So you end up with a damp aerobic environment that is ripe for mildew, molds and some bacteria. Most of these are harmless, and you're not going to grow the bad bugs magically like crypto, E coli, etc. I would suspect and offer that it is the damp storage that is the bigger risk. I assume this is why RV inline filter manufacturers recommend one season then toss the filter media.

Home filters are normally immersed in water all the time and have better flows, so there's not much opportunity for anything to really grow on the filter media and also no oxygen for it to be encouraged.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Not buying #2 , brita water filters would never be alowed to be used. Its a money grab from the manufacturer. Charcoal filters were used in firefighting in years past, they didnt get replaced often. No mold , bactirea or mildew issues.

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I just added an inline filter. It sure improves the Florida water.

9. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

It's pretty bad when a restaurant advertises that it has a filtration system and you don't have to drink the Florida water... haha.... :/