new year travel with rallies

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by ill.plainsman, Nov 21, 2014.

1. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

Hi everyone. I retired in middle of November and we have been waiting for this day for quit some time. we wanted to get out of Dodge right then but DW had therapy to go through. she will be done after Christmas and we are going where it is warm for a little while. we are making this a Rally get away. We have to see a grand child out in California after the 10th of January. then in February we have a rally in South Carolina, and then in March we have another rally in Texas. we have to be home to go to the Indiana rally in April which is right next door to our home in Illinois and our rally in May.
    my question is who and where would you visit, driving from rally to rally. we like history and we don't want to set up for only one night. that is not our style of camping. I do a fair amount of fishing but she won't let me do it every day. where would you go.
    thanks and we will see you on the road; big Red F250 w/matching topper and Flagstaff HW27 w/ks behind.
    we will look like we know where we are going but thats just a ruse. [:D] [A] [;)]

2. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Since your June is free, I highly recommend coming to the Michigan rally! For a history buff, you'll be a short drive from the Henry Ford and Greenfield Village---it doesn't get any better than that. [emoji106]

3. ill.plainsman

We might do that Mama. I think we might have time. It depends on how many birthdays we have to go to. Summers are birthday season around here.

4. ill.plainsman

thanks chocochock, I'm not sure if we can make it or not. I would like to add you guys. it's in our time frame and we do want to meet you folks. we need to see if we can still meet up with our grandson. he lives around SanDeigo someplace. we saw him about 5 years ago and not since. we are in the process of trying to get his mom to bring him out or something. we will have to let you know at the last minute if we can make it.
    i've never camped in California before. so if we get to come it will be fun to camp under a red cliff. I think the campgrounds they said was under a red cliff. any way it will be fun to visit if we can. exciting, we have never camped without power before. I,m ready for it though; 2 12v batteries, 2 lp tanks, and 45 gallons of water if need be.if anything we might pick up a cheap genie. [:D] [PU] [PUT] we will let you know.

5. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

It gives you some locations to shoot for, and you other campers who are expecting you (you know the saying where
    "Strangers become Friends and Friends become Stranger!":).

Trips like these are when KOA's are handy because they are easy to locate, generally meet some min. std. (I know I goin to get blasted for saying this) and give you a location power up if needed, showers.....

The other possibility (if Mom permits) is to take your GS back w you and fly him home. i'm sure it would be a blast for him.

6. Indy

Indy Member

Hmmm. You're looking for other things besides rallies to do for stops in between, right?

On the way from SC to TX, what about Vicksburg MS? http://www.nps.gov/vick/index.htm I haven't been but it is on my to-do list. (I've been to Shiloh in TN, however.)

Also on my to-do list is New Orleans. We've passed through and stopped in the French Quarter for lunch, but that's the extent of it. We would like to stay at Bayou Segnette State Park, take the Ship Island excursion from Gulfport MS to Fort Massachussetts (operated by the National Parks Service). We'd also like to see the historic Mississippi River Road plantations - Oak Alley.

And in northeast Texas, Caddo Lake State Park is supposed to be gorgeous. That's one we plan to hit in late winter or early spring before the mosquitos get too bad.

If you're coming through southwest Arkansas, maybe check out Crater of Diamonds State Park. It's a nice state park and you can dig for diamonds & keep what you find (if you're lucky enough to find something). I have actually been to that one. Loved that they had laundry service in the park - that's something not usually found in our Texas State Parks.

7. ill.plainsman

Indy thanks for the help. Vicksburg Ms is a good idea. I had not thought of that. that is full of history. the idea of discovering the south and the natural way of life with good cooking and normal folk is big draw for us.
    Crater of Diamonds is on our list. if the weather is good enough. it might have to wait till we are headed home in early April. if I'm going to get muddy looking for treasure I have to be able to get muddy and not freeze to death. I spent to many winters getting the foundations set and poured in cold muddy weather that I just have to have warm temps to do it again.
    we were out in Texas up by Amarillo i think it was about 5 years ago. we were driving thru and saw the cadillac ranch and somewhere around there was a big canyon. we drove around in there for a bit. there were campsites but I can't remember the name of it. do you know where I am talking about? we would like to camp there this time through if we could. Palo Duro canyon I think it was. beautiful place. has anyone stayed there during January or late march? worried about the rains in the canyon. isn't that the rainy season out there. don't want to get washed away.
    well so there are some ideas, thanks and keep them coming.we have more time as we only want to spend 2 or 3 , maybe 4 days in one place before moving on. thanks for all the points of majesty to see.

8. ChocoChock01

Here is some of Red Cliffs:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/demeeschter/8093131147/in/photostream/

Since you will be heading to San Diego, you must camp in Joshua Tree:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davetoussaint/8180599115/in/photolist-q3tcki-cRewi7-ohpeCs-7LEfVX-btyAjm-h6r3FQ-dsTH7k-hjyZD3-byUbZV-jp8t2K-4oxuR2-osc7q7-hr9nGD-hi3Tfs-hbcgE1-FzPBC-hwiyey-e4ArJG-qDBGh-e7i36K-4No6jY-ecqvKr-q9YNzX-fDd7QR-buB3nk-ppCsN4-h83hZn-kH548F-oWjMHv-bz8wU6-dYcqya-pQcVQ6-kV1YqZ-nF3HL5-7ZSPHB-dU9jDr-ht34FN-m8gTpK-c9J9Vh-2BXUfn-4cYgLN-9m1xqP-8qCLp4-cMgMvs-fSncnt-645j3e-oP9wdV-bmfHW3-bz8xtr-bmdEV9/

This is what is meant when we describe the desert as being beautiful!!

Take a look at some of the pictures from the 2014 California Winter Rally:

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=79887.0

9. ChocoChock01

for other suggestions for traveling in the South Western region Unstable_Tripod has many documented several of his adventures with the latest being here:

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=81143.180

10. efehser

efehser New Member

IP, HERE is a link to the pics I took last summer at the Ford/Greenfield. Definitely worth the trip.

11. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Sure can tell you love trains, Eric! [LOL]

12. efehser

efehser New Member

Ya think?

13. ChocoChock01

interesting to watch the engineering evolve!

14. Indy

Indy Member

Yes, Palo Duro Canyon is supposed to be great also. It's the second largest canyon in the U.S., second only to the Grand Canyon of course. I haven't made it that far north in Texas yet, but I've been to Caprock Canyon (a little further southwest) and it is very nice also (much smaller). Is January the rainy season? Heck, I don't know. In West Texas, the rainy season is around July-October. I found this link - looks like rain shouldn't be a problem January - March: http://www.climbingweather.com/Texas/Palo-Duro-Canyon-State-Park/averages

Of course, I have to recommend swinging by the Alamo and the San Antonio Riverwalk.

And if you want to head that far south and west in Texas, Big Bend National Park is also excellent. And Davis Mountains State Park, too. And not too far away is Carlsbad Caverns.

As for diamond digging at Crater of Diamonds ... it's hard to know exactly what temps to expect, but we were there in mid-march 2013 and it was PLENTY warm enough out there digging for diamonds. By April it might be down-right HOT. But you can bring a shade canopy or beach umbrella or something with you to make it a bit more bearable if it's too hot. That also puts you not too far from Hot Springs - might as well stop there too! :) I have to say the jugs we filled with water from Hot Springs were the BEST water we ever tasted (once properly chilled of course).

15. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

I would head up from the Indiana Rally up to the Ropkey Armor museum in Crawfordsville, IN. It is an impressive collections of tanks, armored vehicles, boats, helicopters, etc. It is roughly a 30 minute drive.

There is also a rotating jail in Crawfordsville.

http://www.ropkeyarmormuseum.com/

16. ill.plainsman

Thanks Indy, I have been to the Alamo a lonnggg time ago. I think we might keep it for another trip. like next year when we head down there to visit the east coast of Texas. like the Padre Island area. we might do the Big Bend part though. are there safe places to boondocks in the Big Bend area or is it best to use only campgrounds? as far as Dimond mining,I like heat and it won't be the end of the month more at the begining or middle, like when we are headed home.
    Thanks bburgcamper , we have been to Crawfordsville Ind. too. we were out antiquing one weekend and we saw that jail and I have to agree it's cool. we didn't know there was an Armor Military Museum [{:)] there too. we will check it out some time. close enough for us any weekend as we are from the central Illinois {Champaign} area. but while we are at it I want to see how our camper was made so we need to get by the Flagstaff factory. I'm thinking we want to stay in southern Illinois a night or two as well on the way home. I want to visit the Cairo Illinois area and see Metropolis Ill. not sure about tourism in Southern Illinois but we will check it out. there should be some tourism as Mark Twain [RTM] used the area as part of a lot of his books. from Hannibal MO to Cairo Ill. one of my favorite authors.
    We are going to have to find something to do in Oklahoma as well. the east side will take us to Arkansas and the Diamond mine I think. we have a cousin in Dell city east side of Oklahoma city I need to visit with some time during this trip. I really want to see if there is anything in this state besides the worlds longest toll road. [;)]
    So much to see. I hope I live long enough [:D] [LOL] [LOL]

17. ChocoChock01

This thread got my curiosity going so I wanted to check the mileage of circumnavigating the continental US, and started in Bangor ME, Miami FL, San Diego CA, Vancouver CA to Bangor ME about 17,000 miles.

then added Fairbanks, AK from Vancouver CA total went to 22,000 miles!

Now that is a TREK!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/St+John's,+NL,+Canada/Miami,+FL/San+Diego,+CA/Vancouver,+BC,+Canada/Fairbanks,+AK/Bangor,+ME/@38.6540188,-137.8887653,3z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m38!4m37!1m5!1m1!1s0x4b0ca38e6b0aa261:0x9e1fd4001f12261f!2m2!1d-52.7128315!2d47.5605413!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d9b0a20ec8c111:0xff96f271ddad4f65!2m2!1d-80.1917902!2d25.7616798!1m5!1m1!1s0x80d9530fad921e4b:0xd3a21fdfd15df79!2m2!1d-117.1610838!2d32.715738!1m5!1m1!1s0x548673f143a94fb3:0xbb9196ea9b81f38b!2m2!1d-123.1207375!2d49.2827291!1m5!1m1!1s0x5132454f67fd65a9:0xb3d805e009fef73a!2m2!1d-147.7163889!2d64.8377778!1m5!1m1!1s0x4cae4b46101129bd:0x4d0918b0a7af7677!2m2!1d-68.7778138!2d44.8011821!3e0

18. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

Southern Illinois has some beautiful areas. The downside is that the campground are primitive. Garden of the Gods is one of my favorite places. Check out Giant City, Fern Clyffe, Cave In Rock. Head over to Lake of Egypt for some good crappie fishing.

19. Indy

Indy Member

Big Bend is excellent and completely safe. The only thing you have to fear is the Mother Nature herself. You can do dispersed camping (some sites are accessible without 4WD) or camp in one of the campgrounds. Chisos Basin is my favorite campground. No hookups, but it has community water spigot and dishwashing sink, and it has real bathrooms. No showers. The lodge store is nearby with a few possible necessities.

You also have the option of staying at a park concessionaire in Rio Grand Village near the Boquillas Canyon area with hook-ups. The scenery doesn't compare by a longshot, but there are showers and laundry services there. We prefer to stay to Chisos and rough it.

If you bring a passport, you can cross the river into the tiny village of Boquillas Mexico by foot/rowboat. Forget everything you've seen on the news about the dangers of Mexico. This is 1 mile across the border and completely cut off from the rest of Mexico. There is absolutely no danger here. Have lunch, drink a cerveza or a shot of tequila, check out the locals' crafts, and your stay won't be more than a couple hours. All the adults speak English, and the kids are learning now that the border has re-opened. It is quaint and we enjoy the crossing.