New York company that bought all parts when Starcraft went out of business?

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by davekro, Jan 20, 2021.

1. davekro

davekro Active Member

Does anyone know who bought all of Starcraft's parts when they went out of business many years ago? In one of these threads that my many searches cannot find again, someone posted the company name (and maybe phone # ) of a company in New York that purchased all of Starcaft's parts when it went out of business.

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

StarCraft was bought by Jayco a while back, and a couple years ago Jayco was bought by Thor I think. I don't think they ever went out of business.

neighbormike likes this.
  3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Sometime in the early 90s, I don't remember the actual year, Starcraft folded. They were subsequently bought by Jayco and reopened but they were out of business about a year. I wasn't aware of the parts buyout but it would probably be parts for late 80s and early 90s if any are left.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a 2015 starcraft hybrid. As far as I'm aware, they're still selling campers. Are you talking about popups specifically?

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Starcraft is still in business, but I think they are out of the popups, but still make campers. Now about 10-15 years ago StarCraft campers was bought by jaco and they let starcraft do their thing, and within the last 5 years thor bough jaco

I know about 5-7 years ago I called starcraft support for our 2002 popup. they told me the PN I needed and I ordered it from a RV shop that ordered it from starcraft (they would not do direct sales)

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Did some research, they did file for bankruptcy in 1990, and Jayco bought them at auction in 1991. Could not find anything on a NY store buying up all the parts, asked I suspect it would have been party of starcraft's asset sale but the court anyway.

7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Yeah it wouldn't make any sense because Jayco reopened the Starcraft factory keeping the Starcraft name, I would assume the parts would go with the facility.

8. JimmyM

I had to replace a bunk door on my hybrid. On the door sticker it said Jayco/Starcraft. Figured something funny was going on.

tenttrailer likes this.
  9. tenttrailer

What year was your jacostarcraft

10. JimmyM

2015 Starcraft 239TBS hybrid

11. davekro

davekro Active Member

I guess I'll need to search my notes and saved threads more thoroughly for the NY company someone here told me about. I did not realize the Starcraft had gone out of business as far back as 1990. I could easily see that when Starcraft went out of business, physical assets/property, like parts could have been auctioned off to pay for debts owed. Then a year later the name and maybe designs were auctioned off. My local Starcraft dealer's parts dept has told me a few times they can't get part older than ≈ 2013 (or so, I can't remember specifically).

12. tenttrailer

I heard the same thing 6-8 years ago. I think they were lazy. I call starcraft and had them look up my 2002 trailer and give me the part number and if they had it in stock. I then call my local starcraft dealer and ordered the part to be delivered to my house. It was pricey. I'm thinking body parts I would not be able to find. They sold there surplus years ago.

13. Richard Sellers

Richard Sellers Member

I posted the name, address and telephone of the company in Buffalo. Check out "Just refurbished our 1999 Starcraft Stardust....YouTube Presentation" under the "Checkout My Rig" section.