Newb about to tear it up.

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by slopitch@tent, Mar 9, 2019.

1. slopitch@tent

slopitch@tent New Member

Couple things happened last year, bought a 1986 jayco PUP with new canvass and more trinkets inside that I knew what to do with and second thing that happened was my brain went into over drive and I want this to be my own.

Questions, \/

1. icebox - i'm considering taking this out along with cabinets and drop in stove rebuild a counter with a small refrigerator dorm style i suppose. if fitting into the space similar to the icebox dimensions the need to vent will become an issue .. suggestions ? was considering a small round vent out the side.

2. flooring ... its been closed all winter and will soon have access to measure but if anyone has rough (plus/minus) couple square feet in dimensions would love to hear. All the restores around here are having 50% off flooring, even big box stores are parting out some decent deals and I hate over doing it.

3. power - i want to install a radio inside with switchable speakers I/O type will the converter handle the kenwood with an amp or should I just stick to my dewalt shop radio with blue tooth capabilities and download music ?

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

As far as the dorm fridge in place of the icebox (assuming it's not a 3-way fridge) it is a common mod. If you plan to do a lot of camping where you have power, then you'll be fine. I see no need to vent it unless it is very tight in the opening. If you have a couple of inches, that should work IMHO.

The flooring should be 8 X the length of your box in feet. If you have an 8' box, then you have 64 ft^2 (going wall to wall, which you may not need to do). Just keep in mind the walls are on TOP of the existing flooring, that's just the way they build them.

Not sure how much power your amp pulls, but consider this... to have the converter work, you need to have power. If you have power, you're likely in a spot with other campers. With the only thing between your amped speakers and the other campers being a piece of canvas, an amp may prove to be a perfect way to meet the neighbors, rangers, and campground owners. If you want to run the entertainment on the battery, just running on the head unit amp will extend the battery life and should be plenty powerful for campground use. Just something to consider.

3. slopitch@tent

slopitch@tent New Member

I laughed out loud for a min and went back about 30 years thinking how my 1986 mustang used to rattle the heck out of the deck lid with all the power in that .. not going for theatre sound just yet .. thanks on power questions and fridge, I have a honda generator runs nearly silent if I am not able to get to a hook up but yes plan on as much hooking up as possible.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I put a dorm reefer into an old Jayco, pup I bought I installed a vent from Lowes and put a 12v computer fan in the opening to pull the air out, worked really good. You are on the right track in thinking to "make it your own" that way you put your stamp on the unit and will be really comfortable. Good Luck with the project and happy camping

5. slopitch@tent

slopitch@tent New Member

Any diagrams or pics for that set up I have an idea but I'm more of a visual person.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It has been quite a while since I did the swap, but I measured the old reefer and bought one that would fit in the hole then after install I used molding to frame it. I bought the vent from Lowes for about $ 5.00, the fan I think was a 12 v fan
    (might have been 110v ) wafer fans, this pulled any heat out the side, the 110v was was easy as the old reefer was a three way and I tapped the connection for voltage. The reefer got cold pretty fast, especially if I hooked up at home and
    let it run until cold then a few of the blue freeze bags kept it cool until I got to the CG (which was about 50 miles away) I hope this helps.

slopitch@tent likes this.
  7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Loud music will get you booted from many campsites. Modern automotive type radios have enough power to get complaints without adding an amp. As for the converter, unless it's been replaced, probably doesn't have much output. My was newer and didn't have very much and have wide swings in voltage depending on what was turned on.

8. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Given the (quite valid) "What will the neighbors think?" issue, you'd probably be fine with a Bluetooth speaker. For $30-ish, you can get one that goes 8 hours on a charge, can survive getting rained on, and will be more than enough sound inside a pup. I took the automotive radio out of the Starflyer; it was way outdated and the speakers were gone anyway. I'm going to fill the hole with a battery monitor and USB/12V power taps.

Now if you're boondocking, go all-out. :D I like uptempo EDM and can appreciate a good set of woofers…

9. Fluper

Fluper New Member

Just be careful taking the icebox out. The po took the box out prior to selling it to us and they put an air conditioner in. little did they know it was structural and now were rebuilding something in that same spot. The box was located just inside the front door and was the only thing in that spot.