Newbie freaking out...

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by mountaineerFAN1, Aug 8, 2018.

1. mountaineerFAN1

mountaineerFAN1 Member

All the legs are down, chicks set, almost perfectly level on all sides...but I’m freaking out with every one hundredth of an inch sway when someone rolls over or sneezes.

Is this normal????!!!???

Soooooo different from tent life and even way different from being in it in the solid driveway.

2. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Yup. It's normal.

mountaineerFAN1 likes this.
  3. mountaineerFAN1

mountaineerFAN1 Member

Thank you from the bottom of my quivering heart! I’m so out of my element. I only started tent camping last summer, now this popup is cool but man oh man I can’t get comfortable.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Perfectly normal, get used to it, once you do it is like being rocked to sleep :) Just relax and enjoy the camping trip and the R & R (Rest and rejuvenation ) Good Luck and Happy Camping

mountaineerFAN1 and 79venture like this.
  5. mountaineerFAN1

mountaineerFAN1 Member

Oh my goodness, I get seasick on porch swings. Lol! Thanks for reassuring me.

6. mountaineerFAN1

mountaineerFAN1 Member

Oops doubled somehow

7. durhamcamper

Tents don't wiggle, but pups don't ever have water running through in hard rain. ;)
    After a night or so you probably won't notice the movement.

hayyward and mountaineerFAN1 like this.
  8. mountaineerFAN1

mountaineerFAN1 Member

It’s rained all day and storms coming tonight, that’s my next worry. Do I abandon ship if it’s lightning?

9. mountaineerFAN1

mountaineerFAN1 Member

Can you tell I’m way new? lol!

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

You might benefit from 12" X12" plywood (or you can buy them) sand pads to go under the 4 stabilizers to stabilize them from sinking into sand, dirt or gravel. I also have one for the tongue jack too.

mountaineerFAN1 and durhamcamper like this.
  11. mountaineerFAN1

mountaineerFAN1 Member

That’s a great idea. Going on the must have list!

12. durhamcamper

We have camped in many thunder/lightning storms and large volumes of rain. That's what we love about a pup.......no worries and staying dry! You will be fine. :D

13. mountaineerFAN1

mountaineerFAN1 Member

Thanks. I guess it’s a learning curve. And I’m a nervous nellie tonight.

14. davido

davido Active Member

Jack stands.

I don't use them when camping because I'm not bothered by a little movement. But in my driveway I do lower the front of the frame onto jack stands, and it is rock solid that way. Unfortunately jack stands don't provide as much range of adjustment as you may need in campgrounds that are never quite level, so if you do choose to rely on them you'll also need a sheet of plywood and a few 2x8's to go under each one.

Don't lift the wheels off the ground, though. The idea is this: get the trailer level first, then lift it just enough that jack stands will fit under the frame in the front triangle. The frame there should be strong enough to support the trailer's tongue weight. Place the stands on your plywood (and possibly a 2x8 or two), then lower the trailer's tongue until the frame is resting on the jack stands. If you've done your calculations correctly you should also be level at this point.

Next, put a piece of plywood under each of the corner stabilizers, and lower the stabilizers.

Now the trailer should be much less prone to motion than when resting on the tongue jack -- jack stands are a more stable platform than a tongue jack, IME.

15. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

It's the start of football season, so I will quote our quarterback.... "RELAX". A pup is so much better & more comfortable than a tent! Once you are level and setup, snug the stabilizers to the ground, kick back and enjoy!!

16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Don't sweat the small stuff! My daughter was running and jumping all over the newly bought pup, I freaked out. Then realized what's the worse that can happen , it moves a bit. No big deal. As for storms , had mine in the driveway and went to work , big storm rolled in , held up in 60 mph winds just fine. No water inside rather. So.....your all good. And "relax" !

mountaineerFAN1 and neighbormike like this.
  17. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I often find myself in sites with a bad slope that requires a couple lynx blocks under some of the stabs. I now carry two packs of lynx levelers with the caps. I prefer not to have the stabs extended more than halfway so this helps.

gatorbait, jmkay1 and mountaineerFAN1 like this.
  18. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

DW and I rode out a tornado in central Nebraska in 2015. I really thought we were going to get to meet the Munchkins. I wouldn't worry too much about thunder and lightning. Zip up the rain flaps and go back to sleep. [:)C]

mountaineerFAN1 likes this.
  19. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

and don't forget to always drop the stabilizers before entering the camper. Many of us here have learned this the hard way and done the Tilt-a-Pup trick, lol. We've used the stabilizer pads and the BAL leveler and even with these stabilizing devices,anytime anyone rolls over in their bed, you can feel the camper shake. Eventually you just get used to it.

hayyward, jnc and mountaineerFAN1 like this.
  20. mountaineerFAN1

mountaineerFAN1 Member

Survived!!!!