Newbie freaking out...

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by mountaineerFAN1, Aug 8, 2018.

1. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

Welcome to the forum mountaineer. :)

You'll be fine in a storm but remember staking your awning is part of its setup and if a storm is coming in, put the awning away. It's not fun to run out into the storm to secure the awning to the top of the camper after it's blown up and over (- using a length of clothes line with a roll of duct tape tied to the end, hurl it over the top, run to the back side, throw it under back to the front then tie it all down to prevent further damage to the awning). Don't ask me how I know this.

(Then about 5 minutes later a rain-soaked-to-the-bone ranger came through, knocked on the camper and said "Just want to warn you folks that a storm is coming." lol Well, assuming he started at campsite #1, we were in the higher numbers....)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Rik Peery and kitphantom like this.
  2. mountaineerFAN1

mountaineerFAN1 Member

We made it to day 3! Bigger storm last night. We played card games by flashlight. The lightning was fierce but the wind minimal. I jumped a lot but we can check another night off.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Thanks for the laugh! This is great.

I don't like a lot of sway in the camper either. Honestly the biggest thing I've found is to make sure the tire pressure is at max while camped, especially with B range tires. Beware though that tire pressure is a long discussion all by itself!
    So tire pressure up, use a BAL leveler and BAL wheel chock to hold those tires in place, get sand pads for those stabs (flip them UP when towing so they don't drag) and if needed use the blocks so the stabs don't have to fully extend. In general I can get our 12' box pup as solid as a rock.

mountaineerFAN1 and hayyward like this.
  4. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

mountaineerFAN1 and Spridle like this.