Newbie looking for a pop camper under 1,000 lbs

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by smatyki1, Jun 21, 2016.

1. smatyki1

smatyki1 New Member

My 2016 Nissan Rogue will only tow 1,000 lbs. I am looking for a lightweight pop up that sleeps 3 to 4. Is this possible? thanks in advance!

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

You may want to look into the living light quick silver campers. They are considerably more money new, but are on the lighter side. With your tow limitations, you will be cutting it close even with those units and you will be looking into the more bare bones units. I'm thinking an 8' barebones popup may work.

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

1000 pounds is incredibly small towing capacity... even the smallest Quicksilver has a dry weight of 750 ponds and a GVWR of 1200 pounds: https://www.livinlite.com/6.0-overview.php

And for all practical purposes it only sleeps two.

Remember that dry weight will not cover propane tanks or batteries or water or anything else that you might want to take along with you. It's also likely that the 1000 pound rating of your vehicle assumes little are no cargo in the back of your TV, and only one or two passengers.

4. edh

edh Active Member

Might want to look at teardrops instead, that plus a tent for the kids.

5. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Your options are very limited and you will have to do compromises. With that towing capacity I think all you will have left is a very small camper and tents. I doubt you will find anything that will sleep 4 and once it is all loaded it will be under 800 lbs since you should ideally have a 20% reserved tow capacity. Some will just get a vehicle just for towing and since it will be used so little you dont need one with all the whistles and bells none it need to be last year model.

good luck.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Some of the older campers that are basically tents on wheels will probably come under your weight limit. You'll need to watch how much you pack and things like LP tanks.

Our first pup was tiny, under 800#, but only had one bunk end and a 6' box. It got snug for two people, let alone 3 or 4. That was a 1984 Palomino Shetland, which was also made with two bunks. Haybale's "new" 1973 pup is one of the vintage, bare bones, tents on wheels (his has a slide out "kitchen"): http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=101797.msg1034107#msg1034107

One thing to do is to make a list of what you think that you need and want, as well as to assess what the towing capacity means - is that separate from the load the vehicle is carrying, do passengers need to be subtracted from the load capacity, etc.
    Have you camped before? do you have equipment that you can use in addition to a bare bones pup to camp until you have a heftier tow vehicle?

neighbormike likes this.
  7. Wandering Roo

Wandering Roo New Member

I think the quicksilver 8 should work for you as long as you didn't pack too much. It will have a bed on both ends and a dinette that converts to a bed as well.

8. tfischer

1127 pounds dry weight, no way.

9. edh

edh Active Member

If you are ambitious another option might be to build your own "foamie" camper, ie one where the sides and roof are made of 2" closed cell foam; Google it and you'll see a fair amount about them in the world of teardrop campers. Even then you'd need to start with a very light chassis, probably aluminum. The foam is surprisingly sturdy when properly constructed, and if anybody scoffs you can point out how well their canvas will work at keeping the bears out of the larder.

Might be simpler to wait a bit until you can trade up to a TV with more towing capacity. Even 1500lbs will make for many more choices, but aim for at least 3000lbs when the time comes, and if going with an SUV, get the V6 tow package (most times that will be your only choice). If you foresee owning a TT or hybrid, you'll need at least 5-6000 lb capacity.

10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

If it is possible, buy a TV that has capability to tow up to 5000 lbs.. that you can have wider selection of popups for greater popup experience.

11. tfischer

LOL. Even the huge highwall I was checking out on Craigslist today (not seriously looking, my vehicle can barely pull the one I got) was only 3750 GVWR.

But I doubt the OP really wants to buy a new TV since they already have a new vehicle.

12. Miamomof8

Miamomof8 Member

Our '92 Palomino Pinto is 995 lbs. It sleeps six but we cram in seven (2 adults and 5 kids).

13. edh

edh Active Member

The 5000 spec listed was because once you go above a 3000-3500 lb tow rating, the next higher option is usually 5000 or 6000; leastways I don't recall many 4000 lb ratings. And if you want to load a 3500lb camper and then tow at 20% below your max rating as some prefer, you're looking at a 5000lb minimum tow rating.

14. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

Any 5' x 10' utility trailer with a wood floor + 4 screw type stabilizer jacks + Coleman tent(9 x 5) = success [CP]

jifjifjif, xxxapache and Flamingo Guy like this.
  15. Sean Hayes

Sean Hayes New Member

Check to see if your vehicle is a CVT transmission if it is, in no way ever tow with it. CVT transmissions are not clutch and disk driven they are a ball and roller that switches pivot points using the fluid itself to provide grip between them. If you try to over pressure it you will wear it out first tow. If it's a regular transmission adding a trans cooler usually allows another 500lbs of towing.

16. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

It's an old thread from June 21, 2016. Original poster lasted 8 days on the Portal and hasn't been back since.