Newbie Needing Knowledge

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by lynnmarie0123, Jun 23, 2020.

1. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

Hi!
    I just put a deposit down on my first very own pup! Its a 2015 flagstaff Forest River Mac176StLtd and im super stoked.
    In one week i have the walkthru.

if i put pics here could someone with experience please take a look and see if they note any issues? I would be extremely appreciative!

The only Two i saw during the 2 hours i personally inspected it was a small dent in roof and a water stain on larger bunk. Interior side. (The plywood only) The rest looks unused to be honest. Ill add 10 pics here and 10 in next post!

Attached Files:

2. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

So heres a few pics of the flaws i saw. They are water stains on plywood on the larger bunk (front bunk) and a dent in ceiling near the door. (Last 3 pics) Next week during walkthru ill be able to assess the dent once camper is closed.

Nothing else was noted and i even crawled underneath. Thanks for helping me out here.

Attached Files:

3. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

Ill be towing this all alone! Plus 2 doggos. Ive towed a small uhaul trailer once and thats all ever. A little scared. Heres more pics. Again since i havent much of a clue what these systems are or do, any advice appreciated. Theres no a/c but thats cool-less water damage to worry about! Im sacked theres no freezer-even a tiny one-i hate room temperature water lol! The salesman i worked with today didnt know what some of the features were either. Anyways, if anyone notices anything off from these pics id be oblidged! Love, lynnie

Attached Files:

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. If you camp with electric they do make a portable ice maker. Honestly though what I do is use a cooler for my frozen foods and also put frozen bottled water In that. The frozen water will not only help keep your frozen foods cold, but you will also have ice cold water to drink. I only use the fridge for drinks and condiments and perhaps vegetables that I don’t want frozen or too cold.
    Don’t worry too much about towing. Going straight is not much of a big deal just make sure you leave distance to stop and make wider turns. Then take it to an empty parking lot and buy those toy cones kids can use or just use empty boxes and create and practice, practice, practice.
    I’m not sure what camper you have but if you didn’t get a manual go and find one online and start reading. You tube can be a great resource too on setup etc. even if you can’t find your exact unit something close can be enough to give you pointers.

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 and lynnmarie0123 like this.
  5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

One thing I see (other than the kinda scary roof dimple) is in pic #27... the green cable laying slack - this should be attached to the box AND to the roof. It is used as a guide to help you raise the roof to the proper height. As far as camper “systems” or components, ask any questions you may have - someone here will have an answer... maybe even the right answer! [:)C]

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Sjm9911 and lynnmarie0123 like this.
  7. Tara Levine

Tara Levine New Member

lynnmarie0123 likes this.
  8. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

9. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

Thank you great advice all of it. Cones great idea!!! Manual most defo!!!

10. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

11. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

Pop up princess has beeen the most awesome helpful resource for me so far. Esp with all the remodels! Ive got so many screenshotted and saved on my phone its ready to explode! Lol

12. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

13. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

Ok! Rabird I will do!

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

You can buy a dorm sized freezer. We have one in our camper. We also have a counter top ice maker that is great!

15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Only thing i can rhink of is why is the bed plywood stained? And whats on the roof to make that dimple. Probably easy fixes because its a newer pup. I dont see anything that stands out. Some waterproffing for the bunk ends maybe needed. Who knows maybe they left the screen open in the rain.

Orchid likes this.
  16. Orchid

This is my main question.

As far as the bunk stain, someone could have spilled something, or left the canvas unzipped in a rainstorm. Hard to say, but spraying the entire thing down with a hose could easily solve the "is it waterproof" question.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

You need a different salesman. We also need a picture of the top of the roof. There's something up there that should not be there.

lynnmarie0123 and neighbormike like this.
  18. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

Agree. Take pictures of the top of the roof all over especially above that dent we see in the ceiling underneath.

Worst problem on a camper is if the roof leaked or still leaks and became once or has become now saturated with water and is all rotted inside. Then after some time the ceiling will show evidence of the rot inside. Watch out like a hawk for that. Run away if you can see that is the case.

The roof is the biggest thing you are investing in. It better be good. I got a dent and puncture in my roof, but I attended to it before it ever saw rain. See my website photo tutorials for how I fixed it with epoxy glue.

The water stain on the beds could easily come from someone forgetting to zip shut the windows and it rained. It looks like the water came from the sides by the bunk windows. That's not a problem. That's not the roof at fault, just a lazy camper.

The whole camper needs a major bath. The refrigerator is filthy. Must have been on a lot of dusty roads. The canvas is dirty and needs a good cleaning. See my website photo tutorials for how to clean it.

I can't tell from the angle what the axle looks like under the camper but it doesn't look straight. I'd put a straight edge against it to see if its just camera distortion, or if it's bent.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  19. Orchid

I noticed that too, but I'm so un-knowledgeable about stuff like that, made me concerned to mention it. Could be camera angle too.

20. rabird

rabird Howdy!

axles are supposed to be crowned.

lynnmarie0123 and Orchid like this.