Newbie question about utilities at camprounds

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by RollingSnuggery, Oct 19, 2013.

1. RollingSnuggery

RollingSnuggery New Member

We camped at Tims Ford State Park in Winchester, TN earlier this week and I noticed that many sites had the utilities (water and electric) on the wrong side of the pad. I had to use 2 hoses and an extension cord to hook up. This is the first time I've encountered this.

Have any of you seen this at other campgrounds?

2. Michoshisho

Michoshisho Member

Yup! One of the campgrounds near me has some sites where the electric is on one side, and water on the other. I carry extensions for both.

3. ricko

ricko Member

Some of the KY parks we've used have water at one end of the site, electric at the other... One time we needed 25' extensions for each

4. Jeni Ann

Jeni Ann Member

LOL! I went camping w/ my Sis in her new TT this summer (I don't use utilities in my PuP) and we ran into this situation. We had decided that the campground was designed and built by our Dad ... the house we grew up in (Dad built) had the H&C water opposite to everyone else's homes, and the electrical sockets were "up-side down" (the ground on top)... but now I see that isn't necessarily true! Why do campgrounds do this so often? There has to be a good reason (??)

5. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Eishenhower State park in Kansas (Melvern lake) is like that. Didnt have enough hose so I just used my on board tank that week. now I have 2, 25Ft. hoses in the pup.

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The ground lug can face in any direction by code. Some exceptions were described for hospitals but I don't know if it's still true.
    As for you Dad's plumbing, my Dad , who was an electrician, used to say you only need to know three things to be a plumber. 1. Hot water on the left. 2. Cold water on the right. 3. S*** doesn't go uphill.

7. Jeni Ann

Jeni Ann Member

Apparently Dad never heard #1 & #2. He knew #3, because we had a toilet in the basement that was up on a platform. Really. Truly. LOVE my Dad [:D] He took us camping every chance he had [CP] :) :) :) :)

8. RollingSnuggery

Lol. My daughter's boyfriend suggested the campground was built when the Brits were still in charge.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Our house was built in 1979. Somewhere along the line one of the previous owners had the same problem. The standard positions of the hot and cold water fixtures for the washer are reversed in the laundry room.

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Yes, I've run into that. The campground put all the utilities on posts every second site, the were on the left of half the sites, right on the other half.

Worked out ok if you could 90 degree your trailer, I couldn't and had to put my trailer in the middle of the site so my electrical would reach. I had 50' of water hose so that wasn't an issue.

11. timo4352

timo4352 New Member

Really it's four things: 1. hot water on the left. 2. cold water on the right. 3. s//t flows downhill. 4. payday is on Friday. [:D]

12. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

5 things....................#5 - Don't chew your fingernails.

13. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

All utilities have been on Driver side, back in and hook up [8D]

14. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

At Hocking Hills in Ohio, some of the fire pits were on the BACK side of the pad! Too weird! [?:~{]

15. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

we stayed at a campground in Bedford I believe that had electric on every other site. when I asked about it they told me that section of the campground was really old and never updated. I told them I was probally not returning since I felt it was a tripping hazard to run extention cords through the campsite I didn't expect free camping however a small refund of some sort for the inconveince would have been nice

16. RollingSnuggery

Thanks for the responses. Another reason to always be prepared.