Newbie question; PUP in Tent Site?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by SPopupFamily, Apr 27, 2014.

1. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

I am in reservation booking mode for this summer. We found several campgrounds we want to stay at but the only thing reservable is a tent site. Can we book a tent site and use our PUP or do campgrounds consider that an RV?

Thanks for the help!

[HY] [PUT]

2. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

It is always better to check with the campground. The problem is the tent site may be on a pad that you can't get your pup onto. The site's parking area may not accommodate your TV and your Pup.

3. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

So our PUP is 26ft 10" fully opened (27 ft) and our F150 is about 20ft, so we need 47 feet or longer. Yikes! That's a big site. :) Thank you for the help!

4. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Yes we do (we have about the same configuration). Sometimes there will be side by side parking for two cars in the site and you will fit, but one bunk will be very close to the road. Sometimes you can kind of angle park the F-150 across the front of the campsite. Which is why it really helps to call ahead and ask. At least they have tent sites which means they are soft sided friendly. We've been turned away from some commercial sites that do not allow any "slumming" (their words [}:)])

5. SPopupFamily

SPopupFamily New Member

Slumming?!?! Ridiculous. I'm a disabled Veteran and get free camping in the state of Oregon (LOVE YOU OREGON). So ware are avoiding those commercial campgrounds as much as possible. :)

6. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Yeah, I decided they were not worth my energy to tell off.

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

I agree on calling ahead first. I've seen tent sites where there is no way you can get a TV close let alone put a trailer in there. I've also seen tent sites that the only difference from the trailer sites was lack of water/power/sewer.

8. pckeen

pckeen New Member

We've often camped at sites aimed primarily at tents, and have not had a complaint, but we are cautious when booking a place we haven't been before. Usually, when we go to a new campground, we'll drive it to see what sites would actually fit us. PuPs can often go places where a hybrid or travel trailer cannot, simply because the Pop Outs don't have to be over flat ground. But if you are going to do this...book at your own risk.

9. bfahs

bfahs Member

Google maps and google street view occasionally you can tell how big the sites are. Reservation america sometimes has specific pics of sites too.

10. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Exactly!!

Most times if we camp where we know we'll come back to that cg.....we'll go for a walk and kids will ride their bikes, and we'll take a map with us.....we'll circle the tent sites that would be able to accommodate our pup and tv.
    Also, if you call ahead, most provincial parks here are pretty good and they will tell you honestly whether or not you could fit a pup on that site.

Last year when we went to Silent Lake, we booked a double-site for my family and my sister's family. It said in the details that you could fit a pup/RV up to 18' and on the second site, 2 tents.
    Well, we got our pup (25' open) on the first site, and my sister got her pup (18' open) on the second site. The second site was up a slight hill; my van would never have made it or backed up the pup. But my bil's truck backed up their pup just fine.

Melissa