Newbie Questions ..

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by icepounder, Sep 7, 2014.

1. icepounder

icepounder New Member

I've been working on my "new" used camper for about a month now. It's a bit of a "fixer upper". They had thought the roof was leaking but I found it was the A/C unit was loose. The gasket looked fine so I snugged it down. I scrubbed the exterior tent material and I'll have to scrub the inside next.
    I'm working on the roof now. I've washed it down with a mixture of car wash soap and simple green. It removed a lot of the dirt. I'm finding dried sap over much of the roof. I tried all the easier methods listed but no luck. I think I will now try the rubbing alcohol spot by spot.
    My first question is how to clean under the A/C unit ? There is only about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch opening all around. Should I remove it or is there an easier method ?
    My second question is regarding the full door. All the twist nobs that hold the door in place are riveted in and many are loose or the metal fatigued. Has anyone found a way to re secure them ? I did a search for both questions but found little or no info.

Thanks in advance. [:D]

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would replace the A/C seal. They are foam and need a little cushion to them. Replace it now, cheap insurance, clean and wax the roof.

Drill the rivets out and install dry wall plastic screw inserts ( you will need to shorten them) and replace rivets with screws.

3. icepounder

icepounder New Member

Thank you Raycfe. I guess I'll remove the a/c.
    After doing yard work today I gave the mineral spirits a quick try on the sap. After holding the corner of the rag (with ms) on a spot for 30-40 seconds or so I tried circular motions. It started to lift, not completely, but it started to remove I'd say 50 % or so. It looks promising.
    I really think the previous owner waxed over the dirty roof. They were saying how important it is to wax the roof. But a lot of this dirt is really on there. I originally just washed it with soap and simple green but it only removed a so much. I tried using a soft brush with simple green, car soap and water. I worked one small section and it's white again with no dirt in the texture. Between getting the sap off and the rest of the dirt I can see an entire Saturday. [:(]

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

You've got that right! It's an all day project!