NEWBIE TO EXTERIOR PAINTING-NEEDS GUIDANCE

tgau16

Mar 2, 2016
RSM CA
Hello,
There's a lot of information out there for me to look at and I have used much of it. However I'm nervous to start the next step and I just want someones opinion/advice on how to proceed.

1981 Starcraft Venture.
I'm starting with the back panel because it's the easiest to get to in the garage. It's textured. I've taken all the decals off. And the gross silicone sealant. In the areas that I've taken off the decals, I am down to the bare metal. The rest of it is paint. Next step:

Sand? I read that I shouldn't sand textured areas.

Clean it? With what? Soap and water, all purpose cleaner, thinner, etc.?

Primer? Rustoleum? Auto? Oil? I wouls prefer easiest and least messy.

Paintable sealant after priming, before painting correct?

Paint? White. Biggest worry, many options.

Thanks in advance.

Mary E14AA919-8B40-4936-A376-833DD893C58D.jpeg

Attachments

• DEBD4DA1-6E83-46DF-946F-794F0BDE673B.jpeg
    DEBD4DA1-6E83-46DF-946F-794F0BDE673B.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 11

megcabra

Super Active Member
Aug 12, 2015
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
I’ll comment on the painting part and defer any resealing to some other members.

I think a light sanding would not hurt. Then wipe down with alcohol and tape all up. I’d also recommend using plastic drop cloths to keep the overspray from getting all over. Then get Rustoleum semi gloss white enamel and give it a couple of coats. It is a slow drying paint but will cover nicely. The semi gloss will also hide imperfections in the aluminum skin.

Best of luck with the project!

248B0776-A146-4B3F-9F67-A8241EBCB643.jpeg

tgau16

Mar 2, 2016
RSM CA
Thanks for getting back to me! Now that I've looked through as many threads as I can, your idea seems to fall in line with most of the previous painters.

Take care,
M

Ladiesman

Super Active Member
Feb 6, 2018
I would not rattle can it myself. To hard to get a good consistant coat and with that large of an area. I sprayed mine with automotive paint but i know not everyone has the experiance or equipment. I have seen some really good results using foam roller and Rustoleum oil based paint. My neighbor did his motor home that way and it came out great. I would just hit the thin spots with a little primer and roll it.

RollTideRick

May 31, 2017
I would use a scotchbrite scuff pad to sand the rough panel . It will be able to somewhat sand in the recessed areas, then bare metal etch primer for all of the bare spots. This will allow your new finish to adhere well and not peel/delaminate. Good luck!