Newbie Water Pump Replacement Niagra 1996

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by hsuehwhite, May 12, 2010.

1. hsuehwhite

hsuehwhite New Member

We're tired of paying $120/hour to have repairs done on our 1996 Coleman Niagra. We just can't afford it. So we have new summer plans, along with camping in our PUP, we're going to start doing our own repairs. The water pump is making clicking noises and not pumping water. We paid the RV repair shop $60 to tell us this. Any suggestions on the kind of pump needed to replace the old? Or sugguestions on how to test it? We just picked it up and will not be able to start work until tonight. Thanks!

2. tsc

tsc Member

Before you go out and buy a new water pump, there is an inline strainer next to it (should look something like this). Unscrew it and make sure it's clean. While you have it out. Turn on the pump and put your finger on the inlet end. See if it will suck your finger in. If it does, you pump is good. If it doesn't it could be bad. The diaphragm is rubber, so with age it could be dried out and cracked.

You have a couple of options for the pump. Replacing or repairing. For the 4 dealers I called and talked to a tech, 3 said to replace and not repair. The techs said that once the head is removed, it is prone to leak. Replace is more costly, but you get a warranty and your chances of leaking is less.

I replaced my factory pump this year. I thought I had a leak in it. It wasn't; one of the screws was 1/16th of a turn loose and was dripping water. I replaced it anyway with a Shurflo Whisper King. From what little I've used it; it is a lot more quiet then the factory Shurflo that came with the pup.

To replace the pump, there are two wires that need to be spiced together (butt connected or soldered), two water hoses that screw on like a garden hose and 4 screws that mount the unit. I managed to get the old one out and new one in, (under my dinette) with my 5 year old helping in less the 45 minutes.

3. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

A just replaced the pump in my TT with a Shurflo Classic 2.8 gpm pump. I have 2 sinks, shower and toilet in the TT and it handles the demands just fine. You can hear it run when using the water, but to me that wasn't a big deal as it is not overly loud. I think it took me all of 20 minutes to get the old one out and the new one in.

I just went with Shurflo since that was what was in there.

4. hsuehwhite

hsuehwhite New Member

OK, Another question. According to the overpriced repair guy, the diaphragm is cracked on the water pump. The Coleman manual and our RV Repair Book suggests that the diaphragm can be replaced. Good or bad idea? I guess there's a higher chance of leaking. Again, we are in complete virgin territory here ... I think it would be easier to replace the whole pump?

5. Twisty

Twisty New Member

If the noise from the pump doesn't bother you, try rebuilding it.
    I put in a Whisper King. It is quieter but it is not silent by any means and it was about $80 if I recall correctly... The repair kit should be a lot less than that.

6. tsc

tsc Member

Repairing the pump (replacing the diaphram) should run you about $20-35. Here is a random google link I got.

Here is the installation instructions, at the bottom of the page, there is a blow up of the replaceable parts.

Here is the Shurflo part #'s with diagrams.

Depending on how and where you camp; is what I would consider my best option. If I was dependent on the pump. I would replace the whole unit. Imagine being 4 days into a 10 day camping trip in the middle of nowhere and the pump leaks. Now you have to gain access to the pump just to clean up the standing water. If it grenades (ie really booms), now your waterless and have to find other methods of getting water. If your doing a full hook up or have water taps everywhere it's not so bad. You can bypass the pump with the city water or use jug water to get you through.

One point to remember. I learned this the hard way (and it's not in the manual). The city water outlet has a small rubber "O" ring. If you hook up the city water and there is pressure in your water system (back pressure). It may (read--will) dislodge your "O" ring and cause the city water outlet to leak when on pump. To prevent this; Turn off the pump, open both the hot and cold water taps to drain some water and to take the pressure off the system. It will flow a little, but won't drain your tank (since the pump is off). Shut off both taps then hook up the city water.

7. Woodzeke

Woodzeke New Member

I am a newbie to popups. Recently the Shurflow pump on my used 07 Starcraft started leaking even when the unit was not pumping and connected to city water. I could have rebuilt my pump including a check valve for about 49 bucks, or buy a new one for 61 bucks off of Amazon including shipping. This was an exact replacement. So if you replace the diaphram and consider your time doing the repair then later in the camping season, the 14 year old motor quits, or the pressure switch fails, you are at square one again. You may need to replace the whole pump. I figure it would be cheaper to replace the whole pump and not worry about it. But if you pay retail for a water pump, rebuilding would be an economical option. Testing the pump should be quite easy. Bypass the intake hose with a short length of hose and stick it in a bucket of water and apply 12 volt to the pump. With faucet turned on, the motor should run smooth and pump water to the sink. If it does work, maybe the line from the tank is stopped up, has a hole in it, or has came loose from the tank. After putting the new pump in I looked further inside the old pump and found the diaphram was leaking and rusted the pressure switch. It is a very simple job to do.

8. hsuehwhite

hsuehwhite New Member

We've decided to replace the pump for all the reasons everyone has mentioned. We're hoping it will be simple enough. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you very much!! :)

9. Hardee5

Hardee5 New Member

If you're pulling out the pump anyway, you might want to install a pump silencing kit to eliminate noise from the knocking PEX lines.
    [​IMG]
    (Or do what I did and buy the parts at the hardware store) [;)]

10. hsuehwhite

hsuehwhite New Member

We did IT!! We replaced the old pump with a new Shurflo Classic and a new filter. However we learned a lesson. We drove 30 minutes to Camping World to pick up the pump, plus some other items. We got home and were very excited to get started. We easily removed the old pump, grabbed the box with the new pump, popped it open and it was obvious that it had been used. It was dirty and was missing instructions. (I guess you MUST have a computer to download instructions cause they don't print them anymore!) Anyway, we called Camping World, drove 30 minutes back (note 2 hours for both trips), they gave us a little discount for our trouble and we installed the new pump. Took maybe 20 minutes! Lesson: Open packaging before you buy! Thank you everyone!! We are that much closer to boondocking! And of course, we're very proud of ourselves!! :)

11. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

Good for you and thanks for sharing the lesson learned too!