Newbie water question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by Rfa4, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Rfa4

Rfa4 New Member

My wife and I bought a 94 Palomino Colt PUP about a month ago. We have been on two trips so far. Loved it just got back from a week long trip in the NC mountains. We live right outside of Raleigh NC. We are having an issue with our water system. We can't get the water to the pump faucet from the internal water tank. In a bit of a pickle now because I also can't get the water tank to drain and the tank is full. I found the drain but nothing happens when I turn the drain in the PUP. The pump faucet is only pumping air out of it but no water. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Will post pictures of everything.

2. Rfa4

Rfa4 New Member

1592953225234247944321023201601.jpg 1592953225234247944321023201601.jpg 15929533166846019131820074199974.jpg 15929533579282159128722069641078.jpg 15929534181685659657417309377596.jpg

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

First off .......
    Welcome.png
    Now for the meat and potatoes ............ Does your camper have a hand pump or electric water pump and if so has it ever worked?

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Looks like the valve is in the closed position in picture #3, is that tour drain line? And you have a nice kink coming off of whatever that grey cartrage is.

5. Rfa4

Rfa4 New Member

Appreciate it!
    Sorry I wasn't very clear. It is a hand pump. The previous owner claims it worked but I am not 100% sure if it ever did or not.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

OK hand pump. Low boy. the seals in the pump will dry out so this is what "I" would do. Hook up the city water and see if it will flow thru the faucet. IIRC you have to push the lever down. This may "wet" the seals .... now try the hand pump. If still nothing I would remove the pump and take it apart carefully.... Move the seals ...make sure they are not stuck and free. Reassemble and try the pump in a small bucket of water before reinstalling it.
    As for the tank drain sure the no cap under the floor and work the valve to different positions there maybe a sweet spot. Good Luck.

Rfa4 likes this.
  7. Rfa4

Rfa4 New Member

Oh yes I do see that lin in the picture.
    Picture number 3 is the drain yes! I have turned it both ways but nothing. Could it be that silver thing around the drain line that is preventing something? Good catch on that Kink!

8. Rfa4

Rfa4 New Member

Tried the city water hookup and nothing. Will take the faucet apart sometime in the next week or so. Will let y'all know the outcome.

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Low boy pump/faucets where never the best thing even new. For the same money just about you can add an electric on demand pump and a metal household faucet (using the cold side for pump water and the hot side for city water)

10. Rfa4

Rfa4 New Member

So I took the pump facuet out of the pup and pumped it in the some water in the house and the pump faucet worked. I am assuming there is something going on with the lines running to the faucet?

11. Rfa4

Rfa4 New Member

Here are the lines running into the faucet. Does this look like a normal setup?

12. Rfa4

Rfa4 New Member

Here is a picture

Attached Files:

13. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Well-Known Member

The kink in the smaller line doesn't look good.

14. CampingFamily1

I'd replace all the clear lines. They look contaminated with bacteria.
    At minumum I'd put a bleach / water solution in them and let it set for several hours to try to clean them out.

I'd also recommend to get rid of the manual pump and replace it with an electric pump.

15. Rfa4

Rfa4 New Member

Yeah i thought that as well. I took that whole part off and bypassed the Kink and that grey part and just hooked up the line straight into the sink and it still just pumped out air. With both ways the faucet was pumping air.

My only concern with adding an electric pump is where i will get power for the pump? I don't have an external battery on the PUP.

16. CampingFamily1

You have to decide if its' worth it

Shopping list for electrical

Angle iron to mount a battery $10 Home improvement store
    12V Group 24 Marine battery $80 Walmart, Costco, Sams,
    plastic battery box with a strap $15 Walmart
    Battery Charger $25-50 Walmart

Drill some holes in the A-frame and through the battery box. Add some strong wide headed pop rivots to hold the battery box to the A frame.

Small fuse box $20 Amazon, with a safety fuse for your pump, so you don't burn it out, and protect against fire.
    Shureflow pump for around $80 Amazon
    new clear hoses, any RV dealer with a decent parts department $20
    Wire $10
    Faucet $20

Install all of the above

Here is a post where someone did this.

Here is a photo of our battery box mount at this link

Rfa4 likes this.
  17. Rfa4

Rfa4 New Member

So I took the whole water tank out. I fixed the drain.

I can't seem to get the water pumping through the line to sink. The sink will pump water when it's sitting in water by itself. Is there some type of back pressure I am missing or could it be the pump is just worn out?

18. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Two things. replace the hose from the tank to the faucet ..... it maybe sucking air.... Second try it without that grey plastic connector in the middle of the hose.

19. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

Someone above said to replace all of those lines. I agree! When I bought my used 2003 pup it also had a hand pump similar to the one you have. I wanted an on-demand electric pump instead and new faucets. Installation was easy, but when I was connecting the plastic water lines I notice that they looked a lot like the ones you have. I found out that they were full of debris and black sh$t. I then replaced all of the lines. Your tank may also be full of the same stuff. It might not be a bad idea to pull that tank and clean it out thoroughly. It did look a little darker nearer the bottom. If the fittings come loose they can be plastic spin welded back in place so they won't leak. I think your whole water systems needs an overhaul. This is not uncommon for an older trailer that wasn't used very much and was not properly maintained.

If you wanted to add a battery and an electric water pump there are plenty of posts here to help you through the process. In my opinion an electric pump is the only way to go. I converted mine two weeks after I got the pup. Even though my water system is new, I still don't drink the water coming out of that tank. I drink and cook with bottled water I have in two 5 gallon containers.

From the photo you provided it looks like your galley is just like mine. The sink is even the same. If your waste water drains very slowly out of the sink, let me know. I have a great fix for that too.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Rfa4 likes this.
  20. Rfa4

Rfa4 New Member

I will try that!