Newbie with ceiling and canvas question

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Happycamper8, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Happycamper8

Happycamper8 New Member

Hi All,

I just purchased a Palomino Filly pop up from a relative. It was well taken care of and stored under a structure as well as being covered, but had not been opened for 5 or 6 years. Upon opening it, I found a large amt of mold and mildew on the canvas (foam beds and cushions as well) and inside ceiling. Some of the strips (rubber seals and metal support) and screws are also coming off of the ceiling. I am wondering if it might need a ceiling replacement. It does not seem to be leaking after the rain we had today though there is a small leak through the roof vent.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good and reasonable repair shop or person in southeast MA? Any ideas on what I can do to clean it up/fix it. I have tried cleaning the canvas with white vinegar with some success.

Thanks in advance for any information. I look forward to getting this fixed up for use [:D]

2. banks412

banks412 New Member

Hi there and welcome! I have a little experience with the problems you're experiencing and can make a few recommendations. First and foremost, much of this work you can actually do yourself! Save some time and money and you'll learn a few things about your PuP as well.

1. Cleaners for canvas - white vinegar diluted with some water works great, maybe even a tablespoon of bleach. Another commercial product that's AMAZING is called 303 Cleaner. There's a cleaner and then a protectant that goes on after the cleaner. The cleaner can even be diluted a little to make it last longer. I took the canvas panels off my PuP and cleaned them that way - much easier for me to get the initial cleaning done. As for the cushions, you can take the foam rubber out of the cushions and replace it, or you could rent a steam cleaner and clean them that way too.

2. When you mentioned the ceiling repairs, are these issues INSIDE or OUTSIDE the PuP? For seam sealing on the outside of the PuP, you'll want to take a look at Eternabond seam sealer - IMHO, it's incredible stuff and super easy to work with once you get the hang of it. I used it on mine after sanding and repainting the roof to seal the main seam and I'm very confident in it's ability to keep water out.

One last thing - it sounds to me like your PuP could stand to just be opened and 'aired out' for a while. Anything that sits closed like this for 5-6 years is bound to accumulate some mold and mildew, but with a little TLC and some regular attention you'll have a great camper!!

Good luck!
    -Tim

3. George Rose

George Rose Member

DO NOT USE BLEACH!!!!! [{:)]
    I have read read several threads on here about cleaning mildew. Seems that most everyone agrees that the mildew cleaner offered by Bass Pro Shops is the best. After a good cleaning and drying, you will need to waterproof everything again. The 303 mentioned in an earlier reply seems to be a favorite as well.
    The big question is how much damage is there? With a little time (ok a lot) and guidance from the folks on this forum you should be able to completely rebuild a pup in your driveway.

4. banks412

banks412 New Member

Wondering why you suggest against bleach, George? I used just little bit when cleaning mine (about a tablespoon in a gallon of water with a few cups of white vinegar) and it worked fairly well. Does it harm the canvas somehow? Just wondering - I've found it more helpful for us newbies to understand WHY something isn't recommended when you explain why...

5. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Member

Time and time again I see people strongly warn against using bleach. Frankly if the mildew is as bad as you say, I'd want to make sure it was COMPLETELY gone. When we picked up our Shenandoah it was disgusting inside. I picked up some "30 Second Cleaner" from Home Depot and mixed with water (equal parts) into a spray bottle. Remove the tenting and spread it out in your driveway. Spray it on and literally, 30 seconds later, the mildew is gone. Immediately spray off with a hose and if you feel so inclined, scrub with a brush to make sure to get anything else out of the tenting fibers. Spray the heck out of it, let it dry out, and re-install on the trailer.

We did this a few years ago, again with canvas that was thoroughly disgusting. My wife plead with me to just replace it, but I was confident it could be cleaned. She literally could not believe the night/day difference afterward. I used some waterproofing spray on it afterward and it never had a single problem. NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM. Here are the pics in the original thread with the proof: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=58080.msg483851#msg483851

Yes, the bleach in the cleaner can have adverse effects on the waterproofing in the canvas. I dare say it's already compromised right now anyway, so you'll have to re-waterproof it before you go out again as-is. You have nothing to lose, and EVERYTHING to gain.

Naysayers aside, 30 Second Cleaner was a God-send for us. I stand by it completely.

6. banks412

banks412 New Member

Thanks SirLancelot - I appreciate the explanation. I just found it a little frustrating to get a suggestion so strongly against something without so much as an explanation as to why. That makes perfect sense. I'm assuming the bleach, in whatever concentration, somehow breaks down whatever 'waterproofing' is in the canvas. But you're right - if the canvas is in that bad of a condition to start, it'll need re-waterproofing anyway. So, I guess I wonder if it would hurt at all then? Probably best to just avoid it. Now I know why. Appreciate that....

7. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Member

That's exactly it (waterproofing issues). If it's that filthy though what is there to lose, other than mildew? I see threads frequently about how someone got rid of their mildew madness with hours worth of hard scrubbing and expensive cleaners. Frankly, if it requires that much scrubbing, how much harm do you figure those hard brush bristles are doing to the fabric? I dare say they're doing MORE damage - AND you'll still want/need to re-waterproof when you're done anyway... 30 Second Cleaner is awesome - and we've weathered some incredible rainstorms after using it both while camping and with it set up in the driveway.

8. Happycamper8

Happycamper8 New Member

Thank you for the replies and information. I have used a solution of vinegar and water and then straight vinegar- it has removed the smell but not the stains. I spoke with the dealer and their recommendation is IOSSO. I ordered some to try and am hoping that it works as well as advertised. If not, I am thinking of trying the 303.

I would LOVE to repair the roof myself but do not have the tools, know-how, or manpower to attempt it. I plan on bringing it to a dealer and seeing what they say. It is not leaking at all (thankfully) and is solid except for the front 1/3 where it seems a layer of the particle board has rotted/come loose. I am hoping that they can repair it and not have to replace the entire roof.

Good to know about the seam sealer. If I do need to re-waterproof (so far no leaks and the dealer said that it wouldn't be needed except for possibly the flaps after using the IOSSO), what would you recommend?

Thank you :)