Newbie with questions, canvas and leveling

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by jlmlhc, Jul 19, 2012.

1. jlmlhc

jlmlhc New Member

Hi,
    Just bought our first PUP - 2001 FLagstaff - and have a couple questions.
    1. the unit was in a hail storm so the roof has little dimples but no punctures but the canvas had about 8 small areas that were "fixed" - looks like they put silicone caulk on the holes and that seemed to work for all but 1 hole (we found this out after getting it home and setting up before a storm) he did run the hose on it before we bought it with no leaking but it did leak after a big storm here. What would be the easiest, cheapest and most effective way of fixing these?

2. Leveling side to side - can we use scissor jacks to level side -to side - they seem alot cheaper than the BAL ones and easier than the wood boards.

3. The previous owners did not have a key to the door - is it something I should worry about? We don't plan to keep anything expensive in there.

4. I've heard something about packing the bearings in the wheels - how often should this be done and any idea of the cost to have it done?

Thanks

2. gec66

gec66 Active Member

1. I have had good luck with vinyl pool patch kits on the vinyl areas, and iron on fabric patches for the canvas areas.

2. Never level the unit with a jack on the frame, always at the tires. That is why a BAL works. I use scrap 2 x 4's under the low side tire if needed, but there are Lynx levelers as well as other options. Once the pup is level you can then deploy the stabilizers, but only just to make solid contact with the ground, not to lift the pup. You risk bending the frame by trying to jack at the corners to level.

3. I have always considered the lock on a pup door as useful as a screen door on a submarine, but DW feels better if it is locked. The fact that I can open the canvas near the door and reach in to unlock does not deter her in that feeling. Some use it to keep little ones in at night. If you can disassemble the lock and retrieve the key number a dealer may be able to get you a new key.

4. Wheel bearings should be repacked about every 10,000 miles or every other year in my opinion. Others here may have a different opinion. Many choose to DYI it and there are threads here as well as YouTube videos, or shop should charge you between $100-200.

Welcome and good luck!

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

^^^^^ what he said ^^^^^^^^ and [:D] Welcome from Connecticut, happy and safe camping, enjoy have fun. [CP]

4. jlmlhc

jlmlhc New Member

I know this is stupid = but how do you iron on patches on a pop-up? DO you have to take the canvas off? I've seen a product called Tear-aid - has anyone tried it?

5. gec66

gec66 Active Member

Never tried the tear aid. I use a small piece of plywood on the back side of the area I am applying the patch to. In certain areas you may need an extra hand.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the canvas having tiny hole or the roof ??? If it is the canvas and they are real tiny holes then a vinyl repair patch kit should work (assumming your canvas is vinyl and not canvas..lol) you may even want to call some local upholstery shops and ask what they recommend ...

Think you find these to be a pain in the @$$, as you have to place them way in under the actual frame of the trailer (look at the rails where the axles mount, those are the actual frame rails) the frame (sub-frane) you see out near the edge of the trailer is just that a subframe that the walls, bumper all mounts to, if you jack it off thses rails you'll twist the subframe and have other problems.. Either by a BAL, Lynx Levelers or use the wood (not that difficult to do with practice)..

No Key = no problem... in the rv industry there are probably only 5 different keys used for doors and hatches.. I'll guaranty that someone else in any giving campground has a key that fits your doors ..

You should inspect and repack the bearings at least once per year, generally at the beginning of the season... it is also the time to inspect and adjust the brakes (if your trailer has them) ...

7. Yukon Jake

Yukon Jake New Member

I have, last month (after a particularly egregious SPUT). They work ok, but I found that I needed to take the tent segment off anyway to apply the pressure necessary for the patch to adhere.

Please note that there are two types, A and B. A is for most fabrics (including Sunbrella) and B is for vinyl. My hole was on the lower canvas, which is vinyl backed; I sued type A on the outside AND type B on the inside.

My $.02, the type B (vinyl) worked much better. The tent fabric, being mostly just stuffed into the trailer is failry wrinkled, lots of hills and valleys. No matter how much I rubbed it (add this to the list of things that sound dirty, but aren't), the type A (fabric) wouldn't stick completely in the "valleys". It probably would have been OK, but I wanted more adhesion. I called the Sunbrella folks and the Tear-Aid folks. Sunbrellas is ironable and Tear-Aid is ironable on the low setting. With a rag between the iron and the canvas/patch, I did use the iron on low, moving the iron constantly in a circular motion but with moderate downward pressure through a count of "30-one thousand". After that step, the type A was completely adhered.

8. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

When I get my answer, I'll post it.

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Since the axle is bolted to the main frame, I seriously doubt you'd ever bend a main frame member by placing a jack under it. I do it all the time.

If you don't collapse it completely for storage, a scissor jack takes all of two minutes to deploy. When leveling from side to side, I put one under the frame right behind the "low side" axle.

It only cost me $19.99 for two scissor jacks and I think using one is every bit as quick as a BAL.

[2C]

10. BigBaron

That's what I was thinking. I was even thinking of bolting two in-place at the factory lift points.
    I already got a partial answer from Viking, but asked for clarification. Viking's customer service is fantastic!

11. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Viking & Coachmen = Forrest River RV.

Yep, they're great to deal with!

12. BigBaron

13. ripopuptwins

ripopuptwins It's All Good

Hello and welcome from lil Rhody!
    I'll keep it short and sweet.
    #1: Tear aid. LOVE IT! (fowllow the directions)
    #2: 3 pieces of decking: 18" long,12" and 6" (put a 45 degree bevel on one end of each): stack as needed.
    #3: EBAY
    #4:Yearly Maintenance (not difficult but messy)

Hope this helps.

I'm out.

PEACE!