Newbies on our 2001 Coleman Westlake

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Canopr3600, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Canopr3600

Canopr3600 New Member

Hello, military family station in north FL, we just got our first camper a 2001 Coleman Westlake pop up. It es deal from one our friends that was PCSing and he said give me 1,400 and take it, it needs TLC.Now he told us that they have use it in a while and that he dint have the tool to crank it up, well I bought one online and today I try to crank it up but only open like 2 feet then it got stuck there, check the cables and they were tight. Check below and cables were normal
    Just tight. We are new on this so we don't know what could be any help we
    Could get or tips. Thanks

2. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

I suggest you drop it back down and check the wiffletree. That's contained in the large box underneath the camper that the cranks connects to. Remove the screws holding the cover on and make sure nothing has a built a nest or or nothing is obstructing the turning of the screw. Remember not to turn the crank while the cover is off. Also check the pulleys at the bottom of the lift posts and make sure the cable hasn't slipped off one of them.

Alan likes this.
  3. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Before you take the whiffletree cover off, as you lower the roof back down put some small blocks (2x4?) between the roof and the top of the wall. Then take another turn or two on the crank (as if lowering the roof) to take the tension off the cables - they will become loose under the trailer. Then you can take the whiffletree cover plate off. The plate is part of the structural system of the lift system. As mstrbill said, never crank the lift system with the cover plate off.

Here are a couple of great online videos to help you understand how it all works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkS9BWx-R0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=artzZ5yI36

You can also find other information on this portal by going to the "The Camper - In the garage" section and looking under "Lift System".

Feel free to post photo and ask additional questions.

Wanderlust67 likes this.
  4. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

I used to pull the beds out a little and lower the roof into the beds to release the tension on the cables and wiffletree system. Works great.

Sent from my LGG4.

5. Canopr3600

Canopr3600 New Member

I'm in VA right now so I'm not working on the Pop up yet. But after checking and doing some research I saw that while crank assembly that is in the back to do it manually is missing, don't know why. Could that be the problem I saw to order a new one is 350.00 now when I try to open the pop up the first time I also notice that when it reach to 24 inches open got stuck and did not want to continue. I saw that the waffle tree was moving or rotating when I was trying to continue to open. Is that normal?

6. Canopr3600

Canopr3600 New Member

I got back and find out that the wiffle tree cover plate is missing, that cranks assembly is missing.

7. Boatnman

Do you have a small storage compartment under the door/step to the PUP? You can't see it with the door/step down. You need the whiffletree cover plate in order for the lift system to operate properly.

8. Wanderlust67

Wanderlust67 Member

Hi, I have a 98 Coleman Rio. I crawled under yesterday and discovered I don't have a wiffle tree cover and I have a very slack cable. The roof raises evenly but is very difficult to crank up. Does this sound like something that could be fixed with a wiffle tree cover and a good cleaning and lube of wiffle tree parts? I've also found information on adjusting height by using eye screw bolts. Any advice you can offer?

9. Boatnman

Hi Wanderlust,
    Rather than talk about your '98 Coleman Rio in a topic based on a 2001 Coleman Westlake, please start a new topic in: http://popupportal.com/forums/lift-systems.48/ that way the answers won't be mixed between the two different PUPs. Thanks.

10. Wanderlust67

Wanderlust67 Member

Will do. I'm new to this type of page. Thanks