Next question - how best to repair the awning attachment

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by TexasTRex, Jan 7, 2022.

1. TexasTRex

TexasTRex New Member

An awning came with the 2008 Fleetwood Sedona that we bought 3 years ago. We never used it much because we couldn't figure out how to set it up. I have finally figured out what was missing and ordered the extra parts, now I realize that the 'cording' or material that slides into the groove is no longer firm enough to hold it fully in place. I realize I can probably find an upholstery person to rebuild the outer zipper case but they usually aren't cheap.
    Does anyone have a better solution? Otherwise the awning is in perfect shape!
    I was considering building a bracket to attach there and then attaching the awning and pouch to it but haven't gotten past the thought.

Thanks for you help!
    Toni

2. Everett Bartlett

Everett Bartlett Active Member

Look up on here a article titled "Awning bag challenge". The rope is is available from KEDER inc. For canvas , and zippers, check SAILRITE.

TexasTRex likes this.
  3. TexasTRex

TexasTRex New Member

Perfect. Thank you.

4. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

It isn't very costly to have someone sew a new awning rope portion on the bag. I just had mine done last year along with a few fixes to a couple of portions of the awning and I think it was $60 or something like that.

5. TexasTRex

TexasTRex New Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. I would happily pay someone $60 to repair the kedar but I have not been able to find the 8mm. All of the sites have 8.5mm!
    Does anyone have any 8mm or know where to find it?

6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I have this problem and I haven't addressed it yet. How do you transport the thing to a shop for repairs? I think mine is 12 ft long. Doesn't fit in the trunk. :)

Anyway I bet if you can find a shop to do the repair, they'd also be able to source the materials.

7. Everett Bartlett

Everett Bartlett Active Member

To TexasTRex;
    Sorry about that, fat fingered the measurement, It should be 8.5mm Keder. Sorry about not getting back to you sooner, was out fishing.

8. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

The bag of our awning totally crapped out from UV sun rays on it. The awning itself was still in great shape. We use it every time we set up. The brand of ours is Carefree of Colorado. A whole new awning was going to be $400 + tax. I had a local guy here make a new bag for it. He used 18 oz vinyl, #10 zipper, and made it quite a bit looser than what the original was. It was always a challenge to close the zipper on it. He charged $200 for it and it turned out excellent. If you can't get yours fixed up, this might be another route you could take.