Next time, I'll just turn it on myself.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Mamagoogins, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

Second trip in the new to us pop up with hubby...
    This is the conversation with my dh while camping in the pouring rain two weeks ago as the temp started dropping.
    Me: Honey can you run outside to turn on the propane?
    Rick: Why, we're not using the stove are we?
    Me: No but the heater takes propane. It's going to get down to 40 tonight. I think you forgot to hook up the propane. I turned up the thermostat but it's just blowing cold air and I don't hear the pilot light igniting.
    Rick: The heater runs on electricity.
    Me: No, it runs on propane.
    Rick: I'd bet my life it runs on electricity. (This as he is examining the heater to determine what I did wrong.)
    Me: Trust me, it runs on propane. The boys and I used it on our trip to Acadia. ( He is now on his hands and knees with a flashlight examining the inner workings of the thermostat.)
    Me: (10 minutes later) Humor me, try the propane.
    Rick: let me find the manual (searches cabinets)
    Me: It's in that cabinet. (I point to the one he needs to look in.)
    Rick: I know it's here somewhere. (5 minutes later he looks in the cabinet I pointed out). Here it is. (Hands it to me). Find the section on the furnace. I'm going to figure this thing out...(Returns to tinkering with the heater)
    Me: (3 minutes later). "This furnace runs only on propane. Do not attempt to light the pilot light, it will light automatically". (Read directly from the manual)
    Rick: Let me see that-that can't be right. (2 minutes later). I'm going outside to turn on the propane.
    Me: Good idea.

2. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Men....we know everything don't we [;)] add a wife in the mix and we are NEVER WRONG [LOL]

3. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

That gave me a good chuckle!

Sent from my iPad

4. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

Sounds like normal wedded bliss to me. [:D] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

5. davido

davido Active Member

Hm. And I've explained 15 times now to DW that the furnace uses propane for heat and battery power to run the blower. If your husband ever got together with my wife they would freeze (and it would serve them right).

6. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Good story. I think he was just trying to get you to go out and hook it up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

7. steveonzakon

steveonzakon Member

Why would you need the furnace when it gets to 40? Seems the temp is just getting comfy about then. I told my DW I wanted to pull our furnace out and put a 3 way freezer in its spot. The freezer could make ice to put into our ice box to keep my beer cold. Much more important than a furnace keeping us warm.

8. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

A good DW would have gone outside and turned the propane on herself with bothering her DH. I am sure he was busy thinking about something else important or solving some major world problem...Or maybe we are that thick headed at times. I prefer to go with the first one.

9. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

If you you do it right, then she expects you to do it every time. Do it wrong, then she leaves you alone... [:D]

10. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I am the Captain of my ship and the Captain should know everything about it and how it works!!! He should also know what the weather is going to be like before setting sail or in this case turning in for the night. It is the Captains job to make sure everyone is safe and comfortable. The most important thing is knowledge of your vessel. In case of an issue you will know exactly what to do before frustrations kicks in and ruins a good trip. Yes,I am a boating instructor. My Job is to train people how to operate, maintain and take care of their vessel. [:D]

11. just jim

just jim New Member

Something I learned in life ....... I have been married 35 years here is one thing to remember

Make your choice , DO YOU WANT TO BE HAPPY? OR DO YOU WANT TO BE RIGHT ? THINK ABOUT IT GUYS .

12. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

A happy wife is a happy life! [;)]

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

My DW has a good heart, but likes to listen to outsiders. So I don't offer much advise to her, I just do it.

14. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the chuckle!!! Perfect for a Wednesday morning!! [LOL]

15. Kimmygr

Kimmygr Member

What a great laugh! [LOL] [LOL] Tis nice to know I am not the only one with a DH like that! Just give him a huge hug and tell him, "it's alright Dear," as you quietly giggle to yourself. Wouldn't want to hurt his delicate manhood. [;)]

16. WingShot

WingShot New Member

Makes me wonder how long you've been married. We recently celebrated our 25th Anniversary, but I'm sure I learned by the second or third year not to argue with the Princess. [;)]

17. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

Reading all of your responses today made me smile! We've been married 10 years, very happily. This is how we communicate pretty much all the time, haha. I seriously thought about going out and hooking it up myself so he could have a Christmas Vacation light moment where his tinkering suddenly fixed everything but to be honest I (and my teenage sons) were enjoying watching him attempt to figure it out on his own. I have camped all my life. He is very new to camping - took me 12 years to get him to go camping after our first outing. He's figuring it out :)

18. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

If it's not a huge issue, I'll always choose to be happy and let the DW prove me right. [;)]

19. Ktamsor2

Ktamsor2 That which doesn't kill me..........should run.

Thanks for the laughs! There should be a "like" button on the comments. I'd have clicked it on all of them! LOL

20. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

..then I'm sure you're familiar with this set of rules (which I used to have on a small brass plate on the bulkhead...)

Rule 1. The Captain is Always Right.
    Rule 2. In the event of error, see Rule 1.

[:D]